Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Project 2006 Z4 - restoration (Enjoy!)

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Project 2006 Z4 - restoration (Enjoy!)

Post by paulgs1000 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:50 pm

Wheel nuts red?

Just a thought . . . .
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:58 pm

deleted
Last edited by andyfanshawe on Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:05 pm

Hi Andy and welcome aboard :) subscribed to this thread as loving your work so far! i wish i had the tools/skills to do stuff like yourself!

I too have the 2.0 and Im loving it, Ive nearly finished doing all the bits and bobs to it that i have planned so im interested to see what stuff you do as most build threads on here are for the bigger 6 cylinder engines so some of the stuff i cant do to mine so im extra excited to see whats clearly going to be a very details and thorough build/restoration to the 2.0 version :D

great work and looking forward to following (and remember.... plenty of photos :P )

Vanne

Post by Vanne » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:04 am

Wow Andy, good on you mate. :D
Loving reading the thread and looking forwards with what you will tackle next.
I love that you have the M seats in your 2.0 and( that they are manual (very hard to come by where i live) the seats that is)

Very cool little project, and good on ya for taking it on.

Please don't do red wheel nuts :tumbleweed:
Last edited by Vanne on Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3
Powered by Severn Tuning

ESP

Post by ESP » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:05 am

Welcome to the forum Andy, nice write up! :-)

Im also a 2.0i sport owner.
07 Sapphire Black Roadster.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:20 am

Nice work. Thought it was a bit strange painting the inside of the disks as you dont see them but hey ho.
You definately like red paint, everything gets painted red, reminds me of when I was young and my dad would hand make us toys in his work and they were always painted black, blue or orange as that was the paint that was lying around. :thumbsup:
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:54 pm

Nictrix wrote:Thought it was a bit strange painting the inside of the disks as you dont see them but hey ho.
You definately like red paint, everything gets painted red, reminds me of when I was young and my dad would hand make us toys in his work and they were always painted black, blue or orange as that was the paint that was lying around
Welcome to the world of the custom car! Remember, just because you cant see it, it doesnt mean it isn't there!! hahahahaha. Sounds like something from doctor who!! I know what you mean though. Its going to go badly rusty under there, but now it wont! Well not as bad anyway.

Andy.

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:01 pm

JINGLE wrote:Hi Andy and welcome aboard :) subscribed to this thread as loving your work so far! i wish i had the tools/skills to do stuff like yourself!

I too have the 2.0 and Im loving it, Ive nearly finished doing all the bits and bobs to it that i have planned so im interested to see what stuff you do as most build threads on here are for the bigger 6 cylinder engines so some of the stuff i cant do to mine so im extra excited to see whats clearly going to be a very details and thorough build/restoration to the 2.0 version :D

great work and looking forward to following (and remember.... plenty of photos :P )
Thanks JINGLE.
Got to support the least loved!
Oh, yes, plenty of photos!!!
What bits have you done to yours?

Andy.

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:02 pm

Vanne wrote:Wow Andy, good on you mate. :D
Loving reading the thread and looking forwards with what you will tackle next.
I love that you have the M seats in your 2.0 and( that they are manual (very hard to come by where i live) the seats that is)

Very cool little project, and good on ya for taking it on.

Please don't do red wheel nuts :tumbleweed:
Thanks Vanne.
I didnt know I had the M seats!!
And dont worry, no red wheel nuts!

Andy.

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:12 pm

Look at this mess..

Here it is cleaned up a bit, and a die grinder with a carbide burr to clean off the casting marks

Masked up and sprayed with etch primer

And you all know what colour comes next!!

Then its on to the back brakes. Should be fun!

Andy.
Last edited by andyfanshawe on Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:26 pm

andyfanshawe wrote:
JINGLE wrote:Hi Andy and welcome aboard :) subscribed to this thread as loving your work so far! i wish i had the tools/skills to do stuff like yourself!

Thanks JINGLE.

Andy.

done quite a lot tbh, take a look at my build thread if you want some ideas and photos here ---> viewtopic.php?t=78475

ive currently got a fair few bits ready to go on the car when i get a chance, including:
stud conversion kit
front shocks
new front top mounts and dust boots
H&R lowering springs
1st aid boxes
RPi air scoop
air scoop bracket
new front 330 brake conversion to allow 325mm discs

im really trying my hardest to get all the above bits fitted and added to my build thread but i just dont have the time or a work shop, its no fun trying to do it all on the wet driveway in the dark after work :(

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:40 pm

JINGLE wrote:
andyfanshawe wrote:

Thanks JINGLE.

Andy.

done quite a lot tbh, take a look at my build thread if you want some ideas and photos here ---> viewtopic.php?t=78475

ive currently got a fair few bits ready to go on the car when i get a chance, including:
stud conversion kit
front shocks
H&R lowering springs
1st aid boxes
RPi air scoop
air scoop bracket

im really trying my hardest to get all the above bits fitted and added to my build thread but i just dont have the time or a work shop, its no fun trying to do it all on the wet driveway in the dark after work :(
Ill have a look. Your z4 looks awesome.
If ever you are over chesterfield way, you are welcome to use my lift and workshop! Bring your bits over and we'll do them all in a day!! Or as much as we can :-) Got a big shop, toilet, hot water, KETTLE, 2 post lift, log burner.....and a desire to fix cars!! proper ones though!
Andy.

nightyard

Post by nightyard » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:32 pm

andyfanshawe wrote:
JINGLE wrote:
andyfanshawe wrote:
Thanks JINGLE.

Andy.

stud conversion kit
front shocks
H&R lowering springs
1st aid boxes
RPi air scoop
air scoop bracket

If ever you are over chesterfield way, you are welcome to use my lift and workshop! Bring your bits over and we'll do them all in a day!! Or as much as we can :-) Got a big shop, toilet, hot water, KETTLE, 2 post lift, log burner.....and a desire to fix cars!! proper ones though!
Andy.

Do you want to do that with my M3 :poke:

Brake and clutch pipes + fluids , engine mounts, gear box mounts, rear diff bushes and short shift kit (involves dropping the exhaust to access) :rofl:

Can't say I'm very experienced at doing any of those jobs but DIY guides have gotten me pretty far in the past :evil:
Current : 640D M Sport & F30 320D
Previous: e39 3.0i, e86 3.0i, e85 3.0i, e46 m3, mk1 Audi TT, e92 2.0D

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:45 pm

andyfanshawe wrote:
JINGLE wrote:
andyfanshawe wrote:
Thanks JINGLE.

Andy.

stud conversion kit
front shocks
H&R lowering springs
1st aid boxes
RPi air scoop
air scoop bracket

Andy.

that is a great offer and I would love to take you up on it and refund you some beer tokens for your time.... however the 6 hour+ round trip is a bit far :( (altho I am very tempted to take you up on it and use it as an excuse for a drive haha)

hopefully we can see each others Zs at a meet sometime this summer :D

RJS-Z4

Post by RJS-Z4 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:50 pm

Great thread so far and a great new member. Must admit, I'm not sure on the multitude of red, but other than that, loving the work so far.
Titanium Silver E85 Mods Done - 224's, Stubby, Amarone //M seats, ZHP, Retrofitted Wind Deflector, Aux In