Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tablet install to replace sat nav (Build thread)

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
igeak691

Tablet install to replace sat nav (Build thread)

Post by igeak691 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:53 pm

This thread is to document my journey as I replace the sat nav screen with a tablet, so that the user interface is up to date with the times.

I found a UI that I think I can use and fortunately, the original designer shared his files to be freely editable.

Here's what I have so far, although I've been tweaking it constantly and have about two weeks before the tablet arrives:

On the left, there will also be a widget for the time and date, as well as current temperature and weather conditions. To make this work, I will be using Nova Launcher and swipe gestures to pull up the app drawer, and another swipe gesture to get to the notifications bar.

In terms of hardware, there have been many installs where heat became an issue for the tablets, specifically for battery health. I have since decided to completely remove the battery and have the tablet hardwired into the car. The 12v cigarette plug remains live, and so will the tablet. At standby, the tablet draws a few watts which, for a convertible with a large battery to accommodate soft top lowering and raising, shouldn't be an issue. If I do run into issues, I will install the battery back into the tablet.

To help with the heat issue, I will also put a hose from the AC vent that will run into the sat nav housing. This should help a little bit, and is easy to implement so I figured why not.

The audio from the tablet will run into the aux in of the radio, and thus should be fine for any audio needs. Where I live, the tablet will be able to access wifi virtually anywhere I go, so 4g internet subscription won't be necessary. If needed, I can turn my phone into a wifi hotspot and the tablet can connect to it.

For those who are wondering why I'd do this, the sat nav offers little that the tablet cannot replace. Also the MK4 dvd based computer systems will more than offset the costs of this project. The size of the z4 also lends perfectly to have that screen be a touchscreen :)

Suggestions are welcome as this project is going to take roughly a month from now to finish. I'll try to document any hiccups along the way, and what solutions I come up with for problems that may arise.
YouTube channel with car vlogs in my zed!
Please subscribe and share my videos with fellow enthusiasts!

GreyZed

Re: Tablet install to replace sat nav (Build thread)

Post by GreyZed » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:01 am

To help with the heat issue, I will also put a hose from the AC vent that will run into the sat nav housing. This should help a little bit, and is easy to implement so I figured why not.

But what about in the winter when you need the heater on max? :?
3.0 auto, sterling grey, hardtop, prfessional nav, dsp, digital tv, bluetooth, cruise, xenons, mfsw, cupholders, auto lights, auto wipers, folding mirrors, memory seats, wind deflector, pdc, 108s, LED sides/fogs, stubby, intravee, need a quad exhaust!

igeak691

Post by igeak691 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:31 am

I've always been more of a fan of seat heaters in the winter. Plus if I do use the heat, it's only for a short bit to warm up the cabin.. that will only be a good thing so that the tablet isn't in subzero temperatures.

Keep in mind that this hose method probably won't work very well anyway.. I don't see it ever making it too cold to use the tablet in the summer, or too hot that it overheats in the winter.

si-forks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by si-forks » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:27 am

Looking forward to seeing the results would love a tablet in my Z4

sent by galaxy S4 on tapatalk
E85 Z4R 3.0si 2006 current:
Audi A3 saloon TFSI DD
Harley Davidson FLH 1969

Bradman

Post by Bradman » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:52 am

Very cool idea! :D

I've been giving serious thought to using a Raspberry Pi coupled to the original Sat Nav screen... Raspberry Pi can be placed somewhere cool (cubby hole between the seats?), runs off a 5V USB lead (plenty of USB to cigarette lighter cables out there, but need to check if they drop the voltage) and can output to a composite video screen, with audio output into the aux of the BMW radio. The 'Pi also has something a tablet doesn't: GPIO ports! Use these to take feeds from various sender units (oil pressure / temperature, voltage, water etc) and you could have a screen full of extra dials, if that's your thing. You lose the touch screen, but you should be able to use a stock BMW joystick (like in the later BMWs) to navigate any menus, or even a mini Bluetooth keyboard and track pad... Software exists out there, or for those of you who can program and fancy writing your own interface, the Pi comes with Python BASIC which is a doddle to use...

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 41&t=70517

Raspberry Pi is very cheap to buy, but sadly for me I don't have a sat nav screen to play with, and they're not so cheap :headbang:

2003 BMW Z4 / 3.0i / manual / hard top / M5 illuminated ZHP / whip / ///M steering wheel / back box delete / 3.64 final drive

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:55 am

hey dude!

Very interested in this... what tablet (and also what OS) are you using?

I'm running with a Hueweii Ascend Mate and Android.
Currently running car dashdroid, and whilst it's ok - it's not perfect, so am looking to replace.

