Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Having dashcam fitted tomorrow...

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Prets83

Post by Prets83 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:25 pm

Afternoon Gents,

As the title states, having a nextbase 312G fitted tomorrow by Halfords. They fitted the exact same one to my sisters 1 series and its fantastic.

After a 50+ yr old driver who needed educating in using the correct lanes and not cutting people up (with a beep), he decided to violently brake hard in front of me twice to teach me a lesson I suppose with other drivers having to slow down around me, probably shocked as much as I was. Probably more in shock when he decided to get out of his car.
Don't worry, I saw my opportunity to get away as quick as I could without things going bad to worse. Anyway, I had a cinema date so didn't have time to hang around.

Anyway, its situations like this which could have ended badly for me had I hit him and the best plan of action is to have a dash cam fitted.

Now when I spoke to Halfords regarding the fitting, they said that if the fuse box doesn't have an ignition fuse, they would need to order a special part.
Am I being taking for a ride on this one?

Thanks

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:08 pm

Probably. There are plenty of fuses you could put a tap fuse across to feed a switched live to the camera in the E85, and if its a permanent live you are after, then you can use the cigarette lighter fuse.

I've installed a few of these now for family and friends (although I tend to use the DDPai or Roadhawk series). Pretty straight forward to do.
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

Prets83

Post by Prets83 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:11 pm

Thanks Mark, appreciate the feedback :)

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:13 pm

This thread will also help. Good luck :thumbsup:
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:32 pm

Fitted mine years ago and is an easy job. Just drop the centre light and tap into the ignition feed (the one that runs the lights). Fix an earth to a convenient point such as the sat nav GPS receiver mount and you're done
No long wires to run as the camera will no doubt be up behind the mirror
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:35 am

My method was to put a spade connector into a vacant fuse spot, add an inline fuse and mount the power adapter near the glovebox. The USB lead then runs up the passenger A pillar secured with OE clips and to the dashcam. Still haven't got around to making a USB cable sized notch in the mirror covering. It's neat and 100% removable.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

NickDE

Post by NickDE » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:15 am

I used the nextbase wiring kit in my E86. No problems finding a live and earth in the fuse box behind the glovebox. Also reasonably easy to run the wire up to the dashcam next to the mirror.
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:59 pm

A bat wouldve been easier;)

Prets83

Post by Prets83 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:47 pm

Cheers for the feedback guys - all fitted now and working sweetly.

The hardwire kit cost £20 and for an extra £10, they would fit it so it just made sense.

A bat would have sufficed nicely but can imagine some phone w****r recording the situation and posting it online. It could have been ages before my next comment on the forum :rofl:

Monkeeboy

Post by Monkeeboy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:36 pm

Hi I have booked my Z4 2.5 06 plate facelift roadster in to Hlafords to have next base 512gw fitted but they struggled to find an earth point behind the glovebox. It due back in this Sunday - any help on identifying an earth would be appreciated.

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:56 pm

You're brave man if you're letting a young eek from Halfords take your interior apart. I'm not sure I'd even let one change a rear light bulb !

However, this may help you:-
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=73905
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:02 am

cj10jeeper wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:32 pm Fitted mine years ago and is an easy job. Just drop the centre light and tap into the ignition feed (the one that runs the lights). Fix an earth to a convenient point such as the sat nav GPS receiver mount and you're done
No long wires to run as the camera will no doubt be up behind the mirror
Easy job for you.

For someone like me who hasn't got a clue about electrics, it would be an absolute nightmare.

Tap into this and fixing an earth...nope, haven't got a clue.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Magicarcher

Post by Magicarcher » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:07 pm

Monkeeboy wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:36 pm Hi I have booked my Z4 2.5 06 plate facelift roadster in to Hlafords to have next base 512gw fitted but they struggled to find an earth point behind the glovebox. It due back in this Sunday - any help on identifying an earth would be appreciated.
When I looked into this I couldn't find any easily accessible earth locations behind glove box. the easiest I could find to access was drivers footwell right hand A post trim panel (the plastic speaker cover). Remove this and there are various earth locations.
Z4 3.0L 2005. Titan Silver. Audio Upgrade Second Stereo Pioneer X8700DAB, Sony Xplode 4 x 70W Amp, 6.5" Reckhorn Subs in rear cubby, Focal AS165-3 in fronts.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:45 pm

Monkeeboy wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:36 pm Hi I have booked my Z4 2.5 06 plate facelift roadster in to Hlafords to have next base 512gw fitted but they struggled to find an earth point behind the glovebox. It due back in this Sunday - any help on identifying an earth would be appreciated.
Muppets... They can't find an earth in that area, and you are letting them loose on your car?? Probably tried earthing under one of the screws securing the glovebox, and not realised they only go into plastic, for Gawd's sake, there is a massive structural crossmember behind there with all sorts of places to attach an earth...

Mike

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:22 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:45 pm

Muppets... They can't find an earth in that area, and you are letting them loose on your car?? Probably tried earthing under one of the screws securing the glovebox, and not realised they only go into plastic, for Gawd's sake, there is a massive structural crossmember behind there with all sorts of places to attach an earth...

Mike
And not forgetting the convenient screw in earth above the mirror where the light unit is earthed. That must be a whole 20cm from the camera locatiom :)
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills