Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

engine swaps on E85's

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Lightning87

Re: engine swaps on E85's

Post by Lightning87 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:15 pm

Mau wrote:
Lightning87 wrote:@ mau, that laywer thing does ring a bell, you're at the dutch forum too right ?
Sure thing, I am one of the admins there referred to as the "Forum Beul" :chophead:, but according to my mother I am a really decent chap. :rofl:

:hijacked: As an off topic if you would participate in the "Ronde van Utrecht" of 26 August organised by my brother and myselves, we could shake hands and have a pint :thumbsup:
aha i thought it would be you, at the 26 of august i'm spending my long waited for hollyday in turkey.

and i don't drink not even when i'm not driving :P .
Last edited by Lightning87 on Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2.5i titan silber Roadster november 2003. no more stubby, M front + aero skirts + aero (pfl) diffusor.

Rialas

engine swaps on E85's

Post by Rialas » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:19 pm

Lightning87 wrote: but isn't fitting parts of the N54 like the intake/exhaust manifold, and do a custom turbo set up, an option ? as those parts probably fit the M54 engine ( 3.0 is stronger then the 2.5 but i could use the parts from a 3.0 ), if it's posible it could be an interesting option, as you don't need to swap the whole engine and transmisson and other stuf, and it probably be a lott cheaper than the HPF turbo kit.
Probably much easier and better idea.
Certainly would be a fun project. :thumbsup:

Mau

Post by Mau » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:31 pm

Lightning87 wrote:aha i thought it would be you, at the 26 of august i'm spending my long waited for hollyday in turkey.
Bummer, enjoy the holidays anyway!
:thumbsup:
Image More on the '03 roadster and '08 coupe:click me.

Lightning87

Post by Lightning87 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:35 pm

thanx mau ! maybe we'll meet some time in holland !

but anyone more thaught's about a N54 manifold swap with turbo's ? and 3.0 internals ?
would it be achivable ? as i think the manifolds would fit ( because it being a moddified M54)
2.5i titan silber Roadster november 2003. no more stubby, M front + aero skirts + aero (pfl) diffusor.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:03 pm

But your nearly at that price point with the conversion... including how much the cars worth and its a lot of effort, with no guarantees that the car will be as good as an M anyway, which is worth the premium if you ask me.

With the M you will get all the precise engineering, LSD, Hydraulic steering, M accessories too like the body kit seats and one that is fully loaded sat nav etc. The 2.5 is a completely different car to the M as stock.

Z4Ms havent sat at 15K the price varies from 14 for a quick sale or higher milage example to nearly 20k for a garage queen so its all relative really. (Edit, I am in coupe mode, the roadsters are cheaper.)

Lightning87

Post by Lightning87 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:11 pm

i don't need to be as good as an M, and i think the rear of end of the M isn't as nice as the Rear of the pre facelift. but i just cant afford an M in lhd. mods can be done overtime, and when you have some money you mod.

and i don't think you did under stand me, in holland it's gonna cost me AT LEAST 23.5 K in pounds ( witch is 30k € ) money i just don't wanna/can't spend on the moment.
an upgrade with turbo's of an Supercharger are more of an option because of lower cost in adition to an M . if i was a UK resident i would buy an M because of them costing less than an power upgrade. but i'm not and thanks to dutch legislation an M even costing €25k in germany would cost me aroudn 30k to get on the dutch roads, money i just can't/ dont want to spend.

and for that money i'dd rather buy an R34 GTR :fuelfire:

Rialas

engine swaps on E85's

Post by Rialas » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:52 pm

Subaru? Lots of power, no need to mod.