I'm a developer by trade, but never developed on android, so starting a full homescreen/launcher from scratch seemed a bit daunting for me...

anyways.. very interested!
:zzzz:

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:47 am

Cracking idea, and whilst it's of little use for my zed, I'm really interested to see the results :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

adam1985

Post by adam1985 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:07 am

Bradman wrote:Very cool idea! :D

I've been giving serious thought to using a Raspberry Pi coupled to the original Sat Nav screen... Raspberry Pi can be placed somewhere cool (cubby hole between the seats?), runs off a 5V USB lead (plenty of USB to cigarette lighter cables out there, but need to check if they drop the voltage) and can output to a composite video screen, with audio output into the aux of the BMW radio. The 'Pi also has something a tablet doesn't: GPIO ports! Use these to take feeds from various sender units (oil pressure / temperature, voltage, water etc) and you could have a screen full of extra dials, if that's your thing. You lose the touch screen, but you should be able to use a stock BMW joystick (like in the later BMWs) to navigate any menus, or even a mini Bluetooth keyboard and track pad... Software exists out there, or for those of you who can program and fancy writing your own interface, the Pi comes with Python BASIC which is a doddle to use...

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 41&t=70517

Raspberry Pi is very cheap to buy, but sadly for me I don't have a sat nav screen to play with, and they're not so cheap :headbang:
Only issue i can see with a pi is boot time. I use one with xbmc as a media centre and it takes a good minute to boot fully. By this time you would likely be driving already.
If you wanted to test it you could get one of there http://www.amazon.co.uk/PiTFT-Mini-Kit- ... B00H9B1DTAto try and get the pi to display data from sender ports
57 BMW 3.0si sport Coupe, Carbon Black, Bilstein B12 Suspension, CSL reps & style 339s for winter - Current
10 Skoda Fabia mk2 vRS, Rallye Green, Black Roof, Black Gigaro Alloys - Gone
08 Fiat Grande Punto Dynamic Sport, Red, Dual Sunroof - Gone

NeilP

Post by NeilP » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:37 am

Interested to see where this goes. That UI is fantastic by the way!

Bradman

Post by Bradman » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:10 pm

adam1985 wrote: Only issue i can see with a pi is boot time. I use one with xbmc as a media centre and it takes a good minute to boot fully. By this time you would likely be driving already.
If you wanted to test it you could get one of there http://www.amazon.co.uk/PiTFT-Mini-Kit- ... B00H9B1DTAto try and get the pi to display data from sender ports
Yes, boot time is a problem - I don't boot into a gui on mine, but it still takes a good half minute... That little touch screen looks good though!

2003 BMW Z4 / 3.0i / manual / hard top / M5 illuminated ZHP / whip / ///M steering wheel / back box delete / 3.64 final drive

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:21 pm

I use an arduino and a pi in my car.

arduino powers up the tablet and the pi on ignition.
boot times disappear that way ;)
:zzzz:

igeak691

Post by igeak691 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:57 am

The point of this exercise was to proof a concept that a tablet doesn't have to look like android system. The implementation won't be easy and will require much tinkering, but that's part of the fun for me. The UI is my favorite part, as I think doesn't take away from the value of the car if it doesn't look like a regular tablet was put into the dash. Right now, the tablet that is on its way is a clone of the galaxy note 2, it was the best I could find to fit the screen, and about $115 vs the cheapest I could find the ascend mate at $190.

sk93, do you have more videos of your implementation? I've watched a few vids of yours, but some of them need a direct link and don't show up on your youtube channel. Would love to see any more pictures/videos you may have made during the making of your screen. One thing that I admire about your build that I will not be able to replicate is using the arduino to automate the screen moving. I've always been interested in arduino based boards and using them for various things, but the learning curve is pretty steep for me. I would LOVE to know how much a board that automatically senses the car is on and turns up the screen costs.

Also sk93, if you have your phablet with the battery still in it, aren't you worried that the heat will kill the battery over time making it expand and possibly burst/bust something? That's the main reason I am removing the battery altogether. The car gets way too hot in the summer for me to comfortably leave any lithium based battery inside the car at those temperatures.

As for boot time, this tablet will be on 24/7.. it will go into deep sleep if in face down orientation so that it only consumes a few watts. Boot time ends up being a nonexistent 2 seconds. After the screen turns on, it will be set to automatically play from pandora, but open up the app torque (of course all these settings can be customized after the installation).

robbansson

Post by robbansson » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:26 pm

what UI is that?
2003 S54 Roadster, M- exhaust, Powerflex, Eibach B12 Pro-Kit, Brembo 4p 348mm floating front / 336mm rear, Recaro seats,

danmiddle2

Post by danmiddle2 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:56 pm

UI looks good - will the shortcuts be customisable?

Seen this - http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... 29&t=56746 ?

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:29 pm

I've always thought that a tablet would be a great idea for the sat nav and music for a car.
Especially if there was an adaptor you can just plug your tablet into and remove it later.
Getting car information would be a bonus as would be integration with the steering wheel controls.

Best of luck.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup: