Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Having dashcam fitted tomorrow...

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Monkeeboy

Post by Monkeeboy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:32 pm

Cheers for the replies chaps.

highway1

Post by highway1 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:25 am

Just out of interest; what do all you people do who have dash cams wired in; do when you want to go on a "spirited" drive? Can you simply switch it off?

Because we all know that if you were involved in a collision; even if you were speeding earlier or if that had no bearing on an incident; the insurance people would still give you a hard time over it!?

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:35 am

highway1 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:25 am Just out of interest; what do all you people do who have dash cams wired in; do when you want to go on a "spirited" drive? Can you simply switch it off?

Because we all know that if you were involved in a collision; even if you were speeding earlier or if that had no bearing on an incident; the insurance people would still give you a hard time over it!?
More for protection from the other road users.. Yes, you could land yourself in it through self-incrimination, BUT I think it's a small price to pay for being able to trace some f***wit that runs into you and drives off, or pulls out on you whilst you are negotiating a roundabout etc...
Mike

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:42 am

highway1 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:25 am Because we all know that if you were involved in a collision; even if you were speeding earlier or if that had no bearing on an incident; the insurance people would still give you a hard time over it!?
Nonsense, driving over the speed limit or even recklessly cannot affect the validity of your insurance policy. Now, for the police that might be a different matter! Most cameras allow you to enable / disable the GPS speed overlay on the footage (but I guess it could still be fairly easily worked out with time and distance between two points).

If you crash because you have been driving like t**t and nobody else was involved then you need to take it on the chin. Crash because of driving like a t**t and injure somebody else then you better lose that dash cam sharpish as it could be used in a criminal prosecution against you. Which you would probably deserve in all fairness!
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

1000rr

Post by 1000rr » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:03 pm

The pros of having a dashcam far outweigh the cons. After some bint in a car reversed into me a few moths ago, she was denying liability saying I kept coming even though she had her reverse lights on.... I showed her the dashcam footage and it clearly showed her not looking and her reverse light not even working. She paid up within 2 days. If you drive like a tool, and get caught, then take it on the chin.
Sterling 3.0, Bentley burgundy leather, Aeros..
Ducati Supersport S

highway1

Post by highway1 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:10 pm

Thanks for replies.

Not so much " driving like a tool" but most have us have driven are cars hard ( what's the point in having a powerful car otherwise) but when safe to do so- for example; not even pushing that hard I can easily hit 80 plus on some of the straighter; good visibility roads across Exmoor but this obviously wouldn't look so good in the eye's of the law as " speed kills"!!

Will probably get a dash cam soon( will be compulsory one day I suppose) but looking at threads on piston heads best switch off/ leave home before a bit of a hoon!!

Paulr

Post by Paulr » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:46 pm

D4dawg wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:59 pm A bat wouldve been easier;)
You know, my first thought there was, what is the use of a bat? They are tiny and live in caves...maybe it was dark?

It's an innocent life here in Tunbridge Wells.
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:19 pm

highway1 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:25 am Just out of interest; what do all you people do who have dash cams wired in; do when you want to go on a "spirited" drive? Can you simply switch it off?

My Dash Cam information is my information. There is no compulsion to hand over anything to a third party.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:17 pm

ronk wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:19 pm My Dash Cam information is my information. There is no compulsion to hand over anything to a third party.
...perhaps. Perhaps not https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/dash-ca ... ed-to-know
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:19 pm

ronk wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:19 pm

My Dash Cam information is my information. There is no compulsion to hand over anything to a third party.
Sorry but that sounds like a lot of bravado rather than fact based defence to not hand over.
The posted ‘Which’ article seems reasonable and logical.
For arguments sake are you suggesting that if you were involved in an accident that on the balance of probabilities you thought in that instant of time was you fault, you’d hide the cam, remove the chip or refuse to hand it to an officer if one arrived on the scene?
What’s the reference that any such action is legal?
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:40 pm

Isn’t there something in law about self incrimination?
Ie “no comment “ interviews. I know it doesn’t work when the who was driving question is asked ( speed camera situation)

I also think there might be a difference between what the police have the authority to demand and what an insurance company can demand!

I do notice that the Which report does say a police officer can ask for dash cam footage but it doesn’t make it clear if the information can be demanded. No bravado from me but I’m not going to throw myself on my sword.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

PHILGZ4

Post by PHILGZ4 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:52 pm

Prets83 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:25 pm Afternoon Gents,

As the title states, having a nextbase 312G fitted tomorrow by Halfords. They fitted the exact same one to my sisters 1 series and its fantastic.

After a 50+ yr old driver who needed educating in using the correct lanes and not cutting people up (with a beep), he decided to violently brake hard in front of me twice to teach me a lesson I suppose with other drivers having to slow down around me, probably shocked as much as I was. Probably more in shock when he decided to get out of his car.
Don't worry, I saw my opportunity to get away as quick as I could without things going bad to worse. Anyway, I had a cinema date so didn't have time to hang around.

Anyway, its situations like this which could have ended badly for me had I hit him and the best plan of action is to have a dash cam fitted.

Now when I spoke to Halfords regarding the fitting, they said that if the fuse box doesn't have an ignition fuse, they would need to order a special part.
Am I being taking for a ride on this one?

Thanks
how did you get on with this?. I went to Halfords yesterday and the girl said the fuse was too big to fit in the fuse box slot.Then said they don’t have any other product to use. This was the nextbase 312 plus the hardwire kit. Found it strange then seen this post. Any advice would be great.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:21 pm

PHILGZ4 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:52 pm how did you get on with this?. I went to Halfords yesterday and the girl said the fuse was too big to fit in the fuse box slot.Then said they don’t have any other product to use. This was the nextbase 312 plus the hardwire kit. Found it strange then seen this post. Any advice would be great.
...sounds like Halfords just being retards as usual. Just need to get the right size piggy back fuse.

PHILGZ4

Post by PHILGZ4 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:38 pm

ph001 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:21 pm
PHILGZ4 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:52 pm how did you get on with this?. I went to Halfords yesterday and the girl said the fuse was too big to fit in the fuse box slot.Then said they don’t have any other product to use. This was the nextbase 312 plus the hardwire kit. Found it strange then seen this post. Any advice would be great.
...sounds like Halfords just being retards as usual. Just need to get the right size piggy back fuse.
that’s what I thought but she said that the piggy back one in the kit was too big. Not sure why they don’t have other sizes. Will try another depot. But that’s all it will be?. Not that it can’t be done according to hopeless Halfords!

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:47 pm

imj not getting this, i bought this and plug it into the cig lighter- 18 quid job done :D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REAR-VIEW-MI ... 0012.m1985
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.