Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tablet install to replace sat nav (Build thread)

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Tablet install to replace sat nav (Build thread)

Post by sk93 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:27 pm

yep.. I'm planning on working on it most of tomorrow, so I'll share then :thumbsup:
:zzzz:

igeak691

Post by igeak691 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:26 am

Here's what I have installed so far:

Took a whole day basically to get it all set up, but it looks good at least.

Functionality is 90% there. Using proximity sensor, I have it turn off the screen when its in closed position, and turn on the screen when it gets flipped up. Still have to work on the arduino setup, waiting for motor shield.
YouTube channel with car vlogs in my zed!
Please subscribe and share my videos with fellow enthusiasts!

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:55 am

looking good.. the only bit I don't like is the white showing behind the two drilled holes.
Have you considered using plastidip to recolour the tablet black?

Also, are you thinking of installing a small bit of plastic in the holes (or will that intefere with the sensors?

Final question - what tablet is that, as it looks like it fits almost as well as the ascend mate :thumbsup:

btw - you're invited to get Fois internet and phone at a great price, plus a limited time special bonus! Who's a lucky boy? :P
:zzzz:

SamWiseGale

Post by SamWiseGale » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:14 am

Can't get over that interface!

Looks so slick, real nice job :thumbsup:
2008 3.0si Coupe, Piano Black Interior

igeak691

Post by igeak691 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:53 pm

Good idea on the plastidip for the holes on the side. Thats for the front facing camera, and the proximity sensor (which is used to detect when the screen is up or down). I kind of like the white bezel though that surrounds the screen itself but may also plastidip it black to give more OEM look.

Here's a link to the device that I bought:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Best-pri ... 47277.html

It's a galaxy note 3 clone, though I don't think the dimensions match up perfectly.. The ascend mate would be a better choice because it has on screen home, menu, and back buttons which means more screen real estate. But the cheapest I found that was for $180, whereas this was only $90 with a discount I had (it was on sale for $115, and then I got $25 back). It has the same specs as the Ascend mate too, so I wasn't sacrificing anything other than on screen buttons.

Edit:

Just sharpied the camera and proximity sensor, both functioning as good as before. Thanks for the idea sk93! Probably going to leave the white bezel.

Thinking about getting a matte screen protector also, to reduce glares and fingerprints. Maybe one from a nexus 7 cut to size, as I can't find one for this particular model.

se4y

Post by se4y » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:25 am

igeak691 wrote:Here's what I have installed so far:

Took a whole day basically to get it all set up, but it looks good at least.

Functionality is 90% there. Using proximity sensor, I have it turn off the screen when its in closed position, and turn on the screen when it gets flipped up. Still have to work on the arduino setup, waiting for motor shield.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I still think there are too many diferent between tablet and car using tablet.
I have buy a odb2 device some months ago.It works perfectly when I use it for analysis fault code occasionally.But it is not a good experience for realtime using for too much steps.
http://imageshack.us/a/img802/2474/pyhi.jpg
1.Touchpad is too far from z4's seat if you need frequent operation.
2.how to gain pure music by z4's sound system?
3.Convenient external usb storage etc.
4.More function means losing one-stop or professinal functions.
http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... 29&t=56746

igeak691

Post by igeak691 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:22 pm

Actually I've found due to the size of the Z4, it's not bad at all reaching for the screen. On another car that is larger, this may have been an issue but it's totally within reach; maybe not sitting completely back against seat, but doesn't feel like I'm reaching over the dash like in other cars.

The Z4's sound system has never really impressed me, and to be honest, my 2004 Civic has a better sound system, stock vs stock. I'm not sure if its my particular Z4, but there is no bass that comes out of the rear speakers, only the fronts, and the volume knob is not very sensitive so you have to turn it a lot for a small change in volume. Sound doesn't sound as "solid" either. Might be just me though.

The tablet will be configured so that it can easily be plugged into a laptop to transfer music/videos, etc. Not that I think I'll need it, as I've been used to streaming music rather than having my own music collection, but it'll be good if I need to flash any new roms or general maintenance in the future.

Btw, your thread has a lot of dead images.. can you update them? Would like to see more about this top tier screen of yours that you retrofitted.

se4y

Post by se4y » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:14 pm

igeak691 wrote:Actually I've found due to the size of the Z4, it's not bad at all reaching for the screen. On another car that is larger, this may have been an issue but it's totally within reach; maybe not sitting completely back against seat, but doesn't feel like I'm reaching over the dash like in other cars.

The Z4's sound system has never really impressed me, and to be honest, my 2004 Civic has a better sound system, stock vs stock. I'm not sure if its my particular Z4, but there is no bass that comes out of the rear speakers, only the fronts, and the volume knob is not very sensitive so you have to turn it a lot for a small change in volume. Sound doesn't sound as "solid" either. Might be just me though.

The tablet will be configured so that it can easily be plugged into a laptop to transfer music/videos, etc. Not that I think I'll need it, as I've been used to streaming music rather than having my own music collection, but it'll be good if I need to flash any new roms or general maintenance in the future.

Btw, your thread has a lot of dead images.. can you update them? Would like to see more about this top tier screen of yours that you retrofitted.
The volume knob sensitivity can be set. You can refer to radio manual or free to click those buttons more than three second then you will see the function.:)
You need repeated improvements and lot of time if start the work from very begining but my syetem have not motor under the screen. That is the only regret compare with the oem.

igeak691

Post by igeak691 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:38 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrBspF_o8qA

Still got some bugs to work out. I have changed the sketch up a bit so that the screen works with my setup.

se4y

Post by se4y » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:12 pm

igeak691 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrBspF_o8qA

Still got some bugs to work out. I have changed the sketch up a bit so that the screen works with my setup.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Perfect work!

Rldee007

Tablet install to replace sat nav (Build thread)

Post by Rldee007 » Thu May 06, 2021 9:22 pm

Just a few questions:
What happens if you want to use the car radio or CD player?
How does the tablet connect to the audio?