Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What's the worst bit of your zed?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:41 pm

9designs wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:09 pm The notchy gear change

The steering on my face lift feels much heavier and positive than my old pre face lift, will it still be electric or did the face lift get hydraulic same as the M ? As it feels more like the M I test drove.... it doesn't change with the sport button the old one did.
If you haven't changed your gearbox oil then give it a go as my shift is now one of the nice things about the car.

Your steering is still electric and the sport button does make it heavier but it's hardly night and day different.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:49 pm

It used to be the auto-locking, but I had that deprogrammed when I got it serviced!

Nothing else, apart from maybe (Coupe owners look away now) the birdbath. :oops: :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

9designs

Post by 9designs » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:50 pm

I was also thinking to add some Slik 50 ... it's done 41k I assume no oil change on the box.
57 Plate 3.0 Si Auto SilverGrey - Red Leather
E89 35iS Space Grey - Red Leather. SOLD
56 Plate 3.0 SI Manual - Black with Red Leather- Scorpion exhaust, BC coil overs SOLD
54 Plate 3.0 SE Auto - Silver with Red Leather. SOLD

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:57 pm

Joycey wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:27 pm
Machine monkey wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:00 pm
Joycey wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:41 am Electric power steering is annoying. Coming from an old M to the coupes steering is annoying, I kept over compensating in the first few weeks of ownership.
Swap it over to hydralic happy to help out. Your local you can come use our 2 post when both mine and my mates supra are finished.
I've been looking into this alot. easy enough to do ?
Haven't actually finished mine. Or driven with it. But yes buy the right bits unbolt and re bolt just swapping and changing things.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

Wood Butcher

Post by Wood Butcher » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:14 pm

For me, it's definitely all the rattles and squeaks in the cabin, they are really spoiling my enjoyment of the car. I've been removing parts of the trim and trying to insert foam between the pieces to stop them banging/rubbing against each other. This has worked up to a point, but new noises appear all the time

Now it's summer, I'm getting different pieces of trim rattling to when it was colder, and the roller cover for the tailgate is a rattle fest in itself. The wanky cupholders vibrate like mad at certain revs too.

The coupe is my first BMW, previously I'd had Vauxhall and Ford, they didn't really rattle or squeak much, so had expected rather more quality from the interior. It was only after I bought the car, I discovered they were made in America, which probably explains the terrible cheapness and rubbish quality! :thumbsdown: :fuelfire:

Boris

Post by Boris » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:24 pm

Boris wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:47 pm
Boris wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:45 pm
coupedan wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:09 pm

Buy a facelift car :wink:

In all seriousness, the facelift cars had more sound insulation / deadening.
I already have the sheets of sound insulation and the new Butyl tape to refit the liners has just arrived today :thumbsup:
In amongst other things I've installed one door with sound deadening tonight, what a difference.

Not quite up to my E Class Merc quality but a major improvement. :thumbsup:
Door number two done tonight, I don't have to check if my neighbours are around before I close the doors now :-)

BlastDK

Post by BlastDK » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:39 am

GuidoK wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:22 pm
BlastDK wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:52 am and with that being possible with out the LSD that will be pushed a little furter down on the list of ugrades.
The LSD mostly shines in situations where traction is most difficult. Tight corners etc. Especially things like hairpins on mountain roads
The increase in possible cornerspeed is immense, your exit speed gets a huge boost.
Yes that is true, its still on the list :) Just a little further down.. I have had a few issues in the wet, and as you say in the hairpins on a mountain road. It will come one day.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:06 am

Wood Butcher wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:14 pm For me, it's definitely all the rattles and squeaks in the cabin, they are really spoiling my enjoyment of the car. I've been removing parts of the trim and trying to insert foam between the pieces to stop them banging/rubbing against each other. This has worked up to a point, but new noises appear all the time

Now it's summer, I'm getting different pieces of trim rattling to when it was colder, and the roller cover for the tailgate is a rattle fest in itself. The wanky cupholders vibrate like mad at certain revs too.

The coupe is my first BMW, previously I'd had Vauxhall and Ford, they didn't really rattle or squeak much, so had expected rather more quality from the interior. It was only after I bought the car, I discovered they were made in America, which probably explains the terrible cheapness and rubbish quality! :thumbsdown: :fuelfire:
The American assembly plant is quite something - the quality control and assembly process is second to none. There's a vid on here somewhere, small comfort for you with all your rattles I guess - I haven't got a tailgate but mine cabin is as tight as a drum and quiet as a mouse, very odd.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Paulr

Post by Paulr » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:16 am

As soon as they started building Mercedes in the USA the quality of the vehicles dropped. Maybe the same has happened with BMW - great factory processes and procedures, but cost cutting on things like cheaper trim clips and materials.
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

z4pilot

Post by z4pilot » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:18 am

Door pin rattling right behind my ear! :x Need to try the insulation tape trick - one for the weekend.... Crappy glovebox catch - can never decide whether a gentle close or sharp slam is the best tactic.... Paint that seems to scratch/chip easily, but then takes forever to buff swirls out - why??? Crashy suspension - did BMW never look at the quality of UK roads when they designed the thing? I thought they did part of their testing on Belgian cobbles, not just at the Ring...

But then I park it up, walk away, look over my shoulder and forgive it :wink:
Now Gone - 2008 Coupe, Montego Blue, Champagne leather and Piano Black interior, Eibachs & Koni Sport shocks, Style 230 19s, Eisenmann Quad - approaching perfection...

Zeddicus

Post by Zeddicus » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:09 pm

As already mentioned several times: rattling and noises from the cabin!
I just drove my Coupe right after a Porsche Boxster last week end, I was amazed how solid felt the Porsche and how painful it was to get in the BMW afterwards :lol:
Z4 3.0si Coupe 2007 - Sapphire Black

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:51 pm

With regards the glovebox catch you just need to adjust the position of it using the screw and then you can fine tune it. Mine required too firm a push before but now it closes easily with no rattling (which is what happens if you make it too loose).
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Boris

Post by Boris » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:51 pm

Wood Butcher wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:14 pm For me, it's definitely all the rattles and squeaks in the cabin, they are really spoiling my enjoyment of the car. I've been removing parts of the trim and trying to insert foam between the pieces to stop them banging/rubbing against each other. This has worked up to a point, but new noises appear all the time

I don't know what car you have, how old it is, or if you have had it from new, but don't forget some of these cars could be 14 years old and been in the hands of numerous owners who have taken them apart themselves and not put them back together as they were originally intended, so any squeaks and rattles could be down to them and not the original assembly.

I've had my car a few weeks and I've already had most of the interior out and back in, and I must say not a squeak or rattle to be heard :thumbsup:

step_change

Post by step_change » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:06 pm

Cruise control not as standard. Come on BMW, how much to make that a standard feature? Peanuts.
Seatbelt cutting into neck.
Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:05 pm

My car didn't come with peanuts :? :x :D
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...