Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Jacking Points/Trolley Jack recommendations

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:10 pm

So this might be an RTFM moment, but I'm going to ask anyway...

I want to get the wheels off the car this weekend for a good clean up and seal pre Silverstone. I've not had reason to jack the car before and it doesn't have a jack with it so I need to invest in a trolley jack. I seem to remember that you need to pick one for low ground clearance cars. So any recommendations on a decent one at a reasonable price, and also on jacking points?

Thanks all!
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Jacking Points/Trolley Jack recommendations

Post by tomscott » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:19 pm

Mine is too low to use with a trolley jack so drive it onto some wood to elevate and the trolley jack point is in the middle of the engine bay it is a little round extruding piece of metal. Think it is the same on the rear.

marchantsuk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by marchantsuk » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:23 pm

I bought a £30 trolly jack off amazon, works treat. Looking under the car there is an obvious point in which to place the jack. Just behind the front wheels and just in front of rear wheels. I would recommend a piece of wood on top of the trolly jack to distribute the pressure a little more evenly.
Previous:
e89 2.5se Roadster
5 series touring
SLK 320
Audi A6 Avant Black edition
Now:
e86 M Coupe, Black/Red
Volvo XC60 R-Design

T2FFN

Post by T2FFN » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:29 pm

I bought this yesterday with next day delivery, in my boot now.

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/hydrauli ... olley-jack

Sent from my HTC One X
3.0i

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:29 pm

Cheers all. If I buy online I won't be done for next weekend so I guess it's a trip to Halfrauds or MachineMart etc

Tapatalking...
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:53 pm

As I am about to take my wheels off to fit spacers tomorrow, does anyone have a pic or a diagram of where the centre jack points are on our cars ? Save me some time being able to do two at a time :D

EDIT - Actually, found a useful post on zpost - just in case anyone is looking for it : http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484468
Last edited by Bing on Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:05 pm

Torque Wrench also on shopping list...

sbtwister

Post by sbtwister » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:49 pm

Jack points shown in zpost link above (center points) are for Z4M. Not so sure they are the same (or exist) for non-M?
Alpine white Z4 3.0i, Dream red leather, M-sport seats, suspension, Xenons, Hot seats, Prem. sound, XM Radio, Aux in, Strut brace, Black grill, CF Roundels, Stubby, Half foam, MM Tips.

Drshemming

Post by Drshemming » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:50 pm

Costco do a really good trolley jack, just in case you have one nearby :?
E85 3.0si Sport, Manual.

Sold many years ago - E85 Sterling Grey 3.0i, Auto, MFSW, Heated Seats, Cruise, DSP, GapTech Remote Roof, 108s, 107s, Bluetooth, Leatherz Armrest, stubby de tango'd.

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:55 pm

My nearest one is about 35 miles away

Tapatalking...

Mowflow

Post by Mowflow » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:02 pm

My trusty old trolley jack is about 5mm to high for the rear. I had to use the jack from my wife's car to lift the car a bit from the rear side jacking point then stuck the trolley jack under the jacking point behind the front wheel as this also lifts the rear enough to remove the rear wheel.

Means you can do both wheels on one side at a time. The driving onto bits of wood trick also works. Used to do this with my e90 but couldn't find a piece when looking to jack the z4.

I can confirm there are no centre jacking points on my car. Not sure about the Alpina or facelift models. The M has them.
Mk7 Golf R
Peugeot 205GTi

JaEdBa

Post by JaEdBa » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:23 pm

i got this the other week:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... TC=SRC-low profile trolley jack

it's pretty decent, there is one a tenner cheaper without the sockets but it's slightly less sturdy and was never in stock. if your car's a bit lower than standard you will have to faff round with wooden blocks.

as regards jacking points if you use the one at the front you can lift the whole side of the car adequately to get a axle stand under the rear, i got the ratchet axle stands from halfrauds, they're a fiver more but offer decent adjustability...if that's a word...

if you want to put the whole side on axle stands (i know this sounds a little illogical but if you're working in a garage doing a side at a time is easier than an end, if you get me) then jack the rear up first, axle stand the front on the jacking point, then do whole rear up at the point the two cross beams join under the back end and put an axle stand under the official rear jacking point.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:46 pm

The jacking point on the rear of the car in the Z post link *appears* to be where the two struts meet. Had a look tonight and looks like they are bolted onto part of the chassis, which should be strong enough to support the car. I couldn't see under the front as it is too low and the angle wasn't right, but it looks like there might be one on mine. I will confirm when I get it up on the jack tomorrow, but the ///M is based on the facelift so perhaps different to the pre-facelift ?

My drive is slightly sloped though, so I like the idea of doing a side at a time to ensure that one of the braked rears is on the ground to stop the car rolling, as even with chocks I'd be a tad wary with the back completely in the air.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:00 pm

Just bought one of these in an attempt to minimise potential damage caused by jacking...

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:19 pm

Stuart Truman wrote:Just bought one of these in an attempt to minimise potential damage caused by jacking...

By gum it has taken you a long time to get your car jacked up :D