Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help please - wiring heated seats

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Fishy Dave

Post by Fishy Dave » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:52 pm

Hello,

Myself and a fellow forum user are both in the same situation and could do with your help please.

- We have post 2006 Z4 Roadsters
- We are wanting to add heated seats to our cars which didn't come with them from the factory
- Being facelift cars the required additional heated seat looms are not present
- We have the switch panel with heated seat buttons

BMW used to offer a retrofit kit: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=52_3032
This has been discontinued for some time now and I have so far not been able to find a copy of the installation instructions EBA 0301546. Judging by the cost of the kit (it was about £20) I am guessing that it consisted of wires and connectors only. I thought about visiting a breakers but don't know what I would need to remove from the donor car!

Trying to think laterally I noticed that the regular seat electrics for the BMW X3 and E85 Z4 have the same basic seat wiring loom 61117111903, therefore i wondered if an X3 retrofit kit could also be used 61110307620? I contacted a helpful guy from Dick Lovett Swindon who is looking to see if he can get hold of this part, but BMW Germany show one in stock only with a note that this part failed in testing!

So, this leaves myself and fellow forum user Marlon a bit stuck. Any electronics whizz able to understand the wiring diagrams (!) and make up custom looms for us in return for a bit of cash?! If not, does anyone still have a copy of the retrofit instructions they could share or maybe photos that might help?

Many thanks, Dave
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car
Now sold: Z4M Roadster, the best all round car I have owned.

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Help please - wiring heated seats

Post by MrPT » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:14 pm

I've got the retrofit instructions: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/153 ... _seats.pdf
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

RJS-Z4

Post by RJS-Z4 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:49 pm

I'd say that looks fairly do-able. It appears to just be cabling. You could make up a real rough version (no tucking under carpets etc) and check if it'll work on just one seat. Then actually knock a loom up or rip one out of a breakers.

The only thing that concerns me is the reference to coding it in? Should that be necessary?
Titanium Silver E85 Mods Done - 224's, Stubby, Amarone //M seats, ZHP, Retrofitted Wind Deflector, Aux In

Fishy Dave

Post by Fishy Dave » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:55 pm

Hi MrPT, thanks so much, that's a huge help, better than BMW UK so far in fact 8)

I've found the X3 heated seat loom retrofit kit for sale in the states, with images, wondering if it is the same or at least similar? https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSe ... /ES159521/
Last edited by Fishy Dave on Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car

Fishy Dave

Post by Fishy Dave » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:09 pm

I think I've answered that, it is different according to the legend within the translated Monaco instructions I found! :? Not sure if it would be close enough to adapt through?

http://www.mbmw.it/istruzioni/pdf/307621.pdf

Should I track down a Z being broken or is their an electronics guru who can make something up?
Last edited by Fishy Dave on Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:13 pm

Fishy Dave wrote:Hi MrPT, thanks so much, that's a huge help, better than BMW so far in fact 8)
No worries. Wish I could help more - I've done a few retrofits and made up my own loom for electric seats - but just a bit stuck for time at the moment.

It is very time consuming, but I would persevere with the wiring diagrams, if you can (assuming you can't find the OEM kit). They are more simple than they look! I don't think I'd attempt this without knowing exactly what was being plugged in, where. One accidental short and you could be stuffed, particularly with the seats because they use the full 12V feed for power and heating.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Fishy Dave

Post by Fishy Dave » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:19 pm

Thanks again, I'm determined to have heated seats eventually :)

Found the E46 heated loom diagram which looks pretty similar? http://www.angelfire.com/myband2/ds/hea ... nglish.pdf
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car

Fishy Dave

Post by Fishy Dave » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:14 pm

A box from ECS tuning turned up today with the X3 retrofit loom included. I'm not going to have the time to take a look at it for a couple of weeks sadly, but assuming it can be made to fit I have the correct switch panel and wiring so just need the heat pads.
Last edited by Fishy Dave on Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:20 pm

Fishy Dave wrote:A box from ECS tuning turned up today with the X3 retrofit loom included. I'm not going to have the time to take a look at it for a couple of weeks sadly, but assuming it can be made to fit I have the correct switch panel and wiring so just need the heat pads. How does the car 'know' it is connected to the heat pads? Does it read a certain resistance or current flow?
I will be watching this thread intently - fingers crossed you are able to sort it :thumbsup:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Fishy Dave

Post by Fishy Dave » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:57 pm

Result! The X3 retrofit loom is broadly the same. Having spent the last hour or so checking between German and Monaco(!) X3 retrofit instructions and English Z4 instructions (thanks again MrPT) I labelled up all 14 connections and every one checks out, even the wire colours are identical.
The main differences are that the X3 loom is in two halves for driver and passenger plus I have a spare 'Kbus' wire which doesn't appear to be needed or used in the Z4. The next challenge will be to see if the cable lengths are acceptable, but as the X3 is not a tiny car I'm hoping it will be fine.
Feeling very positive that this could be a good way of retrofitting heated seats to our cars. 8)

Last edited by Fishy Dave on Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:11 pm

This is looking very promising Dave, I'm getting excited - keep up the good work :thumbsup:
911 997 Carrera S

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:14 pm

Good work
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:26 pm

MrPT wrote:I've got the retrofit instructions: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/153 ... _seats.pdf
Hi MrPT,
Could you check the link to your retrofit instructions please - I'm getting an error.
I need to print it off as we are hopefully getting nearer to a solution.
Many thanks :thumbsup:
911 997 Carrera S

Fishy Dave

Post by Fishy Dave » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:59 pm

Hi Colin, I downloaded them from MrPT so have emailed you a copy. :)
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:00 pm

Fishy Dave wrote:Hi Colin, I downloaded them from MrPT so have emailed you a copy. :)
Cheers mate :thumbsup:
911 997 Carrera S