Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Questions about quotes with a claim

Sponsored by Chris Knott Insurance
bluestreak56
Lifer
Lifer

Questions about quotes with a claim

Post by bluestreak56 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:11 am

Apologies if this sounds silly but I've never had to add this information before.

When quoting for car insurance and adding your claim details there are several questions asked:

Total Cost of Claim : Does this mean the total cost to me? ie how much excess I had to pay or the total cost of the repair bill for the vehicle?

Was the driver at fault : If the claim was agreed as a 50 : 50 incident does this mean yes or no?

Naturally by making my total claim cost my excess (£175) rather than total repair bill (over £1800) and selected driver at fault no it brings down the quote.

The difference works out around £50 online and seems to be due to the "Was the driver at fault" part..

Any ideas? I don't want to be fraudulent but at the same time the explanations given online are vague and don't tell you which one I should tick..

Thanks

Sim_Simma

Re: Questions about quotes with a claim

Post by Sim_Simma » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:28 pm

Cost would be what the insurance had to pay out in total but not sure about the at fault part tbh

bluestreak56
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bluestreak56 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:34 pm

Thanks Sim_Simma

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:12 am

how would would you know anyway, if you had had an accident previously the insurance company would have just sorted it out

Liam-O

Post by Liam-O » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:03 am

Usually 50:50 goes down as both parties at fault as opposed to neither party at fault. So on the box, select at fault claim.

As above, it's the cost of the whole claim, not just the repair of your vehicle but any personal injury, solicitor fees etc.

The best thing to do is call your old insurance, they will confirm straight away. Alternatively, your new insurer can pull most of the data from the shared database I believe. Elephant was able to go into a lot of detail about my dads previous claim with esure.
Liam - O

2005 Z4 2.2SE Grey - Sold

:rtfm: HOW TO: Fitting a Z4M Bumper

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:17 am

As above, fault claim and full cost of repairs.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:21 am

Was it 50:50 or 'knock for knock'?

With the latter it's only the. It's to your insurer that you have to declare.

If it's 50:50, then it's 50% of the total claim for both parties. So if you hit a Ferrari and both had similar damage, the claim would of course be much bigger than if you'd only hit a Z4. So you,d need to find out how much the claim was fro the other vehicle.

Alternatively, and what I've done in the past, to put unknown. As at the time of the renewal I didn't have a copy of the repair bill.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:49 am

mmm-five wrote:Was it 50:50 or 'knock for knock'?

With the latter it's only the. It's to your insurer that you have to declare.

If it's 50:50, then it's 50% of the total claim for both parties. So if you hit a Ferrari and both had similar damage, the claim would of course be much bigger than if you'd only hit a Z4. So you,d need to find out how much the claim was fro the other vehicle.

Alternatively, and what I've done in the past, to put unknown. As at the time of the renewal I didn't have a copy of the repair bill.
+1.

£50 extra isnt bad though. Cost me more adding my aftermarket wheels! :lol:

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk