Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear end Quad Conversion Progress.

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Z4 M Front Project Begins.......Mmmmmmm(and now rear too).

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:20 pm

Neat installation, but not convinced they look quite right. To me they detract from the great shut lines that come down the bonnet/light and up the brake vent in the bumper. The widened 'X' shape.

As always each to their own and I'm sure I'll be in the minority.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

jakblade

Re: Z4M Front Project Endeth....Mmmm(and now rear too with Quad Conversion(maybe)).

Post by jakblade » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:27 pm

Continuing with rear end enhancements. Need a Quad zorst to go with modded bumper....and so it begins....

Start with one of these..........

And chop the top off....what do you find??? Not a lot!!!! Not what I was expecting.......

Going to attempt to turn the bottom pipe in the last pic to the left and exit it out of the side of box. Then take it across behind bumper to a twin outlet......just need to source some stainless pipe now...

Hhmm,Hhmm. As the mighty MM has pointed out to me my initial plan may cause some unwanted noise/backpressure issues so a re-think is called for. Another plan filed under b1n..... :?
2004 2.5,clear fronts,sides,rears,stubby.Self quad conv+rear bumper, Aero's,108's,spacers, cruise, mfsw, 3.0l brake conv,m-tec discs.Modded Z4M bumper

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Z4M Front Endeth...(and now onto rear end with Quad Conversion(maybe)).

Post by hopz121 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:32 am

Jakblade a few questions for you mate.

Did you fit any of the airduct brackets or a new m undertray for the install?

Does the bumper flex a lot of not?

Do you have any pictures underneath where the bumper meets the old undertray?

Thanks

Ash
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Z4M Front Project Endeth....Mmmm(and now rear too with Quad Conversion(maybe)).

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:31 pm

jakblade wrote:Continuing with rear end enhancements. Need a Quad zorst to go with modded bumper....and so it begins....

Going to attempt to turn the bottom pipe in the last pic to the left and exit it out of the side of box. Then take it across behind bumper to a twin outlet......just need to source some stainless pipe now...

Hhmm,Hhmm. As the mighty MM has pointed out to me my initial plan may cause some unwanted noise/backpressure issues so a re-think is called for. Another plan filed under b1n..... :?
Glad you've had a rethink on the backbox. I was worried that simply turning one pipe and exiting the right hand side would create one pipe some 1-2m longer and invariable increase in pressure, probably exhaust note change and maybe even decreased performance.

It's for these reasons I went custom pipework from mid car to twin boxes at the rear, creating the right note and no change in performance.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

jakblade

Post by jakblade » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:26 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:
jakblade wrote:Continuing with rear end enhancements. Need a Quad zorst to go with modded bumper....and so it begins....

Glad you've had a rethink on the backbox. I was worried that simply turning one pipe and exiting the right hand side would create one pipe some 1-2m longer and invariable increase in pressure, probably exhaust note change and maybe even decreased performance.

It's for these reasons I went custom pipework from mid car to twin boxes at the rear, creating the right note and no change in performance.
After some re-thinking and discussion with MM decided that this is probably the way to go..........

2004 2.5,clear fronts,sides,rears,stubby.Self quad conv+rear bumper, Aero's,108's,spacers, cruise, mfsw, 3.0l brake conv,m-tec discs.Modded Z4M bumper

jakblade

Post by jakblade » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:50 pm

hopz121 wrote:Jakblade a few questions for you mate.

Did you fit any of the airduct brackets or a new m undertray for the install?

Does the bumper flex a lot of not?

Do you have any pictures underneath where the bumper meets the old undertray?

Thanks

Ash
Now then Ash, No I didn't fit any airduct brackets but still to do is to put the ducting actually on to the brakes, so will probably just mount to the wheelarch liner.

the bumper doesn't appear to flex too much and at the moment I only have some temporary fixings to the original undertray. This will be resolved once I have finished the centre piece splitter, which will sit just a little bit higher than the protruding fang protectors and attach to bumper and pick up existing undertray mounts....

No pics as yet, waiting until the splitter is complete.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:02 pm

jakblade wrote:
cj10jeeper wrote:

After some re-thinking and discussion with MM decided that this is probably the way to go..........
That looks much better as you're just adding an extra exit to the backbox, rather than diverting 50% of the flow along a new pipe. Hope all the exhaust doesn't choose to follow the original route.

Call me pedantic on this but I want all 4 pipes to steam equally on a cold day.
Of course you can always go back and partially restrict one of the original exits..

jakblade

Post by jakblade » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:18 pm

Just a little update... Mocked a few parts together for the quad exhaust now all my parcels have arrived. Probability of some adjusts need for the finished article but you get the idea.........I think......

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:07 am

That's quite clearly not going to work as the original tips stop at the edge of the table and the new ones don't even start until well beyond it... Looks like you need to take a feed from the side of the box rather than the back.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

jakblade

Post by jakblade » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:47 pm

Steve84N wrote:That's quite clearly not going to work as the original tips stop at the edge of the table and the new ones don't even start until well beyond it... Looks like you need to take a feed from the side of the box rather than the back.
Point taken. That's why I mentioned some final adjustments necessary. Just got excited with all the new bits and wanted to see how they would fit together. Got some more bends coming to allow me to put a set in the straight pipe to gain the room needed...hopefully.

Just waiting for the weather to turn really crap so I can remove the rear off the zed and get existing box chopped off and start a dry fit to see how stuff fits on the car........Wish me luck..... :rofl:

Yorkie Z

Post by Yorkie Z » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:14 pm

What's your plans to improve the sound. That's just going to sound stock as it is..??

I joined the pipes up inside my back box

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62691&p=999219&hili ... nd#p999219
A Dirty M///

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:34 pm

An angle in the pipe might give you the room as long as there's clearance under the car. Fair play for doing it yourself and good luck. :-)
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

jakblade

Post by jakblade » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:35 pm

Yorkie Z wrote:What's your plans to improve the sound. That's just going to sound stock as it is..??

I joined the pipes up inside my back box

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62691&p=999219&hili ... nd#p999219
Thanks for that Yorkie. Just read your thread, lots of info in there. I just wanted a quad set-up and if I freed up any noise...bonus. But you have me thinking now.....mainly how to make a 2 into 3 inside the box????

spic

Z4M Front Endeth...(and now onto rear end with Quad Conversion(maybe)).

Post by spic » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:48 am

How did you get on and how did it end up ???

jakblade

Z4M Front Endeth...(and now onto rear end with Quad Conversion(maybe)).

Post by jakblade » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:42 am

spic wrote:How did you get on and how did it end up ???
Not done yet. Been waiting for it to warm up a bit my workshop is like a bleedin fridge in winter.
Progress is about to continue shortly so updates will be forthcoming.