Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What have you done to your car today?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:19 pm

You can change on the move.

When you hit Sport with the throttle depressed to any degree there is no immediate change. When you next lift off the throttle on reapplication it will have changed to give more throttle opening for less pedal travel.

When you turn Sport off with the throttle depressed it immediately goes back to normal which can easily be felt on the motorway as the car slows down slightly.

For ages I drove around in Sport everywhere except town where 1st gear is annoyingly jumpy. It is great for heel and toe. Then I started using normal again and found the steering better and even more involvement as more control over the throttle and more input required to get the same effect.

To be frank, electric throttle is a right royal pain in the arse on any car I can recall. I miss a good old cable as it did what you asked, nothing more and nothing less. None of this damped or oversprung response BS.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

blackabbot

Post by blackabbot » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:28 pm

Took it to my local indie for the mot, failed on nearside wiper blade hadn't noticed small split in it, bought new bosch blades fitted them, PASSED, one advisory for left rear tyre low tread which I will change.
Pretty good result for a ten year old car :driving:
2008, E85 2.0i sport, Titan Silver, Hardtop, ZHP Gear Knob, Chrome Exhaust Tip , Hydro Graphic Carbon Interior, DLV roof motor relocation and CDV delete and a Whippy :D

Uncle_Gravy

Post by Uncle_Gravy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:10 pm

I'll be fitting my new clear third brake light when I get home.

Question though, I'm not sure if I have the old "82N" springs or the new ones, Not sure how to tell, would I be safe with finger tight each of them, then half or one turn with the socket?

Cheers.

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:21 pm

Uncle_Gravy wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:10 pmI'll be fitting my new clear third brake light when I get home.

Question though, I'm not sure if I have the old "82N" springs or the new ones, Not sure how to tell, would I be safe with finger tight each of them, then half or one turn with the socket?

Cheers.
For the sake of a £10 fitting kit, i'd buy the new springs and nuts. I replaced mine and bought the fitting kit over a year ago and have no cracks as yet.

Before, i bought a new unit but reused the original nuts and springs and it cracked within a few months.

Mind you, some of the actual led's inside the unit have failed on this new one. Shoddy BMW quality :headbang:
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Uncle_Gravy

Post by Uncle_Gravy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:36 pm

ben g wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:21 pm
For the sake of a £10 fitting kit, i'd buy the new springs and nuts. I replaced mine and bought the fitting kit over a year ago and have no cracks as yet.

Before, i bought a new unit but reused the original nuts and springs and it cracked within a few months.

Mind you, some of the actual led's inside the unit have failed on this new one. Shoddy BMW quality :headbang:

Sad times, I'll fit for now and buy the fitting kit and change it over when I get them, I don't want to drive my car with the rear light lens held to the car with cellotape anymore :(

Anyone got the part numbers to hand for the revised springs and nuts?

Cheers.

Update

Light is in, The springs looked fairly new, not sure if that means anything but when I find the parts number i'll change it regardless

Another question though, I don't know how far to tighten it, I've gone as far as tightening the nuts until it wouldn't turn no more which was rather easy, there was no sign of the nut getting tighter it just stops, so I then loosened each half a turn just in case i've just tightened it waaaaaay too much, Is this correct or have I just over tightened it?

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mcbeee » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:30 am

Got my parts from BMW and installed them today. Now I have a complete wheel liner in the left rear, a working light in the fender and a new new channel cover on the belly. The M is complete again. :D :D :D
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GAZA62 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:12 am

Insurance sorted for another year so that's all 3 done the road tax being the most painful :x :thumbsdown: my MOT and insurance together cost less
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

IF IT WAS NOT FOR BAD LUCK I'D HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL

bowler

Post by bowler » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:21 am

Just had a call the wheels are ready at the Powder coaters, so off to pick the car up will post some pictures later.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:55 pm

Took it out of the garage long enough to put the bins out and straight back in. With 4 inches of snow and temperature at freezing all day that's all she gets.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Mark-Z4

Post by Mark-Z4 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:49 pm

Fitted these today, swapped the bases over with my SE seats to make them heated/electric memory. Love them, so comfortable and huggy.
Attachments
20180118_164723.jpg
20180118_164723.jpg (142.83 KiB) Viewed 564 times
E86 - Space Grey | Grey Oregon Pearl Leather | Sport Interior | ///M Bumper | Aero Skirts | Piano Black Trim | ///M Wheel | Eibach Pro | CSL | HID | LED | ZHP | MM Tips | Stubby SOLD

earthdweller

Post by earthdweller » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:19 pm

Nanu wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:55 pmTook it out of the garage long enough to put the bins out and straight back in. With 4 inches of snow and temperature at freezing all day that's all she gets.
Reversed mine out of the garage to let the gas man service the boiler ..

It got snowed on ( a little ) before I put it away again
07 3.0si Sport Roadster Titanium Silver/Syrah Blue Individual Leather, CSL reps ZHP

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:41 pm

Mark-Z4 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:49 pmFitted these today, swapped the bases over with my SE seats to make them heated/electric memory. Love them, so comfortable and huggy.
Nice job :thumbsup:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:48 pm

Steve84N wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:19 pmYou can change on the move.

When you hit Sport with the throttle depressed to any degree there is no immediate change. When you next lift off the throttle on reapplication it will have changed to give more throttle opening for less pedal travel.

When you turn Sport off with the throttle depressed it immediately goes back to normal which can easily be felt on the motorway as the car slows down slightly.

For ages I drove around in Sport everywhere except town where 1st gear is annoyingly jumpy. It is great for heel and toe. Then I started using normal again and found the steering better and even more involvement as more control over the throttle and more input required to get the same effect.

To be frank, electric throttle is a right royal pain in the arse on any car I can recall. I miss a good old cable as it did what you asked, nothing more and nothing less. None of this damped or oversprung response BS.
Interesting observations.

I drive around in Sport mode all the time - every journey is ignition on and button pressed. I prefer the lighter more responsive throttle response, however, I cant really notice any difference in the steering.
My understanding it that the steering feel is supposed to change in Sport mode - tighten up / heavier?
Leaving aside the throttle response, are you saying that you prefer the feel of the steering when not in Sport mode?
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Attilio

Post by Attilio » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:01 pm

Mark-Z4 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:49 pmFitted these today, swapped the bases over with my SE seats to make them heated/electric memory. Love them, so comfortable and huggy.
they look fab! :thumbsup:
Z4M Coupe, Interlagos blue, black leather, piano black, stubby, OEM CSLs, evolve intake, cup holders...pretty much stock
2019 Toyota Corolla hybrid 2.0L - new daily drive

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:58 pm

Marlon wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:48 pm Interesting observations.

I drive around in Sport mode all the time - every journey is ignition on and button pressed. I prefer the lighter more responsive throttle response, however, I cant really notice any difference in the steering.
My understanding it that the steering feel is supposed to change in Sport mode - tighten up / heavier?
Leaving aside the throttle response, are you saying that you prefer the feel of the steering when not in Sport mode?
The steering isn't night and day different but it is heavier. There's no extra 'tightness' or change in lock required for a given angle. So yes, I did find after rediscovering standard that the steering feel was marginally better with less gloop in standard.

It's easiest to feel the difference when parking so try it on/off then.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc