Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What have you done to your car today?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:59 pm

Thrustyjust wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:53 pm Bit of time to tinker this weekend, so decided to remove the grilles and then remove the bar behind it to strip the old powder coat off and repaint. 4 X Torx 30 bolts undone and out it came. I managed to peel the majority off by hand as seems it wasnt prepped before coating from new . Cleaning the corrosion off with emery cloth also gave a decent key for the new paint. Using my favourite of Plastikote, I then moved it into the 'paint booth' and gave it 4 coats of gloss black. :roll: I also painted the bolts black.
I also cleaned out the plastics and the crash bar didnt want to be black , more of a grey , white , so a bit of masking up and a few more coats of black and its all done. Looks a bit brown, but it was wet and dried a nice gloss black.
Also cleaned out many years of feathers, straw and other junk out the rads with a hoover while in there and bolted and clipped back into place to complete :thumbsup:
I painted that bar in situ. I ended up using loads of ripped up bits of cat food boxes to protect the surrounding areas :lol: wish I had bothered to try and undo the bolts now, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Still came out fine in the end, for me :thumbsup:

My coating was also flaking off the bare metal underneath. They must be really cheaply coated from the factory.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

parabolica

Post by parabolica » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:22 pm

g3org3y wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:32 pm Today I unblocked the drain holes. Left side was actually clear with no water. Right side let out quite a lot on the drive so I'm happy that's sorted (for a while).
I had the same a few weekends ago; ended up having to sacrifice a piece of sturdy-yet-flexible electrical cabling so I could ram it up and down the drain pipe to get the rubber unclogged; quite the torrent that came out eventually!

Thrustyjust

Post by Thrustyjust » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:40 pm

ben g wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:59 pm
Thrustyjust wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:53 pm Bit of time to tinker this weekend, so decided to remove the grilles and then remove the bar behind it to strip the old powder coat off and repaint. 4 X Torx 30 bolts undone and out it came. I managed to peel the majority off by hand as seems it wasnt prepped before coating from new . Cleaning the corrosion off with emery cloth also gave a decent key for the new paint. Using my favourite of Plastikote, I then moved it into the 'paint booth' and gave it 4 coats of gloss black. :roll: I also painted the bolts black.
I also cleaned out the plastics and the crash bar didnt want to be black , more of a grey , white , so a bit of masking up and a few more coats of black and its all done. Looks a bit brown, but it was wet and dried a nice gloss black.
Also cleaned out many years of feathers, straw and other junk out the rads with a hoover while in there and bolted and clipped back into place to complete :thumbsup:
I painted that bar in situ. I ended up using loads of ripped up bits of cat food boxes to protect the surrounding areas :lol: wish I had bothered to try and undo the bolts now, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Still came out fine in the end, for me :thumbsup:

My coating was also flaking off the bare metal underneath. They must be really cheaply coated from the factory.
Must have taken you more time to mask up than it took me to paint it :lol:
My spray booth as seen was the front garden after I was painting motorbike bits in the garage and contaminated the Zed, last time the paint came out , so rather I got flies and bugs on it in the garden while painting than having to clay the whole car again :D
There did seem to be no etching of any kind on the bar which explains while it just fell off when I peeled it off.
E86 In sapphire black

g3org3y

Post by g3org3y » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:28 pm

parabolica wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:22 pm I had the same a few weekends ago; ended up having to sacrifice a piece of sturdy-yet-flexible electrical cabling so I could ram it up and down the drain pipe to get the rubber unclogged; quite the torrent that came out eventually!
Wire coat hanger :wink:

Today I drove my car to work for the first time. Everyone said it looked 'very posh'. I told them it was my wife's car. :lol:
2007 Z4 3.0Si Sport. Manual, Montego Blue :driving:

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:58 am

Mega drive this weekend. Stayed with a few mates in North Wales, so naturally made the most of the chance and did a lovely 150 mile loop round, taking in some fantastic roads (Horseshoe Pass and Llanberis Pass are some bloody stunning roads).

Thrustyjust

Post by Thrustyjust » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:22 pm

All of 30 seconds today so far in fitting the bonnet bump ejector thingy to lift the bonnet when you pull the lever. Thats both now changed . I have also given the Eibach front springs ( new) an additional coat of POR 15 black paint last night and may start swapping them in the next few days. Need to book a geo for Saturday if all goes to plan.
Last edited by Thrustyjust on Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E86 In sapphire black

Rocket

Post by Rocket » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:27 pm

I had to get some peanuts for the bird feeder so went to a shop 12 miles away. On the way home I decided I must find a shop further away next time. When I got home I noticed a few bits of dust on the car so decided to wash it again. Looked so good parked there I decided to take some pics of it. Typical Z day

ImageDSC07376.jpg , on Flickr

ImageDSC07382.jpg , on Flickr

ImageDSC07388.jpg , on Flickr

bz4kev

Post by bz4kev » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:47 pm

Treated the zed to a Z4m carbon leather dash sick of looking at the aluminium :?
Screenshot_20190709-172934_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20190709-172934_eBay.jpg (41.56 KiB) Viewed 851 times
2004 z4 30i auto Toledo blue stubby Areo front back sideskirts and rear spoiler M/// MFSW DLV exhaust mod mma tips vanos overhaul 108s refurbed ram air scoop E46 M3 heated seats clear rear lights M/// sport black grills

Spaniarduk

Post by Spaniarduk » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:09 pm

scarlet-jester wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:52 am Took the front bumper off for the first time today with the aim of cleaning the xenon's, (they crazy dim and now I know why!), giving the lights a polish to remove the oxidation and to replace the angel eye bulbs with some LEDs to boost the brightness - overall, mixed results - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=115931

Clean xenon's look great so very pleased with that. Overall success or failure will based on getting them back in, in working order ....
2019-07-06 15.50.38.jpg
Oh!!! Geeeesasssss...!!!!!! All that muck! Was it only the front of the lens? How about the inner back side? Was it difficult to get the projectors out? Mine are not too bad, but i could do with a bit more light if I'm honest
Volando voy
Volando vengo
Volando voy
Volando vengo, -engo
Y por el camino
Yo me entretengo 🕺💃

Thrustyjust

Post by Thrustyjust » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:34 pm

Knackered..................... just done the front Eibachs fitting. That was a long few hours. Especially when you put the washer in the wrong place so the steering top bearing doesnt go round :roll: . Still after 3 hrs of humid spannering , I can say the car rides really nicely now . Only done about 10 miles and seems more compliant on smaller bumps and less rolling on roundabouts. Really happy and now need to book a geo at the weekend to complete the suspension mods for now.
I did check the steering bearings and I found them smooth and splodged a bit of grease in there as you can. Also the bump stops and gaitors were also great nick. Drop links for ARB had no play , so good to check while in bits.
No photos as really cant be arsed after all that work tonight . Maybe sneak a piccie tomorrow after I have removed my sweaty forehead prints and oily hands off the wings...........ooops :lol:
Officially owned the car 8 weeks today and loving it :thumbsup:
E86 In sapphire black

scarlet-jester

Post by scarlet-jester » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:41 pm

Spaniarduk wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:09 pm Oh!!! Geeeesasssss...!!!!!! All that muck! Was it only the front of the lens? How about the inner back side? Was it difficult to get the projectors out? Mine are not too bad, but i could do with a bit more light if I'm honest
Crazy right! When I got the car I could not believe how dim the lights were - for me it was borderline dangerous how dim they were! Biggest hassle was getting the front bumper off as I broke one of the mounting brackets. Now having done it once, next time should be pretty straight forward.

Once you get the lights out (straightforward) getting the projectors out is simple as long as you have a half decent socket set. Cleaning was easy as there is plenty of room to get your hand inside to clean both sides of the lens - I found both sides were equally dirty.
E85 - 2006 3.0Si

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:36 pm

Boo Hoo...
Attachments
IMG_20190628_180508[1].jpg
IMG_20190628_180508[1].jpg (157.13 KiB) Viewed 723 times
2006.5 E86 Z4C si SE Phoenix Yellow

jamesditchy

Post by jamesditchy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:41 pm

Finally got round to sanding and polishing the headlights
Attachments
Screenshot_20190710-223934_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190710-223934_Gallery.jpg (156.14 KiB) Viewed 722 times

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:47 pm

Z4C_er wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:36 pmBoo Hoo...
Wow! That's hardly been run in - you need to enjoy it more. :laugh:

Mine has just gone past 90K miles, and I thought that was low!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Big Andra

Post by Big Andra » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:35 am

Z4C_er wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:36 pmBoo Hoo...
I hope you're still giving it a bed time story :poke:
2009 E89 2.5 Alpine white.