Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW Z4 HardTop Wind Noise Help ''Photos''

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
orfanidis360

Post by orfanidis360 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:56 pm

Purchased a hardtop today.There seems to be a bit of a gap between where the hardtop meets the upper windshield frame left and right. A wind noise starts at about 40mph and gets really loud as I increase speed. Please help!
Does the hardtop need an adjustment by an approved Bmw dealer?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/117 ... %20LHD.pdf
Bmw says the installation time is approx. 1 hour.
It took me less than 5 minutes to install it.

05' Black 3.0i,Sepang Bronce M Interior,M Exterior,M Exhaust System,17' Style32,18' Style203,Quaife Diff,Hardtop
SOLD

omar

Bmw Z4 HardTop Wind Noise Help

Post by omar » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:35 pm

Adjustments are easy but time consuming. You'll just need a 5mm rawlplug as a guide. What you do is adjust the locking pins that go into the car up and down with the aim of getting a 5mm gap between the roof and the body behind the side window. After that it should be fine tuning though I never got mine to stay totally quiet above 80mph until I added some draught proofing foam tape to the front edge of the roof and the deformations in the windscreen rubber seal caused by the soft top over time. There's a BMW tech bulletin on this somewhere.

Just to be clear, Increasing the gap I mention tilts the roof forward to eliminate the gap at the windscreen. Good luck!
Toy: 2005 E85, 2.5i, Mauritius Blue, Retrofitted electric leather seats & 18" E90 193 style wheels, Hardtop, Xenon kit
Sensible car: 2012 F10 ActiveHybrid 5

orfanidis360

Post by orfanidis360 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:35 pm

omar wrote:Adjustments are easy but time consuming. You'll just need a 5mm rawlplug as a guide. What you do is adjust the locking pins that go into the car up and down with the aim of getting a 5mm gap between the roof and the body behind the side window. After that it should be fine tuning though I never got mine to stay totally quiet above 80mph until I added some draught proofing foam tape to the front edge of the roof and the deformations in the windscreen rubber seal caused by the soft top over time. There's a BMW tech bulletin on this somewhere.

Just to be clear, Increasing the gap I mention tilts the roof forward to eliminate the gap at the windscreen. Good luck!
Thanks omar for the response!
So based on the BMW tech bulletin an approved Bmw dealer will be able to adjust it, right?
05' Black 3.0i,Sepang Bronce M Interior,M Exterior,M Exhaust System,17' Style32,18' Style203,Quaife Diff,Hardtop
SOLD

Paulj100

Post by Paulj100 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:02 pm

I had a simulier problem when I bought my hard top there would be wind coming in from the front edge above the window screen but was simple fix for me just pressed hard down on the hardtop front edge and it dropped about 1-2mm then made sure it was locked down from inside, cured all the wind noise instantly. Love the hardtop transforms the Z

Hope you get it sorted.

Paul
BMW Z4 E85 3.0. Metallic sterling grey with matching Hard top, 108's red leather seats & interior OM sat nav
OM stubby Ariel and full Aero Kit: Paul's OM+ Project
MK 1 Audi TT 225 fully restored. keeper :driving:Image

orfanidis360

Post by orfanidis360 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:05 pm

Paulj100 wrote:I had a simulier problem when I bought my hard top there would be wind coming in from the front edge above the window screen but was simple fix for me just pressed hard down on the hardtop front edge and it dropped about 1-2mm then made sure it was locked down from inside, cured all the wind noise instantly. Love the hardtop transforms the Z

Hope you get it sorted.

Paul
It definitely tranforms the car. Actually it is a matter of taste. Personally, I decided to buy a hardtop because I wanted a quieter cabin when travelling. But basen on my current situation, it is proved that it is even worse. :? Hope to get it sorted!
SOLD

orfanidis360

Post by orfanidis360 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:33 pm

Left the car today at the approved dealer for the hardtop adjustment and the paintjob.
To be honest I quite liked the color combination of the silver & black, but decided to get the car all black!

There is also a damage on the plastic at the right front corner of the hardtop (it is visible at the 4th photo above). Bmw couln't give me a guarantee for the paintjob on that. Also some glue will be put on.

These are the consequences of a used hardtop. Took me a long time to find one.
But 800 Euros (625,48 British Pounds) seemed a good price.( Hardtop Cover & Stand Trolley Storage included)
SOLD

orfanidis360

Post by orfanidis360 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:34 pm

No solution was found for the hardtop.
Tried also the official workshop manual BMW gives for ''Wind noises from the hardtop''.
http://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/z_serie ... rdtop_e85/

The last possible probability remaing is the Sealing of the windshield panel which has never been changed from the car's production date.
Price for the sealing is way too high considering that two sealings are needed for column A & B. Check part number 2 following the link below.
http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E85/E ... ame_cover/

Won't bother again. :-x Hardtop has been removed and sits in its cover.

The filler piece BMW's workshop Manual gives.
SOLD

derin100

Post by derin100 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:30 pm

So, just resurrecting this thread as I've just put the hardtop on my Z4M today and driven it with it on for the first time ever. I too have noticed this symptom with wind noise at the leading edge on the driver's side.

