Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

non fault accident disclosure

Sponsored by Chris Knott Insurance
DPG
Lifer
Lifer

non fault accident disclosure

Post by DPG » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:21 pm

With a non fault insurance claim what do you put down in the cost when declaring it on your renewal?

I had an incident a while back where someone bumped my car while it was parked. The other parties insurance company dealt with it all and I have no idea what the overall cost (repair and courtesy car) was.

When doing a confused.com for quotes, I just put £0.

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Re: non fault accident disclosure

Post by sars » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:46 pm

If you were in the car at the time, then yes you have had an accident, if you were not in the car then you haven't.

Just remember that insurance companies share information, if you make a claim any false information given to them may invalidate your insurance.

Now here's an interesting thought, if you were a passenger in a car that was involved in an accident.......
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:55 pm

sars wrote:If you were in the car at the time, then yes you have had an accident, if you were not in the car then you haven't.
Not quite..... legal definition is as follows;

'Definition of a road traffic collision [accident]

The law [UK] defines a reportable road traffic collision [accident] as an accident involving a mechanically-propelled vehicle on a road or other public area which causes:

Injury or damage to anybody - other than the driver of that vehicle,
Injury or damage to an animal- other than one being carried on that vehicle (an animal is classes as a horse, cattle, ass, mule, sheep, pig, goat or dog).
Damage to a vehicle - other than the vehicle which caused the accident.
Damage to property constructed on, affixed to, growing in, or otherwise forming part of the land where the road is.'
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:11 pm

DPG - may vary from company to company.

I used to work in insurance (sssssshh :rofl: ) - and most companies will be ok if you disclose. Tell them you have no idea what cost, but let them know as much detail as you can remember. Shouldnt affect your premium.

Hope this helps

Adam
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

wegras

Post by wegras » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:03 pm

What about the scenario where damage is cosmetic and the 3rd party pays in full out of their own pocket as their vehicle was not damaged ? :?
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family