Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Black Box Fitting

Sponsored by Chris Knott Insurance
bluestreak56
Lifer
Lifer

Black Box Fitting

Post by bluestreak56 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:27 pm

Due to the fact I had a claim last year, it would appear that my premium will be going up this year whatever I do (to be expected).

As such I'm scrounging around for quotes. Admiral Multi-car is proving a rip off this year so I have cancelled it as I can get each car insured cheaper individually elsewhere.

Admiral have quoted me £708 (£350 excess)
Bell (sister company of Admiral) have quoted me £610 if I have a black box fitted.

I'm sceptical about

Has anyone else had one fitted? It sounds invasive (fitted behind the dash etc)
Last edited by bluestreak56 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nova2k7

Re: Black Box Fitting

Post by Nova2k7 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:30 pm

i work for the software company that develops software for the insurance industry, i'm working on certain aspects of these.

i personally would not have one! simply as i know how i drive and know i would end up being charged a fortune! if you are consistently safe/slow driver with no harsh breaking then you might see a benefit. if it was me i would take the extra cost on the chin and get a normal policy, these are more designed for new young drivers!

ChrisKnottIns

Post by ChrisKnottIns » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:43 pm

Have you called us yet bluestreak56? I'm sure we could improve on those quotes without the need of a black box.
Chris Knott Insurance - 0800 917 2274 (or 01424 200477)
Club code: Z4-866
LIKE us on Facebook / Follow us on Twitter

bluestreak56
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bluestreak56 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:19 pm

ChrisKnottIns wrote:Have you called us yet bluestreak56? I'm sure we could improve on those quotes without the need of a black box.
Yes unfortunately quote over £2500 because I have a claim in the last 6 months.

bluestreak56
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bluestreak56 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:21 pm

Nova2k7 wrote:i work for the software company that develops software for the insurance industry, i'm working on certain aspects of these.

i personally would not have one! simply as i know how i drive and know i would end up being charged a fortune! if you are consistently safe/slow driver with no harsh breaking then you might see a benefit. if it was me i would take the extra cost on the chin and get a normal policy, these are more designed for new young drivers!
Good to know - I drive like my grandma 97% of the time..

The difference in price is £100 on the policy for a year, I think I might just bite the bullet on the cost for a year as I'd rather not have some device soldered under my dash..

Sim_Simma

Post by Sim_Simma » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:40 pm

bluestreak56 wrote:
ChrisKnottIns wrote:Have you called us yet bluestreak56? I'm sure we could improve on those quotes without the need of a black box.
:rofl: thats ridiculous! Your other quotes aren't too bad though how old are you and what engine is your zed? I made a claim in October and have paid 1150 for an M at 24. 0 ncb now so don't think that was bad at all. What makes a massive difference for me is adding older drivers that have a clean record.

bluestreak56
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bluestreak56 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:00 pm

3.0 Sport Coupe Auto (2007)
Male 29 Isleworth West London.
2yrs NCB, 1 claims £1800.
Mum (58) clean license 16 yrs NCB and dad (58) clean license 16 yrs NCB as named drivers
£350 excess (£250 of that is voluntary)
Legal cover
Parked on the drive / Garage
SDP No commuting
3k miles per year

chrissrush

Post by chrissrush » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:39 pm

I wont ever be having a black box...

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... cord&mid=0
2009 118d & 2007 Z4MR

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:47 pm

bluestreak56 wrote:
Wow £2500!!! They where a bit more expensive for me but not that much!!!
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

Redzedfour
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Redzedfour » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:51 pm

bluestreak56 wrote:3.0 Sport Coupe Auto (2007)
2yrs NCB, 1 claims £1800.
Mum (58) clean license 16 yrs NCB and dad (58) clean license 16 yrs NCB as named drivers
Legal cover
SDP No commuting
3k miles per year
The only thing that is pushing up the premium out of the above stats is the word "London" my advice is move out of London then you will see the premiums come down IMO :D :thumbsup:
Previous,Bright Red 2.2 Roadster
Gone 3.0si Sport coupe Auto,Pearl Grey Leather & Piano Black. MODS, Stubby,Aux,Aero Wipers,De-Badged,452's & Led N/P lights

bluestreak56
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bluestreak56 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:08 pm

