Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Headlights: advice needed on xenon dipped & halogen main beam bulbs + sidelights

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
rally-chris

Headlights: advice needed on xenon dipped & halogen main beam bulbs + sidelights

Post by rally-chris » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:32 pm

scarlet-jester wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:41 am I was going to start a new thread on this but thought it prudent to add to this one instead.

So it appears that I may have the same issue.
Z4 OSFH.jpg

The picture shows the front off-side cluster. The RHS light is a xenon and functions as dip and full beam. The inside light has the early days angle-eye, but does nothing more. On auto, manual, full beam and flash, the inside lights do nothing. Have a 2006 3.0Si and presumed I was running 'bi-xenons'.

This may be useful (or not), and indicates the inside light is a 'dummy'.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showp ... stcount=27

Any ideas?
Not sure your post has been answered, so...

That is correct, facelift E85 (and all E86) xenons are Bi-Xenon on the outer light and the inner one does nothing except house the angel eye and look pretty. Earlier BMW Bi Xenons (e.g. pre facelift E85) have an H7 halogen bulb in the inner light that comes on with high beam as well as the full beam Xenon from the outer light (but might only be when you operate the flasher, can't remember!).

For all models with Bi Xenon, the outer light has a single D2S Xenon bulb, then there is a solenoid operated shutter that rotates down to lower (cut off) the beam for the dipped beam setting.

Chris
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue