Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Brake Force Display Coding

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
wyshyvanuk

Post by wyshyvanuk » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:09 am

Scooba Steve = Brilliant!!!! Could you provide the settings you chose for the Brake Lights section? Thank you so much!!!

wyshyvanuk

Post by wyshyvanuk » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:03 pm

I had sent a couple of emails to Carly requesting information on enabling the BFD on the E85/86. Received the second, much more helpful, response today. The email string follows:

Theodore Wyshyvanuk
Dec 13, 17:17 CET
Good morning. I own a 2008 BMW Z4 (E85). Under the "Brake lights" coding function, there is very little information concerning what the listed items will change. By comparison, the "Brake lights" coding for the BMW E89 model appears to be very well documented. Is there a source for any additional information for the "Brake lights" for the E85, similar to the listed E89 information? Thank you for your help!!
Ted

Robert (Carly) (Carly)
Dec 14, 12:41 CET
Hi,
On our website we write in which module the coding can be found.
We write this directly behind a coding as '...codable in...'.
Possible modules are for instance CAS, KOMBI, FRM, etc. (so we always use abbreviations).
I've gone ahead and pulled the direct link to this information
(Which codings you have to select, to get it worked):
http://support.mycarly.com/knowledge-ba ... -possible/
If you can access this module, but the coding isn't listed there, then the software of your module doesn't support this coding unfortunately.
In case one or more modules for coding are greyed out or not listed, we have a special support article regarding trouble with module access:
http://support.mycarly.com/knowledge-ba ... le-coding/

Theodore Wyshyvanuk
Dec 14, 15:40 CET
Good morning, Robert. Thanks for the quick reply.
For my car, the Brake Force Display functions are code able in the LSZ module, and none of those listings are “grayed out”. The issue we are having is a lack of information concerning what changes on the car can be expected by choosing the “on" or “off” alternatives.
Unfortunately, there is no indication what items 2/5 through 5/5 actually affect on the car, if either the “on” or “off” value is chosen. There is typically (as on the E89) the ability to change the road speed at which the Brake Force Display is activated, the actual blinking frequency of the lights, and the specific lights that are affected by the Brake Force Display. We are not aware of any Carly users who have successfully changed any coding for the Brake Force Display function, although many have tried.
Thanks for any additional light you can shed on this issue!!
Kind regards,
Ted

Robert (Carly) (Carly)
Dec 19, 10:06 CET
Hi Theodore,
Our engineer is a big Z4 fan, so he took the time to explain every coding in detail.
Here's his response:
There are multiple stages for the brake force display in the E85.
In order to activate the flashing brake lights, we need to activate the BFD function in general (1/5), activate stage 3 (2/5) and stage 2 (3/5), and also set the stage 3 as the default stage (4/5) and turn on flashing for stage 3 (5/5). We didn't find a way to turn on the flashing for stage 2, that's why the brake force display takes 5 options to be turned on in the E85. In the E89 it is a little less complex, since the BFD function in partly activated by default.
Best regards and merry Christmas!
Robert - Carly Expert Team

I haven't thought my way through the Stage 2 vs Stage 3 difference, but this looks like an excellent addition to Scooba Steve's information.
Cheers
Ted

wyshyvanuk

Post by wyshyvanuk » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:14 pm

Just found an explanation of Stages 2 and 3, as they apply to the E46. I suspect there may be some carry-over to the E85/86.

The BMW 3 series (E46 platform) offered a safety feature called Adaptive Brake Lights, also known as Brake Force Display. The purpose of the lights is to indicate to drivers behind the car that you are braking at an intense level. When the car detects braking that surpasses a certain deceleration rate, either an extra set of lights illuminates in addition to the regular brake lights, or an existing set of lights illuminates brighter than it does in normal operation. On the E46 platform (facelift models), an existing set of lights lights up brighter than normal. The vehicle in the demonstration is a 2005 330i (ZHP). The first braking exercise in the video shows normal brake light operation under normal conditions. The bottom row of lights are the running lights, running at half brightness. Their state does not change, but the top most set of lights illuminate to show braking action. The second run shows Brake Force Display at Stage 2, which is where the car is detecting a harder stop. It illuminates the running lights to full brightness. This is the default state of E46 cars in the United States. The final run shows the European setting, Stage 3, which is not enabled in the U.S. (this may be disabled on European vehicles as well) In this Stage, the running lights are illuminated at full brightness (Stage 2), and in addition to that, the standard brake lights start to flash, thereby grabbing the attention of drivers behind more quickly. In this demonstration, this stage is activated when ABS is activated. This can be enabled by using NCS Expert, a factory-level software for BMW, and can be set to come on either when Stage 2 comes on (before ABS kicks in) or when ABS kicks in. (The dealer cannot do this for you) Brake Force Display (up to Stage 2) is standard on U.S. sedans from model years 2003.5-2005 and coupes/convertibles 2004-2006.

philipw

Post by philipw » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:42 pm

Gents I have just programmed BFD stage 3 on my car (both centre/side lights flash). The settings I modified are below and you will find them in the LSZ module. This is made a lot easier when programming is done using NCS dummy.

BFD_SW1_STUFE2 aktiv (BFD Stage 2 activation using Deceleration Sensor)
BFD_SW2_STUFE2 nicht_aktiv (BFD Stage 2 activation using Deceleration Sensor)
BFD_ABS_STUFE2 aktiv (BFD Stage 2 activation using ABS sensor)
BFD_SW1_STUFE3 aktiv (BFD Stage 3 activation using Deceleration Sensor)
BFD_SW2_STUFE3 nicht_aktiv (BFD Stage 3 activation using Deceleration Sensor)
BFD_ABS_STUFE3 aktiv (BFD Stage 3 activation using ABS sensor)
BLST1_BLST3 aktiv (Outer tail lights blink during Stage 3 as well)

On my car these settings were already set to wert_02, modify if not.
BFD_BLINK_EINZEIT wert_02
BFD_BLINK_AUSZEIT wert_02
08 Carbon Black M Coupe

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:38 pm

Very useful, sorry I didn't get around to posting mine up
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:55 pm

philipw wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:42 pm Gents I have just programmed BFD stage 3 on my car (both centre/side lights flash). The settings I modified are below and you will find them in the LSZ module. This is made a lot easier when programming is done using NCS dummy.

I'm going to do some tweaking with mine - can you confirm your fogs come on solid and only brake lights flash, or do the fogs flash too?
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

philipw

Post by philipw » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:57 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:55 pm
philipw wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:42 pm Gents I have just programmed BFD stage 3 on my car (both centre/side lights flash). The settings I modified are below and you will find them in the LSZ module. This is made a lot easier when programming is done using NCS dummy.

I'm going to do some tweaking with mine - can you confirm your fogs come on solid and only brake lights flash, or do the fogs flash too?
Not sure if the fogs come on solid now. The outside and centre lights flash as per the vid below of an M3.

08 Carbon Black M Coupe

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:46 pm

Thanks will try and get another video of mine now I've turned everything on!

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:56 am

Scooba_Steve wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:46 pm Thanks will try and get another video of mine now I've turned everything on!
If I bump into you again I wouldn’t mind this!!

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:49 pm

JINGLE wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:56 am If I bump into you again I wouldn’t mind this!!
Anytime buddy :thumbsup:

philipw

Post by philipw » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:52 pm

08 Carbon Black M Coupe

Liam22

Post by Liam22 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:39 pm

Any tips about how to turn all of the BFD off? It's against most race series regulations to have anything other than simple brake light illumination.

philipw

Post by philipw » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:34 am

Liam22 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:39 pm Any tips about how to turn all of the BFD off? It's against most race series regulations to have anything other than simple brake light illumination.
I have not tried to do this however in the LSZ module, you will find

PIN5_10_BFD- BRAKE FORCE DISPLAY WITH BRAKE LIGHTS
Set to nicht_activ

It makes sense that this would turn the stage 2, inner fog lights off. Use NCS dummy to make it easier.
08 Carbon Black M Coupe