Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Coding Steering

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Steve84N

Coding Steering

Post by Steve84N » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:20 pm

Has anybody tried to program the Sport button to do something different?

Here's what the file looks like when you download it and I'm wondering if you could adjust the steering weight for when it's on/off using the highlighted bits.

FAHRZEUGVARIANTE
variante2
MOTORDREHZAHL
300u/min
SPEICHER_DATA
eeprom
FAKTOR_SERVO1
100_prozent
FAKTOR_SERVO2
100_prozent
FAKTOR_RUECKLAUF1
100_prozent
FAKTOR_RUECKLAUF2
100_prozent
RUECKLAUF_VERSTAERKUNG1
0_005nms/grad
RUECKLAUF_VERSTAERKUNG2
0_004nms/grad

KORREKTUR_LENKWINKEL
aktiv
SPORTSCHALTER
aktiv

Possible or am I likely to kill the module...?
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Steve84N

Re: Coding Steering

Post by Steve84N » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:16 pm

I tried changing the first value to 4 and the second to 5 but neither worked, nor did 3 so it seems there aren't any other values to choose from in the program as it simply says there's an error in the coding.

It's a shame as I'm sure that's how you adjust the steering weight and then you could have heavier steering without the twitchy throttle in town.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:30 pm

Oh that's interesting. The steering in my 3.0si is way heavier than my previous 2.5i and I was wondering, since the steering systems are identical on both cats whether there was a setting g for tweaking it. What module did you code that on?
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:23 pm

EPS module.

Unfortunately although you can find translations for most things you can't find a table of possible values for options with a number rather than just aktiv or nicht_aktiv. This means it's a trial and error game choosing a replacement number. I could try playing with more values but given that it didn't accept 4 in place of 5 or 5 in place of 4 other values are unlikely to work. Certainly gave me a bit of head scratching when I uploaded a new GM5 program with multiple changes but it didn't like a few of my values like interior lights from 20s to 30s.

I did manage to get my boot to unlock with the key before the car is unlocked amongst other things, which was annoying me before as the boot remote button is basically useless otherwise.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:28 pm

Indeed that is the problem. But I just had an idea!

As I mentioned, the steering feel between the 2.5i and 3.0si cars is massively different. I still have the 2.5i (although have had a lot of interest in it this week so will likely have it sold very soon) so what I will do is read the values from its EPS module and off the 3.0si EPS module. It seems there's a good chance they will be different so that will give us an idea as to the kind of range of possible values.

I'll do it tonight and report back ;)
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:46 pm

I'll be interested to see what you find.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:41 am

I just did some digging and after reading this it became apparent that things may need to be done in binary.

I loaded up the last dump I did of the EPS module of the 3.0si and it has the same settings as you report. What is more interesting is that NCSDummy reports this in depth information:

Function: RUECKLAUF_VERSTAERKUNG1
Address: 00300008
Length: 01
Mask: FF (00 .. FF)
Parameter: 0_005nms/grad
Data: 52

Function: RUECKLAUF_VERSTAERKUNG2
Address: 00300009
Length: 01
Mask: FF (00 .. FF)
Parameter: 0_004nms/grad
Data: 41

Note that those values are in hex, so 0x52 = 82 and 0x41 = 65. So to change the value to 0_006nms/grad you would set it to 0x62 (98 decimal). When you changed the values how did you do it? Did you simply edit the translated file (i.e. to say 0_004nms/grad) or did you do the following:
Functions often accept more data values than defined by the parameters. Take for example function "WL_DAUER" in module LM2_E6X.C35 which controls the welcome lights duration in seconds. Even though the function spans a whole byte with mask FF (0 to 255) only one parameter is defined: "wert_01" with data 14 (20 seconds).

There are several approaches on getting other data values coded into the module, like nettodata coding or disassembly (see later), but starting from NCS Dummy version 0.6.0.0 it is possible to add new parameters from within the graphical trace editor and update the NCS Expert DATEN files. To do so, right-click on a function or function parameter and choose "Add Parameter" from the popup menu. A new parameter is added to the function and you can enter a custom data value and (optional) keyword. By default NCS Dummy gives new parameters keyword "new_parameter" but you can enter anything you like - the keyword does not even have to exist in the keyword file. You can add as many parameters as you like and parameters may share the same data value, but all parameters must have unique names. Once satisfied with the new parameter(s), update the actual NCS Expert DATEN files by choosing "Update Module..." from the "Module Functions" button dropdown menu. If something is wrong with the entered data, for example an empty or duplicate keyword or data value outside the mask, NCS Dummy will highlight the faulty parameter and field(s) in red and prevent you from updating the module until the fault is corrected.
I've actually just learned quite a lot more about coding by doing this research, so I'm really excited to dump both cars and compare tonight!

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:41 am

OK, good news and bad news.

Good news is that the 3.0si does have one coding difference in the EPS unit. Bad news is that the RUECKLAUF_VERSTAERKUNG parameters are identical.

There is a function called VEHICLE_VARIANT. The 2.5i is variant 1 (0x00) and the 3.0si is variant 2 (0x01). The clue here is in the options, which for variant 2 is E86 or April06. My guess is that due to criticism of the EPS not providing enough feedback BMW decided to modify things so that the steering wasn't as light for 2006+ Z4 models.

So if you want to tweak any of the EPS settings you will have to add values as I described in my previous post. The mask of 00 to FF means that a wide range of values are valid - you just have to add the definitions. Obviously you should be very careful test driving after fiddling with these though!

Keep us posted on what you find ;)

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:49 am

Good work buddy.

I'm not sure when (if ever) I'll attempt playing with it at that level. I've just been updating the text .man files. Might get brave at some point but got a lot of other stuff on for a while.

Do you think you'll give it a go at all?
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:17 am

Fair enough. Definitely download NCSDummy and have a play that way. It's a great program and would make adding parameters pretty easy. FYI, this is what the expanded range would look like:

0_001nms/grad = 10 (hex)
0_002nms/grad = 20 (hex)
0_003nms/grad = 30 (hex)
0_004nms/grad = 41 (hex)
0_005nms/grad = 52 (hex)
0_006nms/grad = 62 (hex)
0_007nms/grad = 73 (hex)
0_008nms/grad = 83 (hex)
0_009nms/grad = 94 (hex)
0_010nms/grad = A4 (hex)

The most you could go up to would be about 0_015nms/grad at 0xFF.

I was just looking at the other functions available though. The FAKTOR_SERVO and FAKTOR_RUECKLAUF pairs could also theoretically be tweaked. They too have a mask of 00 to FF and the 100% value is 0x80, so that would have a range of 0% (0x00) to 200% (0xFF). It's a lot of screwing around trial and error though.
Steve84N wrote:Do you think you'll give it a go at all?
Interestingly enough I decided to try switching the VEHICLE_VARIANT function to Variant 1. The steering is noticeably lighter and this confirms my suspicion regarding the change due to criticism of the EPS. I never complained about the light steering on the 2.5i, but on the 3.0si with its extra power it doesn't seem quite right so I'll most likely switch it back soon enough.

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:49 pm

Thanks for the info, I think I'd like to set the steering to 3nms/grad for both sport on/off as it's still too light in sport. Our e90 330 Touring still has the hydraulic setup and it's heavier than the Z4. I find it gets deflected by bumps in the road too much as there's not enough resistance.

I might find the time at Christmas. :thumbsup:
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Zikim

Post by Zikim » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:09 am

Has there been any developments from anyone on this thread?

I am about to learn how to use NCS Dummy & Expert so would like to change my light steering as well.

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:45 am

I haven't played any further, as I'm quite happy with the lighter steering I've set it to. Get familiar with NCSExpert and NCSDummy and give tweaking as I described above a go ;)

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:51 am

Zikim wrote:Has there been any developments from anyone on this thread?

I am about to learn how to use NCS Dummy & Expert so would like to change my light steering as well.

how are you going to learn? will you just have a go or are there tuturials

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:18 am

Taz wrote:how are you going to learn? will you just have a go or are there tuturials
There are some good tutorials around, which you really need in order to learn what to do.

NCS Expert (for reading and writing coding to the car):
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt ... NCS-Expert

NCS Dummy (for manipulating codes):
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt ... NCS-Expert