Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Front silencer removal

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Jollyjoiner

Front silencer removal

Post by Jollyjoiner » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:22 pm

There is lots of talk about changing the rear box to get a better sound out of a 3.0 !!!
But has anyone left the rear box as it is and removed the front silencers as in the realoem parts list
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=18&fg=10

Would this help to give the desired effect of making it sound a tad sweeter ?
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

Bad_Pritt

Re: Front silencer removal

Post by Bad_Pritt » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:46 pm

I've been told that it would change the tone of the exhaust sound to a higher note, but never heard one with only the mid mufflers removed. Just read on another thread that you can also largen the holes in the exhaust tips, free mod with probably loads effect.

Bad_Pritt

Post by Bad_Pritt » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:46 pm

Jollyjoiner

Post by Jollyjoiner » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:01 pm

Bad_Pritt wrote:I've been told that it would change the tone of the exhaust sound to a higher note, but never heard one with only the mid mufflers removed. Just read on another thread that you can also largen the holes in the exhaust tips, free mod with probably loads effect.
Yes i've seen this but it's a little permanent drilling the holes :|
2009 35i DCT silver

Sclay_

Post by Sclay_ » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:44 pm

I had the silencers removed a couple of months ago on my 3.0si...
Idle - became slightly more rumbley
Driving - not a dramatic improvement but definitely a noticeable change ( a friend could here me drivin down his street for a change). It is a bit louder at a higher tone, it does make me want to go further, but doesn't sound Chavy.
Driving low RPM - no droning

On the down gearing and letting off the acceleration it does a couple of nice burbles and the odd Pop.
I had my mot this week and the machanic drove it off down the street and to me it sounded perfect could maybe be a little bit louder but sounded nice 8)
BMW Z4 3.0 SI Roadster

Aeroadster

Post by Aeroadster » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:14 am

Did this in 2 steps for a friend of mine. Firstly we only cut one of the mid silencers out - slight difference but barely noticeable, you wouldn't know. Secondly, we cut both out and replaced them with straight bypass pipes. Noticeable increase in sound and a little more free flowing while revving. You get nice pops and bangs when you let off the pedal but it's none of that stupid loud saxo chavvy ricer sound :lol: Didn't notice any drone either.

I'd suggest putting clamps or flanges in, that way you can always go back to standard if you don't like it ( I doubt that though - sounds much better IMHO ).

Best of luck and remember to post vids of it up before and after!

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Jollyjoiner

Post by Jollyjoiner » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:11 am

Cheers guys, I think I'll be getting this done to mine this year then :thumbsup:
2009 35i DCT silver

Sclay_

Post by Sclay_ » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:07 am

Jollyjoiner wrote:Cheers guys, I think I'll be getting this done to mine this year then :thumbsup:
Very cheap mod my local garage charged me £30 to fit the bypass pipes with flanges so well worth it and not much lost if you don't like it I suppose
BMW Z4 3.0 SI Roadster

Jollyjoiner

Post by Jollyjoiner » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:19 pm

Sclay_ wrote:
Jollyjoiner wrote:Cheers guys, I think I'll be getting this done to mine this year then :thumbsup:
Very cheap mod my local garage charged me £30 to fit the bypass pipes with flanges so well worth it and not much lost if you don't like it I suppose
This was my thinking, get it flanged the same and if me no likey then i can swap it back, but by the reports from people that have done this then it sounds like it will give just what i'm after.
2009 35i DCT silver

nfbr

Post by nfbr » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:20 pm

Video clips required :D

JimBob78

Front silencer removal

Post by JimBob78 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:19 pm

Resurrecting this one as i have the car booked in for front silencer removal next week and wanted to check on peoples experiences of doing this, better sound? Power loss etc. Also, ive benn quoted 80+vat, is this reasonable?
Any feedback appreciated
Cheers

Jollyjoiner

Front silencer removal

Post by Jollyjoiner » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:01 pm

JimBob78 wrote:Resurrecting this one as i have the car booked in for front silencer removal next week and wanted to check on peoples experiences of doing this, better sound? Power loss etc. Also, ive benn quoted 80+vat, is this reasonable?
Any feedback appreciated
Cheers
Let us know how you get on and what you think of the sound difference
oh and what engine is yours ?
2009 35i DCT silver

JimBob78

Front silencer removal

Post by JimBob78 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:42 pm

Will do!
It's an e86 si
Cheers

JimBob78

Front silencer removal

Post by JimBob78 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:21 pm

Update...
Had this done now and I'm pretty pleased with the results. When potering it just sounds pretty standard, bit deeper on tickover but when step on it it really has a nice tone. I've noticed the occasional muted pop, don't expect loads of crackle, you'd need to change the backbox for that. It also seems to have added a bit more power and improved throttle response but no evidence for that!
Only downside is the mechanic fried a lamda getting some nuts off and is claiming it's not his fault!! No wonder they all have a bad rep...

Limonge

Front silencer removal

Post by Limonge » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:01 pm

JimBob78 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:21 pmUpdate...
Had this done now and I'm pretty pleased with the results. When potering it just sounds pretty standard, bit deeper on tickover but when step on it it really has a nice tone. I've noticed the occasional muted pop, don't expect loads of crackle, you'd need to change the backbox for that. It also seems to have added a bit more power and improved throttle response but no evidence for that!
Only downside is the mechanic fried a lamda getting some nuts off and is claiming it's not his fault!! No wonder they all have a bad rep...
Hello! I am thinking in doing the same in my facelift 2.5si, did you bypass both of the silencers? I attached the picture to make it easier (red arrows). Did you do anything to the final muffler or is it stock?

Cheers!