Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Heel and toe...

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Kingash

Re: Heel and toe...

Post by Kingash » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:46 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote:
ga41 wrote:Like Marvin-HHGTTG said I find that I prefer that same method of heel-toeing on my Z4M even though I'm only a size 9-9.5 UK. (The method is the one on the left in the picture below)

I use the technique on the left in both my ///M and my S2000, but my feet are too big to allow this in my Westfield where I use the technique on the right. I've posted pictures of my throttle pedal modification that solves the poorly spaced pedals in the ///M. I can try to find them again if wanted.
My S2000 pedals are perfectly positioned and the throw of the shifter is really short, which makes for the perfect gear change. BMW could learn a thing or two!
I did try this when i popped out of work an hour or so ago, struggled to bring my toe up enough without being uncomfortable, don't help that I have a metal rod in my shin bone from a bike accident, i don't have as much movement in bringing my toe up as what i should. If you could post your mod it would be appreciated

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:58 pm

This is a pedal extension made from the end of a steel rule and a rubber foot. It's trapped under the pedal cover. It can be pivoted up and down to change its height on the pedal to match the prominent border of a shoe and in and out to make it protrude more or less depending on shoe width. When someone else drives my car, I tuck it out of the way so they don't inadvertently stamp on the throttle whilst braking.

Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

Kingash

Post by Kingash » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:30 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote:This is a pedal extension made from the end of a steel rule and a rubber foot. It's trapped under the pedal cover. It can be pivoted up and down to change its height on the pedal to match the prominent border of a shoe and in and out to make it protrude more or less depending on shoe width. When someone else drives my car, I tuck it out of the way so they don't inadvertently stamp on the throttle whilst braking.

That's a good idea, so might sound stupid is the heel supposed to be under the brake so you pivot to throttle or under the throttle so you pivot to brake?

The first way i tried i couldn't be progressive on the brakes as i was trying to hard to roll/pivot onto the throttle.

Second way I found i couldn't lift my toe high enough to do both at the same time, i ended up pressing the brake to hard and it over revved

What way should i persist with? I definitely think I need some new pedal covers

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:09 pm

Is your Zed an ///M? The brakes on mine are very heavily assisted by the servo, so heel and toe can be difficult at low speeds. The tendency is to over brake whilst trying to blip the throttle, especially due to the throttle pedal being lower than the brake. Also, the brake and throttle pedals are fairly widely spaced, so it's easy to entirely miss the throttle pedal if you're wearing dress shoes or if you have narrow feet. The pedal covers raise the throttle pedal without significantly raising the brake pedal (an idea c/o Exdos), so help with the former problem, whilst my pedal extension helps with the latter.
I'd suggest sitting stationary with the car in neutral and the engine running, then practising the movement by blipping the throttle whilst pressing the brake pedal. Once you've got the hang of that, switch off the engine and practice coordinating that with downshifting and using the clutch pedal. When you can do it whilst stationary, find an empty road and try it whilst braking fairly firmly from reasonably high speed - that way you won't be braking harder than you need.
On the track I combine heel and toe with double declutching if I'm dropping down a gear at high rpm, as entering a gear at 8,000 rpm demands a great deal from the synchromesh. This is allows engine braking to contribute to deceleration without any risk of the synchro bulking the gear change or locking the rears through under rev matching (although in my Westfield under rev matching is an excellent way of inducing oversteer when turning into tight hairpins, a little like momentarily pulling on the handbrake). My S2000 will happily exceed 40mph in first gear, so I use this combination to drop into first and keep the revs in the VTEC range through tight corners. This makes for pretty lairy cornering on wet roads :oops:
I use my first MTPJ and hallux on the brake pedal and roll my foot into supination to allow the lateral border of my foot to blip the throttle. That is, I use my big toe and ball of my foot on the brake and roll the foot over until the outer edge of my foot touches the throttle - this is where the pedal extension really helps. The movement is similar to that experienced when rolling the ankle during an ankle sprain.
S2000 GT - gone

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:13 pm

These pictures demonstrate the manoeuvre very well - green meaning cover the pedal but don't apply pressure; red means apply pressure to the pedal.

ga41 wrote:Another picture:

S2000 GT - gone

ga41

Post by ga41 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:21 am

Kingash what i would suggest is to first try rev-matching, without the braking part and once you get the hang of that then try the complete heel-toe process. And of course watch heel-toe videos on youtube. Lots of them. :D

-- http://www.freerice.com/ For each answer you get right, they will donate 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program --

Kingash

Post by Kingash » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:26 pm

BMWZ4MC- yeah it's an //M coupe, i will look at some pedal covers of some sort, i will start practising from a standstill just getting the motions rights.

