Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Project 2006 Z4 - restoration (Enjoy!)

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:31 pm

My poor Z4 has been sat doing nothing for ages and is going taxless in a few days, so one more run, hopefully, will have to do.
Last few jobs before it goes up for sale:
Remembered i had not changed the VANOS solenoid seals, so ordered them.
Slight dent in the drivers wing (and i mean slight!) and a steering wheel refurb and a full machine buff and polish and its got to go up for sale I'm afraid.
Time to move on,....other cars to build.
Andy.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:39 pm

Won’t you miss it after all the work you’ve put in Andy?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:48 pm

Smartbear wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:39 pm Won’t you miss it after all the work you’ve put in Andy?
Rob
Hi Rob.
I will miss it, yes. But i've enjoyed building it, learnt loads and loads, met soooo many z4 owners at my shop, got 2 other big projects on and can't really do much more to it. It's evolved as far as I can go without modifying it, and I ain't doing that.

Might wait till the spring, but got 3 restoration projects coming in over the winter and need the space.

It will be sadly missed, but someone else needs to drive it and enjoy it.

Andy.

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:58 pm

that should be a well sorted Z4 for someone to enjoy when you part company with it. I have really enjoyed your project build thread, and will be sorry to see you move on, but as you said, other cars, other projects - just keep moving forward :thumbsup:
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:17 pm

enzed4 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:58 pm that should be a well sorted Z4 for someone to enjoy when you part company with it. I have really enjoyed your project build thread, and will be sorry to see you move on, but as you said, other cars, other projects - just keep moving forward :thumbsup:
Thanks enzed4.
I'm breaking new ground with one of my big projects and need to get it finished. 5.8 V8, full airride, channeled, chopped, no handles, locks, badges or lights visible. Sits on the floor on 22" wheels......21 feet long and 7 feet wide! Black glass and pearl green. My poor Z4 fades into the background compared to this one!!! Could fit it in the boot!

Andy.

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:19 pm

andyfanshawe wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:26 pm
crabbes wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:06 pm Hi Andy

Regarding your post on a friend that had fault codes reading bank 2 lean, I have this appear on my dash engine light, roughly after the 3rd or 4th long run, when I use my fault cable it allows me to clear the codes.

I am now using the Shell V power fuel but codes do come back, can you advise how to rectify this please.

Z4 roadster 2004 model

Thanks Steve :thumbsup:
Hi Steve.
Sorry, only just seen this! Ooops!
Can you give me the actual fault codes?
Bank 1 and 2 lean is normally an indication of an air leak assuming fuel trims are okay above idle. Otherwise fuel delivery issue (MAP, fuel pressure etc).
One bank lean (cyls 4, 5 and 6 for you) means more diagnosis needed. If the pre cat sensor on bank 2 and the post cat sensor on bank 2 both read lean then one sensor is confirming what the other one says and more diagnosis is needed.
If the pre cat one indicates lean and the post cat is not, you have a faulty pre cat o2 sensor.

Hope this is of some help and its not too late.
Andy.
Forgot to say,....could still be an air leak though. i would smoke that intake straightaway.

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:26 pm

My BIG project.....just a quick artistic rendition of what it will look like very soon..

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:40 pm

Looks just like a Chip Foose drawing
Good luck with your project :thumbsup:
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:54 pm

Next job on my z4 done today...vanos solenoid seals.

And the brackets that hold them in - rusty little blighters!

Media blasted them and swapped over 2 new seals on each.

Crappy photos here, but

Not felt a difference in the way it drives though, so old ones must have been pretty good! Looked ok when I changed them over.

Andy.

idej_z4

Post by idej_z4 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:14 am

Sorry to hear you're selling the Z Andy, but after spending some time with you and seeing what you've got planned I totally understand.

Hopefully you'll drop by here and show us what you've done when the big projects are finished.

All the best, and keep in touch! :thumbsup: :driving: :D

Fireman81

Post by Fireman81 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:17 pm

Hi Andy,

This is my first post. I am not the Z4 owner yet.
I read all 26 pages of your project and I am impressed.
I admire your work, there are very few people like you. You are very detailed :thumbsup:

Although I am from Croatia (Europe - LHD) I would like to buy your car. It will be second car in my family and I would continue to maintain this beauty of Z4. Despite the big mileage, I think that in good hands will be great for many years.

Please tell me the price you are asking, and what is emmision of CO2... 176 or 181 grams ?
It is important for the tax I have to pay to customs in my country.

Thanks,
Mladen

Dlbz4

Post by Dlbz4 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:27 am

Hello
Andy I would also like to know the price IV been looking for a nice little z4 for a few years promising one day I would get one and can see how much work you have put in to it I'm in the west Midlands and would love to have a look at it thanks David

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:18 pm

Sory guys, not logged on for ages. Business has been busy and my poor zed has been lurking under a cover at the back of my workshop for ages. Poor thing.
It is started up daily and moved around (sometimes around the industrial estate a few times to get it warmed up). A/C cycled up also.
Needs a good polish now which I will do next few days.
The restrored wheels are looking amazing inside and out still. Credit to Brian at just alloys. And, no, I'm not being paid commission.
A customer came in last week when the zed was on my lift and I was polishing the wheels inside and out! Easy to do when its 7 feet in the air! He was amaxed. Probably can see why, but normal to me with show cars.

My 91 camaro project is progressing well and I need loads and loads of time on it. Gotta move my z4 on soon so someone can actually use it.
Here's the back axle waiting to go into the car

i promised myself that i wouldn't turn this into a show car, but i seem to be failing!! Got to try to resist more...heres a shot of the underside where the chassis rail meets the rear valance.
Not bad for a 27 year old car.
And how is this for sad........I have cut out the rear inner arch sections where it spot welds to the outer quarter panel. Notorious rustspots on older cars and I hate to see it. So i removed it from the inside without marking the outer skin! A tough task but look at how beautiful the wheel arch lip is in.

Andy.

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:39 pm

And.....................interesting news lately..........................Been having a few aches and pains recently in my left hip and my back has always been stiff, so nipped off to the docs to get a checkout. I was sent for an x ray and it took me 6 months to go and get the results! yeah, yeah, i know.

Anyway, apparently i have osteo arthritis in my left hip and lower spine. Xrays showing damage. Wish i hadn't have gone now :(
So it looks as if my very very sporty past and active lifestyle for the last 57 years has worn my joints out. Suppose its better than smoking and drinking myself to death!! Never had a cig and last alcoholic drink I had was when I was 17 back in 1978 (didn't like it).
Excesses eh?
So, I am under no illusion that my days working on cars are numbered. And I'm determined that my 2 american car projects are not going to end up as "unfinished projects" on ebay, so my priority is to get these finished off before i can go no further. i don't know where the finish line is or how quickly I will get there so its all hands to the deck to get my car affairs in order. So the z4 needs to go to someone who will look after it and finish it off (the few tiny jobs it needs anyway). The car needs a foster parent so to speak! Someone to take over from me. Already had a potential carer pop in to see it, but wasn't suitable. Lol!!

Andy.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:48 pm

Sorry to here
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted