Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What have you done to your car today?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
thespannerman

Post by thespannerman » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:54 pm

Hi, not sure how old the post was about the paper clip mod but my ash tray lid won’t stay closed either. I am struggling to see where the paper clip mod is in the pics shown. Is it just the one screw under the removable ashtray to remove the whole unit.

Cheers
Al
BMW newbie, 2003 E85 2.5 SE - but after 10 Discoveries this ought to be a walk in the park :P

steve_naive

Post by steve_naive » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:47 am

Pabby1980 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:06 pm
PeteyZ4 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:09 pm
the airbag ECU will be up for sale when it arrives.
Will the unit clear the airbag warning light? My dog triggers mine when she sits on the passenger seat (weird I know) so I could do with something that clears the codes rather than paying my mechanic every time I need the MOT done.

If it does clear the light, how much would you want for it?

Cheers. Paul.
I bought one of these recently and it’s well worth the money.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AUTOPHIX-Diagn ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

Can cycle the abs brake pump thingy when changing brake fluid and all sorts. More than enough features for the occasional tinkerer.

I was getting the DSC warning lights and just went for an MOT. Code was for pressure sensor 1. Knew it would be a fail, mentioned it to the tester who just smiled.

Not only did he pass it, he fixed the problem. :o Must have knocked it when I changed the shocks.
Two new tyres yesterday. I’m buzzing.

Nil advisories. :thumbsup:

Dave1963

Post by Dave1963 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:14 am

Dyed the roof to get it back to a deep black

Zulu4

Post by Zulu4 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:45 am

Dave1963 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:14 am Dyed the roof to get it back to a deep black
What product did you use Dave ?
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

yipikayee

Post by yipikayee » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:05 pm

new bilstein b4 front shocks and drop links :thumbsup:
04' 3.0i

Ali0191

Post by Ali0191 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:24 pm

Wrapped grill, pillars and one wing mirror in gloss black (just ran out of time for the second mirror, not a look I am going for on purpose!)

Enjoying experimenting with the wrapping knowing I can just pull it off when I like!
Attachments
DA565736-3C06-4FBD-B4CF-CB446322C85E.jpeg
DA565736-3C06-4FBD-B4CF-CB446322C85E.jpeg (177.26 KiB) Viewed 691 times

Dave1963

Post by Dave1963 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:40 pm

Zulu4, I will get back to you. Gone away for the weekend.
I have to give it another coat and then seal it. I will let you know how it goes.

RichD

Post by RichD » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:37 pm

Hi all, Been away from the group for a couple of years. The car has been sadly stuck in the garage and decided to sell our daily car and use the Z4 instead. This has led to a pretty busy week !

Monday - MOT
Tuesday- Focal ibus 2.1 install (wow !)
Thursday - engine oil change using liqui Moly 5w-40
Gearbox and diff oil change & LUK clutch
Friday - new fuel cap, ZHP gear stick and Air con re-gas (groupon offer through ATS)
Eibach 12mm spacers all round

Next week - braided brake lines & oil change
Focal 165as3 3 way components if I can get hold of them

Just looking into HID as I forgot how horrendous the z4 halogen lights are. Just catching up on all the forum posts and it seems like new projectors are really needed to take advantage?

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:49 pm

Ali0191 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:24 pm Wrapped grill, pillars and one wing mirror in gloss black (just ran out of time for the second mirror, not a look I am going for on purpose!)

Enjoying experimenting with the wrapping knowing I can just pull it off when I like!
How was wrapping the wing mirror ? I'm toying with the idea of doing mine. Did you do it in situ or take it off ? Did you use one piece of wrap or several ?
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

steve_naive

Post by steve_naive » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:55 am

Buoyed by this morning's clean MOT I tried out the 3m headlight restorer kit with my drill. Took ages and results are not that impressive. Was worth a shot.

Double cleaned and treated the roof with Autoglym products. Was well overdue and frankly bogging beforehand.
Quick handwash and ran out of time to clay bar/wax.

Dropped my iphone and cracked the screen. Bugger.

Ali0191

Post by Ali0191 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:20 pm

patriot66 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:49 pm
Ali0191 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:24 pm Wrapped grill, pillars and one wing mirror in gloss black (just ran out of time for the second mirror, not a look I am going for on purpose!)

How was wrapping the wing mirror ? I'm toying with the idea of doing mine. Did you do it in situ or take it off ? Did you use one piece of wrap or several ?
Took me a couple of hours. But that was with some trial and error. Going to do the second this evening and hopefully won’t take more than an hour.

I took it off, having just taken the second off in a few minutes it is well worth it. If you haven’t done it Bigwinn wrote a quick how to in another thread for me not to long ago, I try and link it when I have time later!

I used several pieces as I had a roll and have just been experimenting with it. I cut the joins to follow the contours of the mirror. Only noticeable if you go looking for it but concerned over the longevity, might start to peel with use and washing? I don’t know, never used vinyl before.

I just found the trick was to have a lot of spare wrap, then I could pull and flex around the curves etc. and all the wrinkles and stretch marks were then in spare vinyl I cut off. Possible with a large single piece this would work even more effectively although I reckon joins/wrinkles would be inevitable on the mirror side with one large piece. At least for a beginner like me!

For my second mirror I plan to start on the mirror side on the inside and work round to join in the centre.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:25 pm

Solved the wife's noisy rear end (!!!)
Fitted new rear shocks, top mounts, reinforcing plates, bump stops, drop links and ARB bushes.
Now just waiting for her to get home so we can take it on a test drive.
Big thank you to Stuart (Bigwinn) for all the advice and tips. Having sheared one of the ARB bush bracket bolts I'm glad I had spares to hand as he suggested.
Did a straight swap, nothing fancy. All the old stuff still had the 2003 date on it, so after 102k it was due a revamp.
Have a feeling the front end is next on the list now!
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

steve_naive

Post by steve_naive » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:55 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:25 pm Solved the wife's noisy rear end (!!!)
Fitted new rear shocks, top mounts, reinforcing plates, bump stops, drop links and ARB bushes.
Big thank you to Stuart (Bigwinn) for all the advice and tips. Having sheared one of the ARB bush bracket bolts I'm glad I had spares to hand as he suggested.
Did a straight swap, nothing fancy. All the old stuff still had the 2003 date on it, so after 102k it was due a revamp.
Delighted for your missus. Nobody likes the embarrassment of a noisy rear end. :D

I finally finished the detail from hell today. Glad I held off buying a DA polisher because that might have finished me off. Claying was tedious enough. Autoglym might not be the most aggressive of stuff but for a hand clean and polish, piece of cake. Not sure about the super resin as a wax, might have to carnuba it soon.

You can really see all the wee chips and scrapes now. :oops:

I absolutely have to get the garage cleared before winter because I'm not going through this again. Perished hoses, mouldy roof, etc.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:07 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:25 pm Solved the wife's noisy rear end (!!!)
I’m telling Vall you said he had a noisy rear end…
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:49 pm

bigwinn wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:07 pm
I’m telling Vall you said he had a noisy rear end…
I'm telling her you think she's a 'he'!
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.