Redzedfour wrote:
bluestreak56 wrote:3.0 Sport Coupe Auto (2007)
2yrs NCB, 1 claim £1800.
Legal cover
SDP No commuting
3k miles per year
The only thing that is pushing up the premium out of the above stats is the word "London" my advice is move out of London then you will see the premiums come down IMO :D :thumbsup:
How right you are:

http://www.motorcarinsuranceuk.co.uk/po ... ings.php#T

Band E which is ludicrous as other clearly dodgier areas are so low in comparison!!

Unfortunately I cant afford to move away and I live less than a mile from my work so...

Oakandacorns

Post by Oakandacorns » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:28 pm

Hi bluestreak56
Nova2k7 wrote:.. if it was me i would take the extra cost on the chin and get a normal policy, these are more designed for new young drivers!
+1

When the car insurance was up for renewal on another car in the family last year the cheapest quote (I got excited) turned out to be one where they wanted a black box to be fitted too (not so excited). I decided against this and paid the extra (10s, can't remember exactly how much). I think my other reason for going with who we used was also because hadn't heard of the insurance company name or the underwriter so (maybe incorrectly) went with the next cheapest which was a 'big' name.

I'd go with a 'normal' policy if I were you. What about the 3% of the time or if you took Coupe on a track day :poke: .

Hope the claim stuff got sorted. Have you thought about increasing the voluntary excess? (Balancing again't the likelihood of making a claim in the next year). Oh what's the £100 part compulsory excess for?
Oakandacorns
Former: 2.5 (04), Ellipsoid alloys, Heated seats, RFT, OEM Wind Deflector
Love it

bluestreak56
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bluestreak56 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:15 pm

Oakandacorns wrote:Hi bluestreak56
Nova2k7 wrote:.. if it was me i would take the extra cost on the chin and get a normal policy, these are more designed for new young drivers!
+1

When the car insurance was up for renewal on another car in the family last year the cheapest quote (I got excited) turned out to be one where they wanted a black box to be fitted too (not so excited). I decided against this and paid the extra (10s, can't remember exactly how much). I think my other reason for going with who we used was also because hadn't heard of the insurance company name or the underwriter so (maybe incorrectly) went with the next cheapest which was a 'big' name.

I'd go with a 'normal' policy if I were you. What about the 3% of the time or if you took Coupe on a track day :poke: .

Hope the claim stuff got sorted. Have you thought about increasing the voluntary excess? (Balancing again't the likelihood of making a claim in the next year). Oh what's the £100 part compulsory excess for?
£100 compulsary, £250 voluntary

Ive messed with each level and this is the cheapest overall policy.

Oakandacorns

Post by Oakandacorns » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:49 pm

Deleted because needed to add more, below, sorry.
Last edited by Oakandacorns on Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oakandacorns
Love it

Oakandacorns

Post by Oakandacorns » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:58 pm

Sim_Simma wrote:
bluestreak56 wrote:
:rofl: thats ridiculous! Your other quotes aren't too bad though how old are you and what engine is your zed? I made a claim in October and have paid 1150 for an M at 24. 0 ncb now so don't think that was bad at all. What makes a massive difference for me is adding older drivers that have a clean record.
+1 Found that about having older drivers on too. Sim_Simma that is a bargain price for your car! :thumbsup:

I have heard before that if parked on drive that can be cheaper than parked in garage. Never made sense to me before until the reason I heard was that people have accidents going in and out of a garage - this made sense.

You've prob tried already as you mentioned their details above; adding your parents to see if make it cheaper?
Oakandacorns
Love it