I understand the principles of the described adjustment above i.e. adjusting the back edge of the hardtop makes the front edge press down harder on the top edge of the screen. But I don't know exactly what I have to adjust and how hard is it to do?

Thanks
E85 3.0Si Silver on Black (Gone and will be missed)
E85 M Roadster Silver Grey on Black
E85 Alpina Roadster S Toledo Blue on Black

synthedup

Post by synthedup » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:35 pm

derin100 wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:30 pm So, just resurrecting this thread as I've just put the hardtop on my Z4M today and driven it with it on for the first time ever. I too have noticed this symptom with wind noise at the leading edge on the driver's side.

I understand the principles of the described adjustment above i.e. adjusting the back edge of the hardtop makes the front edge press down harder on the top edge of the screen. But I don't know exactly what I have to adjust and how hard is it to do?

Thanks
Where are you based? Easy to do but hard to explain.

Happy to show you if you’re near Sheffield? Or I can make you a video tomorrow if no one explains it well tonight.

paulc_bkk

Post by paulc_bkk » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:08 am

From what I saw of the hardtop I tried on my car, the mount points not only move up and down but also to the front or rear of the car to allow for a tighter fit...

The hardtop on my e36 also had height adjustment at the front locks - is the Z4 hardtop not adjustable there too?

I ended up not buying the hardtop I tried as the seller was being an idiot and it was a non-metallic black
10E21BB7-E73A-478C-8DE3-82724DE49DDF.jpeg
10E21BB7-E73A-478C-8DE3-82724DE49DDF.jpeg (452.33 KiB) Viewed 2364 times
A367B591-F966-477A-91BA-72826FC8414B.jpeg
A367B591-F966-477A-91BA-72826FC8414B.jpeg (428.6 KiB) Viewed 2364 times
Anyway, good luck sorting it out, as it looks smart on your car

derin100

Post by derin100 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:40 am

synthedup wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:35 pm
derin100 wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:30 pm So, just resurrecting this thread as I've just put the hardtop on my Z4M today and driven it with it on for the first time ever. I too have noticed this symptom with wind noise at the leading edge on the driver's side.

Thanks
Where are you based? Easy to do but hard to explain.

Happy to show you if you’re near Sheffield? Or I can make you a video tomorrow if no one explains it well tonight.
Thanks synthedup!
Sheffield is not too far....Lincs here.

But I've actually cured the problem I had now as well.

I gave all the rubbers a good soak of Gummipflege to re-lubricate them...then I re-seat the hardtop down making sure I pressed it down properly at the front and guess what? All wind noise completely eliminated! :)
E85 3.0Si Silver on Black (Gone and will be missed)
E85 M Roadster Silver Grey on Black
E85 Alpina Roadster S Toledo Blue on Black

NaweedMustafa

Post by NaweedMustafa » Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:05 pm

Resurrecting this thread as i will be performing this seal filler job soon. Any idea how to get the seal installed as shown above? is it just forcing the addition rubber into that spot or must i unscrew something to properly sandwich the seal into the spot?
Current: 2003 3.0is | Sterling Grey | Dream Red
Previous: Bicycle. Never owned a car before

Claretsam92

Post by Claretsam92 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:05 am

NaweedMustafa wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:05 pm Resurrecting this thread as i will be performing this seal filler job soon. Any idea how to get the seal installed as shown above? is it just forcing the addition rubber into that spot or must i unscrew something to properly sandwich the seal into the spot?
I'm also about to have a go at this... If you tried it please could you let me know how you installed the seal and whether it solved the issue?

Thanks!

NaweedMustafa

Post by NaweedMustafa » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:03 pm

Claretsam92 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:05 am I'm also about to have a go at this... If you tried it please could you let me know how you installed the seal and whether it solved the issue?

Thanks!
Did what was done above, shoved it in the gap, no difference. Ended up filling the gap between the from the inside (see below) i know it looks a bit janky but it gets the job done + you cannot see this unless you intentionally shine a bright flashlight there.
20240418_110953.jpg
20240418_110953.jpg (255.39 KiB) Viewed 118 times
I still get some wind noise but I think its from the side windows, which cannot be avoided
Current: 2003 3.0is | Sterling Grey | Dream Red
Previous: Bicycle. Never owned a car before

Claretsam92

Post by Claretsam92 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:34 pm

NaweedMustafa wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:03 pm
Claretsam92 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:05 am I'm also about to have a go at this... If you tried it please could you let me know how you installed the seal and whether it solved the issue?

Thanks!
Did what was done above, shoved it in the gap, no difference. Ended up filling the gap between the from the inside (see below) i know it looks a bit janky but it gets the job done + you cannot see this unless you intentionally shine a bright flashlight there.

20240418_110953.jpg

I still get some wind noise but I think its from the side windows, which cannot be avoided
Thanks for the update.
Is it the same headlight gasket you have pushed into that gap?