Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

engine swaps on E85's

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Lightning87

Re: engine swaps on E85's

Post by Lightning87 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:08 pm

thanx tommy ! but a turbo adding would be nice thoug, as it makes the car more special then just a swaped 3.0, but as i said before i have enought time to research, and decide what to do,

tommy are you a member to on z3forum.nl ?
2.5i titan silber Roadster november 2003. no more stubby, M front + aero skirts + aero (pfl) diffusor.

Rialas

engine swaps on E85's

Post by Rialas » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:32 pm

Tommy_hf wrote:@ Lightning,
if you want it to be sporty, swap in a 3.0i M54, add some hot cams, exhaust system and you'll be looking at 275-280 hp without turbo.
and why not sell the 2.5 (the whole car) for a 3.0si. Probably be able to do that and be quids in. Some prefer the smaller engine for economy.

Just trying to save you some money. :poke:
Last edited by Rialas on Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tommy_hf

Post by Tommy_hf » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:35 pm

Well the 3.0i M54 is prefered above the valvetronic engines if you do any sort of forced induction.

Not a member on z3forum.nl (yet... should I? :))

slick

Post by slick » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:08 pm

I was looking into putting a 4.4 M power V8 into my Z ......and converting to hydraulic power steering but to stand a chance of it being cost effective I'de need to buy a crashed M3 to use as a donor..... anyway , I decided its just not going to happen now, getting the engine and trans into the Z wouldnt be a problem ..... its retaining the ESC and TC in the conversion and removing the electric steering motor while keeping the yaw sensor and steering sensor ( both situated in/on the steering coloum)..... all complicated even more by the can bus electrics :cry:
E85 2.5 sterling grey
E89 3.0 se
Porsche 987 Boxster 3.4S
E89 3.5i
TVR Chimerea 4 litres of rolling thunder
Corvette C6 a moment of insanity
E89 3.0i

Lightning87

Post by Lightning87 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:03 pm

@ tommy, any way your welcome ! althoug some times it's like an "old boys" club :P

@ slick sounds nice ! but doenst the Z4M steering collum have those functions ?

i don't fancy selling the car as i now know what i have, a good car with no dammage, and buying a other car it would be an z4 3.o pre fl but those are hard to find in the spec i'd like, and it would be a guess if it would be as good as my 2.5, so engine swap/turbo'ing the car are the only serious options for the future, as i'm first going to do ad an M front, Aero side's, and aero rear diffusor. besides, if it would be posbile i would keep it as long as i can keep it, so resale valuble doen't itrest me

from what i heard ESS also uses parts from the 3.0i to make the 2.5i TS3 ready. so it probably will be worth while to use the forged parts from the 3.0i before turbo'ing/supercharging the 2.5

main plans are this winter body and some interior stuf, and later on next year i want to upgrade brakes and other mechanical stuff.
later on as every thing is done, of course the power has to match up with the rest of the set up, so then i'll be making my final descision.

an other option is to buy a wrecked Z4m in the uk and then use those parts to make the ultimate sleeper, Z4m in pre facelift clothes :P
2.5i titan silber Roadster november 2003. no more stubby, M front + aero skirts + aero (pfl) diffusor.

Rialas

engine swaps on E85's

Post by Rialas » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:29 pm

Last edited by Rialas on Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightning87

Post by Lightning87 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:33 pm

thanx have seen that to, i'll keep out watching for all options.
great that this forum ( all thoug sceptic about swaps) keeps supportive instead of keep yelling buy an M.

is there change needed in the wiring for the M ? or would it hook up to the wiring of the non M's ?

Tommy_hf

Post by Tommy_hf » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:33 pm

How much power is your goal anyway? I do understand what you mean by keeping the Zed, I've been thinking about possible replacements, but just couldn't. The 987 Boxster S is just too girly too look at, the E89 too heavy and fundamentally wrong by moving a 30 kgs roof into the boot when open. Also don't like the roof taking up the bootspace. And the E85 was an instant classic.
You do know that the 3.0 has the forged crankshaft right? That's the main difference between the 2.5, along with the bigger intake manifold+LMM+TB. But you can't just swap out the crank as the cylinder walls are mated to the stroke of the 2.5 crank already, unless you get it honed and replace piston rings which isn't too bad of an idea. 3.0 crank, honed cylinder walls, ported cylinder head while it's already out of the car and consider supercharging it vs mechanically optimized with cams etc. (I prefer N/A tuning though).

ps I'll look into the z3forum as well :) Already on several dutch sites. (driving-fun, nurburgring)

slick

Post by slick » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:57 pm

Lightning87 wrote:@ tommy, any way your welcome ! althoug some times it's like an "old boys" club :P

@ slick sounds nice ! but doenst the Z4M steering collum have those functions ?

i don't fancy selling the car as i now know what i have, a good car with no dammage, and buying a other car it would be an z4 3.o pre fl but those are hard to find in the spec i'd like, and it would be a guess if it would be as good as my 2.5, so engine swap/turbo'ing the car are the only serious options for the future, as i'm first going to do ad an M front, Aero side's, and aero rear diffusor. besides, if it would be posbile i would keep it as long as i can keep it, so resale valuble doen't itrest me

from what i heard ESS also uses parts from the 3.0i to make the 2.5i TS3 ready. so it probably will be worth while to use the forged parts from the 3.0i before turbo'ing/supercharging the 2.5

main plans are this winter body and some interior stuf, and later on next year i want to upgrade brakes and other mechanical stuff.
later on as every thing is done, of course the power has to match up with the rest of the set up, so then i'll be making my final descision.

an other option is to buy a wrecked Z4m in the uk and then use those parts to make the ultimate sleeper, Z4m in pre facelift clothes :P
Yes the Z4 already has the steering and yaw sensors in/on the column........the challenge would be to integrate the V8 engine wiring into the Z's and retaining the steering sensors while also converting it to hydraulic power steering......not forgetting the can bus which is the part that put me off
E85 2.5 sterling grey
E89 3.0 se
Porsche 987 Boxster 3.4S
E89 3.5i
TVR Chimerea 4 litres of rolling thunder
Corvette C6 a moment of insanity
E89 3.0i

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:08 pm

Did you notice the dash on that conversion?

Rialas

engine swaps on E85's

Post by Rialas » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:17 pm

….
Last edited by Rialas on Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mau

Post by Mau » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:23 pm

Tommy_hf wrote:Not a member on z3forum.nl (yet... should I? :))
:hijacked: By all means! Have a go and if you do not like it, nothing is lost right? Has brought me plenty of useful tips without a doubt. :hijacked:
Image More on the '03 roadster and '08 coupe:click me.

Tommy_hf

Post by Tommy_hf » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:56 pm

Haha, Mau, what else, sue me? :-)

Lightning87

Post by Lightning87 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:42 pm

@ tommy hf i know the 3.0 has a froged crand and also the rods seem to be better than the 2.5's.

i under stand your problem, you''l should look at the Z4M if you have te money then, ( as i don't).

only real competitor for the Z4 was a S2000, but choose the BMW for it's name, it's good options and the fact is has a 6 cilinder.

pollo829

engine swaps on E85's

Post by pollo829 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:54 pm

I've heard in another forum that may by just boring your engine to the m54b30 boring size, you might be able to increase power. it won't be the same but it's pretty close to the specs. but I'm not sure how that would work out in that u will still need to figure out the gear rations, ECU,.. etc. I don't tell you to buy a m since I know that's also pretty expensive. so maybe just go around and check until you find out how to do it yourself. remember that the guy who added a 2jz on his z4 did it all by himself, so the only advice is to research and try to learn as much as possible to do it yourself.