Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Project 2006 Z4 - restoration (Enjoy!)

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:59 am

That's terrible news Andy. I hope there are some good medication options available that will allow you to continue doing what you love for as long as possible.
Best of luck mate, you have been an inspiration to many of us with your technical know-how, and amazing 'can-do' attitude.
Kia Kaha.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

wingnut

Post by wingnut » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:12 am

Andy
So sorry to hear about your medical condition. Your link was titled Restoration (Enjoy !), well I certainly have along with many others and would thank you for your valuable contributions.
I do hope that your condition is not too restrictive and that you can still enjoy what is obviously your passion.

Good luck and all the best, Mick

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Grumpyowl » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:58 pm

Andy.[/quote]
andyfanshawe wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:39 pmAnd.....................interesting news lately..........................Been having a few aches and pains recently in my left hip and my back has always been stiff, so nipped off to the docs to get a checkout. I was sent for an x ray and it took me 6 months to go and get the results! yeah, yeah, i know.

Anyway, apparently i have osteo arthritis in my left hip and lower spine. Xrays showing damage. Wish i hadn't have gone now :(
So it looks as if my very very sporty past and active lifestyle for the last 57 years has worn my joints out. Suppose its better than smoking and drinking myself to death!! Never had a cig and last alcoholic drink I had was when I was 17 back in 1978 (didn't like it).
Excesses eh?
So, I am under no illusion that my days working on cars are numbered. And I'm determined that my 2 american car projects are not going to end up as "unfinished projects" on ebay, so my priority is to get these finished off before i can go no further. i don't know where the finish line is or how quickly I will get there so its all hands to the deck to get my car affairs in order. So the z4 needs to go to someone who will look after it and finish it off (the few tiny jobs it needs anyway). The car needs a foster parent so to speak! Someone to take over from me. Already had a potential carer pop in to see it, but wasn't suitable. Lol!!

Andy.

Sorry to hear of your problems Andy, you won't remember this but ironically when I originally came to see you its was because I had a bad back :roll:
Good luck for the future and I really hope you get those projects completed before you hang up your spanners.
Although you will be Zedless soon please keep coming on and updating the forum and maybe when I'm passing if you don't mind I can pop into your workshop to view the results first hand.

Jim.

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:03 am

And its finally out of my workshop. Dug oiut of the far corner, polished up and off for MOT test
Passed with no advisories.
Going to tax it tomorrow and actually enjoy the thing while I get customers cars done and my other projects moving.

Oh, an update on this osteo arthritis thing I was diagnosed with........went to see the physio 4 weeks after the news and she looked at the x ray and said it was hip and back wear consistent with a 57 year old!! She didnt agree with the diagnosis at all! Bloody NHS. Went ahead with the physio anyway and everything seems normal at the moment. So its back to the car projects after all.

Andy.

PS Hope all the forum members enjoy their summer motoring in their Zeds :D :driving:

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:05 am

Oh, thanks to enzed4 and wingnut for their symaphies. Much appreciated.

Andy.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:45 am

Hope your able to keep going long term , great news
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:32 pm

Hey Andy, I've just been through this entire thread and was simply amazed at your drive at turning this car around.

I've just bought a 56 plate coupe myself and want to bring it back to glory as well. Recently I pulled out the foglights and tried to sort out the condensation but to no avail. I intended to pull them apart at some stage and clean them but the reflective coating, like yours, is shot.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, what did you end up doing to yours? I'm not sure if I missed anything but you hadn't decided their fate.
2006.5 E86 Z4C si SE Phoenix Yellow

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:27 pm

Z4C_er wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:32 pm Hey Andy, I've just been through this entire thread and was simply amazed at your drive at turning this car around.

I've just bought a 56 plate coupe myself and want to bring it back to glory as well. Recently I pulled out the foglights and tried to sort out the condensation but to no avail. I intended to pull them apart at some stage and clean them but the reflective coating, like yours, is shot.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, what did you end up doing to yours? I'm not sure if I missed anything but you hadn't decided their fate.
/
Thank you for the compliment! Fog lights....I eventually, after aqua blasting, etch primed them and srayed them in the brightest silver I could find, then lacquered and sealed them back up. Then got on with other projects. Will probably never use them, so quickest was best.

BUT......I have now started electroplating at home, so they will most likely be coming apart again and be electroplated!! Watch this space.

Andy.

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:25 am

andyfanshawe wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:03 am Oh, an update on this osteo arthritis thing I was diagnosed with........went to see the physio 4 weeks after the news and she looked at the x ray and said it was hip and back wear consistent with a 57 year old!! She didnt agree with the diagnosis at all! Bloody NHS. Went ahead with the physio anyway and everything seems normal at the moment. So its back to the car projects after all.

Andy.

PS Hope all the forum members enjoy their summer motoring in their Zeds :D :driving:
That's bloody brilliant news mate :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Get stuck in and get the yank tank finished :lol:
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:01 am

Thanks Andy. I foresee maybe a business restoring foglights??
Next question, can you share the name of some of the products you use for rust treatment/neutralisers and an 'aluminium spray' you used on the underbody once? Also any coating/treatment products you found useful during your restoration projects?
2006.5 E86 Z4C si SE Phoenix Yellow

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Sun May 20, 2018 4:15 pm

Z4C_er wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:01 am Thanks Andy. I foresee maybe a business restoring foglights??
Next question, can you share the name of some of the products you use for rust treatment/neutralisers and an 'aluminium spray' you used on the underbody once? Also any coating/treatment products you found useful during your restoration projects?
Will do. I'll put together a list shortly.
Andy.

Well the car is now sold to a forum member. I don't think he ever posted but hopefully he will chip in with details??

I changed the lollipop bushes yesterday since they were mentioned in an MOT a few years ago and nothing has been done about them since.
They were a bit soft, but couldn't feel any difference in the ride. Always felt good.

And, typical, the drivers mirror didn't work. Not surprising since the last time I moved it was in january 2016!! Bit of jiggery pokery tapping the mirror and continual prodding of the buttons got it to work. Usual problems of cars that have sat about doing nothing.

The new owner, Rick, said he will report back on the car. Headed off to its new home in Leicester.
Bought for £4500 ish I think, sold for £3500 2 years and 3 months later and a LOT of work and money invested. I'll never be a millionaire but the car has gone to a new caring home. Be interesting how it goes on.
Good luck with the car Rick.

I'll pop onto the forums every so often so if anyone wants any advice, give me a shout.
Thank you to everyone who followed the build. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Beautiful cars to drive, if not like teenagers at times!! Twitchy little buggers, lol!

Good luck to everybody with their zeds. I'm gonna say au revoir to BMW's to own, but not to working on the blighters every soddin' day it seems like.

Andy.

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:05 pm

Shame to see you leaving the Z4 family as i enjoyed reading your posts, new owner will be very happy I'm sure! thanks for a great read Andy :)

the stripler

Post by the stripler » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:42 am

All the best Andy.
great thread, learned a lot from you mate.

gary
Bmw Z4 2.5 Si, Hellrot Red, Style 224s, Zorst tips, Cupholders,
SEAT Exeo ST170, superchipped to 215hp.
Audi A3 S-Line.
Honda SP2 S4.
1984 Mongoose Supergoose.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb4 ... 0cpufq.jpg

IRD

Post by IRD » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:51 pm

I have made two journies from Lincoln across to Chesterfield for Andy to sort out issues on my car. There are not many with his knowledge and skills and all work completed with good humour and at a very reasonable price. Great bloke.