Lightning87

Post by Lightning87 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:56 pm

no, don't rock my boat and i stil love my BMW Z !
if it goed out i probably buy an VW scirocco or and bwm E46 M3/135i sedan.

until then i'll be hungry for more mods and power ! :evil: , and modding is having z4itis so, i'll probably keep searching for mods in every way,

althoug if i don't come up wit a simple solution for power i'll just buy a cheap turbo monster, like a rhd evo or a 1.8t quattro a4 ( 1.8t can be tuned easily) to make a power monster and just keep the Z for simple touring and driving around.

koolchris99

Post by koolchris99 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:26 pm

THIS FITS :)

Esienmann Race Exhaust, Gruppe M, Carbon Leather interior, Hardtop, CSL's, Eibach Pro springs, EBC discs, EBC greenstuff pads, Tarox Brake lines, Motul 5.1 fluids, powerflex bushs, rogue engineering mounts, Stubby, Aux, Cruise Control, Sound Generator mod

koolchris99

Post by koolchris99 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:27 pm

here is vaguly how they did it.... well similar

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthread.p ... ed-into-Z4
Esienmann Race Exhaust, Gruppe M, Carbon Leather interior, Hardtop, CSL's, Eibach Pro springs, EBC discs, EBC greenstuff pads, Tarox Brake lines, Motul 5.1 fluids, powerflex bushs, rogue engineering mounts, Stubby, Aux, Cruise Control, Sound Generator mod

bcworkz

Post by bcworkz » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:27 pm

If you want big power gains for your existing engine for anything close to a reasonable price, a bolt on engineered product is really the best alternative (ESS etc.). You spend your money, spend a few days for installation, and you're up and running with big power.

Converting an M54 to an N54 would be an interesting project, but it's a project. Your car will be out of commission for weeks, if not months. There's a lot of unknowns to research. Even if you think you've researched everything, things will still come up which were not anticipated, requiring creative solutions and likely additional expenditures. It may look like an affordable approach by adding up the parts costs, but that's only part of the picture. Does anyone know if the parts are really bolt for bolt compatible? All it takes is one bolt hole being changed a mm to cause lots of expensive custom machining. How do you handle fundamental differences like direct vs. port injection? And there's one of your original questions, are the electronics a problem? YES! Not insurmountable, but something you'll have to deal with, costing more time and money.

Will the N54 maps even be proper for your solution? It may run, but may not be ideal, remapping = more time and money. The N54 ECU will run the engine, but will it interface with the car? Maybe, but probably not plug and play. More time and money. It's not just the engine ECU, you also have the immobiliser module to interface. There's seemingly endless interface issues to deal with, mechanical and electronic.

What do you really want? A project? Or just more power?
"The cause of most problems are solutions" (06 3.0si, sport pkg)

Lightning87

Post by Lightning87 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:49 pm

@ koolchris look at this guys, i think the built the hornisse also : http://www.manhart-racing.de/english/pa ... tuning.php

@bcw, thanx for the imput ! i want somekind of project/more power, zo both, but the problem is i can build on the car in the winter month's s ofrom Oktober until half way march, but it's not going to happen this winter. and i'll keep researching al options.

jonnyfive

Post by jonnyfive » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:49 pm

Iam toying with a turbo conversion , the machanics side is faily easy its the electronics side that will be a problem but not imposible . Using a T25 turbo you could relise 320 to 350 BHP with shed loads of touqe, a M beater.Running around 6psi so pretty safe power gains with out detroying your engine .
Iam no expect but the best way to turbo any car is to work in reverse . 1st decide how much horse power you want than choise a turbo to reach that power gain etc.Strapping the bigest turbo that will fit will result in terrible turbo lag and all or nothing power and your engine would probably last for a week.
Live life on the edge or you are taking up to much space!

Lightning87

Post by Lightning87 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:54 pm

there for it might be good using the tubbies from the N54B30, wich are low presure turbo's max 8psi i thought just like the ESS TS2.

but keep me updated on your turbo porject.

Tommy_hf

Post by Tommy_hf » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:03 pm

@ Lightning,
The ESS TS2+ kit will get you at more than enough power for your 2.5 I'd say. Or if you want it to be sporty, swap in a 3.0i M54, add some hot cams, exhaust system and you'll be looking at 275-280 hp without turbo.