Ga41- i usually do try and rev match before i downshift but it's sometimes not be quickest thing to do, that's what made me think maybe it's time to learn to heel and toe, i will take some more time to try wity the Rev matching, one step at a time aye. Thankyou for the vids i will watch em later

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:03 pm

The big problems with the ///M are the over-servo'ed brakes and the fly-by-wire throttle.
The brakes are too sensitive, especially when augmented by the pre-pressurisation of the system when you close the throttle quickly (this is a safety feature that is supposed to be in anticipation of the need for an emergency stop if the throttle is slammed closed after hard acceleration).
The throttle is under-sensitive in the early part of its travel. Even with the Sport button pressed, the first 10mm of pedal travel elicits little engine response. Compare this with a car that has a throttle cable where any pedal movement immediately opens the throttle.
The net effect is a propensity to over-braking and under blipping of the throttle with heel and toe at low or moderate speeds. On the track where I brake very much harder than on the road, heel and toe is easy.
S2000 GT - gone

simonlpearce

Post by simonlpearce » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:14 pm

I am also yet to master this in the M, though have it nailed in my E36's as had to in order to stop the rear axle locking up on track days. For me its a pedal issue and i think the only resolve is a plate of some kind per BMWZ4MC. That said often i don't use it on the road as never really need to, aside from it being good practice of course.
Simon's Ruby Black Z4 MC Journal
viewtopic.php?t=70563

E36 M3 Evolution - Individual Journal
http://www.bmwowner.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=209427

The closer you are to death, the more alive you feel!

abar121

Post by abar121 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:26 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote:The big problems with the ///M are the over-servo'ed brakes and the fly-by-wire throttle.
The brakes are too sensitive, especially when augmented by the pre-pressurisation of the system when you close the throttle quickly (this is a safety feature that is supposed to be in anticipation of the need for an emergency stop if the throttle is slammed closed after hard acceleration).
The throttle is under-sensitive in the early part of its travel. Even with the Sport button pressed, the first 10mm of pedal travel elicits little engine response. Compare this with a car that has a throttle cable where any pedal movement immediately opens the throttle.
The net effect is a propensity to over-braking and under blipping of the throttle with heel and toe at low or moderate speeds. On the track where I brake very much harder than on the road, heel and toe is easy.
Yes, exactly. The over-servoe'd brakes and dbw throttle make it less than an pleasure. It is still a big improvement on a 3.0si though, where the throttle delay is worse in either mode.

It is possible to engineer dbw throttles with minimal / almost undetectable lag, as can be seem with many modern motorcycles.
'07 Z4M Interlagos Blue. All options except extended leather.

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:04 pm

I have learnt to do it on the zed. Its not easy with normal road driving but its perfect on track with harder braking.

BMWZ4MC i love that and i will be adding to mine shortly :thumbsup:
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

simonlpearce

Post by simonlpearce » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:24 pm

Machine monkey wrote:I have learnt to do it on the zed. Its not easy with normal road driving but its perfect on track with harder braking.

BMWZ4MC i love that and i will be adding to mine shortly :thumbsup:
Perhaps you could start knocking out a pedal set with this nice little addition for heal toe :poke: :P
viewtopic.php?t=70563

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:29 pm

I dont really want to get involved in anything like that. If someone had a crash and blamed that as a cause. I would feel guilty and i would probably get dragged into court!!

Now if someone asked me to make them a door stop.... I could make you a door stop!!
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

simonlpearce

Post by simonlpearce » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:29 pm

Can't argue with that logic!
viewtopic.php?t=70563

abar121

Post by abar121 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:56 pm

Yes, or your other half drove it, went for the brake and also hit the loud pedal! Or a mechanic!
'07 Z4M Interlagos Blue. All options except extended leather.