Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What do insurers count as a modification

Sponsored by Chris Knott Insurance
tkeenan

What do insurers count as a modification

Post by tkeenan » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:32 am

I was wondering if someone would be able to clarify what insurers actually count as a modification to a vehicle. For example if I was to put a set of OE 107's on my car instead of my current alloys does this count? What if they are non OE? Likewise would the same count for a steering wheel change or retrim? :dizzy:

Thanks!

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Re: What do insurers count as a modification

Post by Adamski » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:25 am

I think we clarified recently that any change to the car which alters it's state from how it rolled out of the factory is a modification.

I've told my insurance company about changes in wheel colour, fitting OEM cruise control etc etc - not an issue.
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

Half Colin

Post by Half Colin » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:31 am

Each insurer tends to be different so the only sure way it to give yours a call.
Now E92 330D M Sport, Sapphire Black, AC Schnitzers and carbon badges soon
Sold E86 3.0si Sport, Sapphire Black, AC Schnitzers, carbon badges, ZHP, stubby and NO RUNFLATS!

ChrisKnottIns

Post by ChrisKnottIns » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:39 am

Yes, what Half Colin said. Tell your insurer and they'll decide whether to make a charge or not.
Chris Knott Insurance - 0800 917 2274 (or 01424 200477)
Club code: Z4-866
LIKE us on Facebook / Follow us on Twitter

Atom1

Post by Atom1 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:56 am

Anything from a bumper sticker to an engine remap !! lol

I know its silly but I would always check just to be safe.
Gone - '63' reg BMW Z4 S Drive 20i M Sport LCi - Alpine White, Coral Red Leather.
Daily drive - '64' reg 320d M Sport, sport auto, Alpine White, Coral Red Leather, M Sport + Pack
Weekend Fun - '56' reg BMW Z4 M Coupe, Saphire Black, Red Leather.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:20 am

Varies by insurance company and by the person you speak to :) Call 5 times to the same company, get 5 different answers.

My policy on my new X5 was hilarious in the end - the modification list was just stated as "various internal modifications", whatever that means. Oh - I did not modify the X5 either just listed all the options I had checked on the order list.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

tkeenan

Post by tkeenan » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:55 pm

Thanks for the replies guy's :D

VvrooomM

Post by VvrooomM » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:24 pm

What don't they consider would be a safer question!!
Z4MC midnight blue with CSL's + VREDs, extd light sepang leather, folding mirrors, stubby aerial, retro bluetooth, prof nav, intravee ipod kit, storage and cup holders!!, laser LRC100, DSP hi-fi, storage and privacy.....is that it?

PlumbNB1

Post by PlumbNB1 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:05 pm

From experience declare any mods
1) if stolen, insurers could claim non standard 'flashy' wheels (for example) made the car more attractive to thieves
2) if involved in an accident mods such as lowered suspension, re-mapped engine etc meant the vehicle wasn't performing as manufacturer intended (even if the performance was improved)
3) If any third party was seriously injured then claims could run into tens of thousands of pounds, not a situation you want to find your insurance has been revoked due to an undeclared modification (bit like not closing your windows as required on your house contents policy and getting burgled)
I wasn't charged any extra for my mods so would recommend advising them just for peace of mind!
'53 Sterling Grey 3.0i SE Manual Roadster

Peter P

Post by Peter P » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:59 pm

Some good advice on here.

Given I work in the insurance industry (not cars before anyone asks! Lol), I would point out one other important issue.

By declaring all of your mods to the insurer, they should be able to increase the value of your car to compensate for the mods. So if you have £2K worth of alloys on your Zed (BBS etc), then some of that value can be incorporated into the overall value (will depend on the company, but factor maybe 50% of the value for most things).

Yes you will end up paying a higher premium, but at least you won't lose out completely if the worst should happen, and some tea leaf pinches your pride and joy :cry:

The number of people who have spent more on mods than the car itself, who then have it stolen and get nothing back (apart from the value of the stock car) is suprisingly high.

Minor mods like stickers etc shouldn't increase your premiums, but by declaring them to the insurer, you are in a far better position should something happen.

Post codes and whether you have off-road parking/garage, CAT 1 alarm and immobiliser all play a part in what you will be quoted.

Final word is be clear and totally upfront with the insurer/broker. Last thing you want is to be told your not covered due to non-disclosure of a material fact, when you're already hurting from losing or having your pride and joy in a prang.

Final, final thing: Always read through your certificate and make sure everything is as you described. The certificate itself isn't normally more than a couple of pages, but it's time well spent.

Hope this helps. :)

ChrisKnottIns

Post by ChrisKnottIns » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:06 pm

Peter P wrote: Final word is be clear and totally upfront with the insurer/broker. Last thing you want is to be told your not covered due to non-disclosure of a material fact, when you're already hurting from losing or having your pride and joy in a prang.
New rules mean that it is down to the insurer/broker to ask the right questions and record the answers properly. The Consumer Insurance (Disclosure and Representations) Act 2012 came into force a month or so ago.

Under the Act it is still the duty of consumers to take reasonable care not to make a misrepresentation to the insurer but there will no longer be a need for consumers to volunteer information that an insurer might regard as material. This increases the onus on providers to ask the right questions (and properly record the answers).

The result is that claims can no longer be thrown out just because the consumer didn't disclose a certain detail. The test is whether the omission was ‘deliberate or reckless’ or merely ‘careless’.

The insurer will be able to refuse a claim where a consumer deliberately or recklessly makes a misrepresentation. But the remedies for the less serious, 'careless', misrepresentation are based on what the insurer would have done if the consumer had complied with the duty to take reasonable care.

This helps consumers and should reduce the incidence of claims disputes. Good news for the motorist.
Chris Knott Insurance - 0800 917 2274 (or 01424 200477)
Club code: Z4-866
LIKE us on Facebook / Follow us on Twitter