Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Best modifications for new Z4 owner

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
DJW

Best modifications for new Z4 owner

Post by DJW » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:36 pm

Hi Chaps,

Picked up my first Z4 on the weekend - '06 2.0l Sport - (Would have loved a bigger engine but doing some mileage so succumbed to economy on mpg.)

The tyres were almost bald so I've had the run flats taken off for Goodyear Eagles (after reading posts on here) and it's instantly loads better and I've only driven them 5 miles!

I wanted to ask what the best mods I should be doing are? In terms improving looks and performance.

I'm pretty keen to paint the brake calipers yellow - and ideally have the alloys sprayed black (advice on the alloys would be great).

I'd also love a bit more growl from the engine as well...

Are there some other obvious mods I should be looking at?

Cheers

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Best modificationss for new Z4 owner

Post by Marlon » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:54 pm

Welcome to the forum, but first things first: post a pic of your great motor in the 'newbies' thread viewforum.php?f=11 and we can all welcome you officially :)
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Swiftly
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Best modificationss for new Z4 owner

Post by Swiftly » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:04 pm

Hi and welcome aboard DJW :thumbsup:

Sounds like you have started your mods by ditching the run flats :)

Cheap minor cosmetic changes such as stubby aerial and a ZHP gear knob which is weighted and will help improve the gear change. Another good cheap and easy mod that is well worth doing is the CDV (Clutch Delay Valve) removal, which makes the clutch "feel normal".

BTW we love photos on this forum :poke:

:worthless:
Replacement, G29 Z4 M40i Lci in Alpine White :wub:
Gone G29 Z4 M40i in San Francisco Red
Gone F22 M240i auto coupe in Estoril Blue
Gone 2007 E85 3.0si Sport in Silver Grey,

csl1973

Re: Best modifications for new Z4 owner

Post by csl1973 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:04 pm

Tbh I would firstly get all things like a dam good service done. Then any niggles that it may have. Once that's done maybe the exhaust and an enclosed filter system,although the standard one is fine. I wouldn't spend loads to make it feel faster or sound better as you may in the future move to a bigger engine z. But good luck with the new z and hope you enjoy it.
2006 Silver-grey 3.0si coupe including miles of smiles.

owm

Post by owm » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:13 pm

^^Agreed, I would change all fluids and get brakes and suspension checked out as a baseline. Then drive the car around for a month or so to get a better feel of it before embarking on any appearance mods which can always be done any time :)
1977 Alfasud Sprint
1988 Mercedes Benz W126 300SE
1991 Mazda MX-5
1996 Rover Mini Cooper
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

DJW

Post by DJW » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:46 pm

Yes I knew I needed to post some photos - sorry - I wimped out on going into the office car park and taking some on my first day with at work! Pathetic I know.

Some good advice here - thank you all

The car had a full service about 1000 miles ago - I've got the receipt - I guess they wouldn't have checked the suspension though?

Can anyone recommend a decent garage in the Bath - Chippenham area to get the bits checked off?

BM1

Post by BM1 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:25 pm

DJW wrote:Hi Chaps,

Picked up my first Z4 on the weekend - '06 2.0l Sport - (Would have loved a bigger engine but doing some mileage so succumbed to economy on mpg.)

The tyres were almost bald so I've had the run flats taken off for Goodyear Eagles (after reading posts on here) and it's instantly loads better and I've only driven them 5 miles!

I wanted to ask what the best mods I should be doing are? In terms improving looks and performance.

I'm pretty keen to paint the brake calipers yellow - and ideally have the alloys sprayed black (advice on the alloys would be great).

I'd also love a bit more growl from the engine as well...

Are there some other obvious mods I should be looking at?

Cheers
Welcome from a fellow newbie, I'm still being acquainted with my Zed after a few weeks.

Pictures are required by law first off was the first thing I found out, and there's a great number of threads in the "how to" section are of great help with the kind and knowledgeable members on here. I checked out the hood cleaning, hood "drain" cleaning techniques, a load of nice cleaning products, a new exhaust tip ordered from from Machine Monkey (however not sure he customises yet for the 2.0L), a stubby aerial was the first mod appearance wise, possibly wheels next, new bright side bulbs - All the threads explain in detail.

Also as said above the fluid levels, alarm working ok checks, water draining from the hood check etc.
I definitely agree the run flats off are much a nicer ride, I'm still tramlining my way through the UK

I had to buy some new sunglasses as people I noticed begin staring as you drive past (this didn't happen in my vag cars
Happy motoring and welcome along :driving:
2.5i '06

Serpentine722

Post by Serpentine722 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:43 pm

Welcome - I've only had my z for a few weeks so know how you feel having a new 'toy'.
In that time I've done the following-
Changed fluids - oil/filter, diff oil, gearbox oil.
Changed run flats for eagle f1s (massive improvement).
Cleaned hood drain vents (don't forget the sunscreen vent too at the front (under the scuttle panel in the engine bay).
Changed crappy BMW headunit for aftermarket dab one.
Stubby aerial fitted.
Changed rear coil springs as one was snapped (very common problem and cheap fix).

Christ sounds like loads now I write it all down !! Just waiting for weather to improve so can enjoy it properly.

Good luck and any queries just ask, this forum is brilliant and you'll soon be addicted to reading the new posts!!

:)
Matt

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mac27040 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:47 pm

cheap mods:
stubby aerial
carbon wrap dashboard & centre console
LED interior lights
LED rear number plate lights
aero wiper blades
black kidney grill
new centre wheel caps (carbon)
clean roof
clean roof drain holes
coding

Mods:
Gaptech roof module
upgrade brakes & discs
performance air filter
lowering springs (suspension)
aero side skirts
clear third brake light
M sport steering wheel (if you dont have one)
M sport seats (if you dont have them)
Intravee (if you have sat nav)

The list could go on......
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

maxman

Post by maxman » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:46 pm

Hi,if I had just bought a z4 with people now able to move the roof motor to the boot for little money,that would be my first mod.

shortfuse 2

Post by shortfuse 2 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:01 pm

hi ad welcome

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:04 pm

Hi and welcome!

i have a 2.0 Z aswel :) if your looking for some ideas for mods/maintenance then take a look at my progress thread here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78475

you might see some things you have already noticed on yours or somethings you havnt and can now use mine as reference, and of course.... any questions feel free to ask!!

oh and we need photos now :P

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:44 pm

⬆︎Thats dangerous :wink:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:57 am

+1 on the Gaptech RCH+
Easy to fit, and you'll wonder why the hell the car didn't come like this from the factory.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:40 am

Marlon wrote:⬆︎Thats dangerous :wink:
haha... I honestly told myself when I got the car I wasn't going to spend ANY money on it, apart from service etc, but as soon as I came on this forum and saw the odd link to bits like a stubby etc and then for sale section selling ZHP gear knob etc I was hooked :fuelfire: :rofl: then it got out of control haha