Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Heel and toe...

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
simonlpearce

Re: Heel and toe...

Post by simonlpearce » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:58 pm

abar121 wrote:Yes, or your other half drove it, went for the brake and also hit the loud pedal! Or a mechanic!
She's not insured for that very reason, but suppose mechanic is plausible.
Simon's Ruby Black Z4 MC Journal
viewtopic.php?t=70563

E36 M3 Evolution - Individual Journal
http://www.bmwowner.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=209427

The closer you are to death, the more alive you feel!

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:31 pm

The way I've fitted mine it can pivot out of the way minimising the chance of a mechanic stamping on both pedals whilst going for the brake. An alternative would be to fit a fixed metal extension to the pedal which would be less ugly but lack the adjustability for different footwear and for other drivers.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:34 pm

Machine monkey wrote:I have learnt to do it on the zed. Its not easy with normal road driving but its perfect on track with harder braking.

BMWZ4MC i love that and i will be adding to mine shortly :thumbsup:
Cheers - it's the rounded end of a 300mm steel rule. I cut off the last 100mm or so and attached the foot from an old amplifier through the existing hole in the rule. I slipped the cut end under the pedal cover before final tightening of the pedal cover mounting screws. All very simple and cheap to make :thumbsup:
S2000 GT - gone

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:27 pm

Looks great I will get keeping an eye out for the appropriate rubber bung! Or something with aluminium and o rings?!?
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Heel and toe...

Post by paulgs1000 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:24 pm

OP - maybe the name heel and toe can be taken too literally. . . In my M I use more of a roll of the foot using the inside of the right sole for the brake and the outside of the sole on the throttle with my right foot at a slight angle to cover both pedals. I've found it also helps to have the Sport button on as a dab of the throttle brings more revs when working at the higher rev range rather than having to push the throttle much further when driving without the sport button on. I've found it's a vital technique for driving the M fast on tighter roads as any downshift will upset rear if not rev matched. Piloti driving shoes have a wider sole across the ball of the foot which makes them useful for (so-called) heel and toeing.
(Like other posts have mentioned - there's nothing like having to deal with a car that won't run at low revs or has a dodgy handbrake to help you polish your technique - guess it's more something to do with 'older' cars (and older members?) :lol: )
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

mjennings23

Heel and toe...

Post by mjennings23 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:35 pm

I seem to be in the minority here in saying I find the pedal box ideal for heel and toe, but the car has to be in Sport mode or the throttle is far too slow to pick up

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Heel and toe...

Post by buzyg » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:54 pm

paulgs1000 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:24 pm I've found it's a vital technique for driving the M fast on tighter roads as any downshift will upset rear if not rev matched.

it's more something to do with 'older' cars (and older members?) :lol: )
I can take a hint. :lol:

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Heel and toe...

Post by BMWZ4MC » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:26 pm

I think I’ve posted this before. This is how to drive a Holden Barina on a twisty road in the far north of Queensland :D

S2000 GT - gone

rally-chris

Heel and toe...

Post by rally-chris » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:23 pm

mjennings23 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:35 pm I seem to be in the minority here in saying I find the pedal box ideal for heel and toe, but the car has to be in Sport mode or the throttle is far too slow to pick up
Totally agree, near impossible without the perked up throttle response in Sport mode!
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue