Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Finally iPod free!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Finally iPod free!

Post by sp3ctre » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:27 am

cj_eds wrote:
Would be nice if it worked with the NAV screen (not that I have one).
Yeah,,, would be really great if it worked in the Aston Martin Vantage as well... not that I have one :rofl:
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

SpikedJuice

Post by SpikedJuice » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:19 am

Does anyone know of a Denison product that will give me the following in my 2004 2.5i (with multi CD changer):

- iPod/iPhone connectivity
- bluetooth connectivity to an iPhone 4S to answer and make calls as well as listen to music
- able to use the buttons on the MSFW to control the iPod (skip tracks and volume) as well as make and receive calls
- display current music information (track, artist etc.) on the BMW Business headunit

It appears the highest model I can get to work with my Z4 is the Gateway 300 but this has no bluetooth. The only Denison product with Bluetooth that will work with my setup is the Gateway Lite BT but I'm not sure if this will display information on the BMW Business headunit...

Many thanks!
2.5i
BMW Stubby | ZHP gearknob | DICE MediaBridge | ///M tri-colour MFSW

Foyzy

Post by Foyzy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:13 pm

Thank you for this fantastic guide. I have used it to successfully get IPod text display working on my Denison Gateway 300 which I just couldn't work out before.

However, while the iPod connectivity is working well, for some reason when I plug a USB flash drive in (brand new HP 64gb) the display simply says 'no USB', so I can't access any of the folders. Can anyone help please?! The main reason I bought the unit was to run USB, not iPod. Cheers!

chris g

Post by chris g » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:32 pm

Ha - did you get IPOD text on your display - my gateway lite shows USB text but not IPOD text ....
[img][/]2007 2.5 si, dension, new sub woofers and amp, cup holders,mods on the list, sound gen, exhaust bypass, lsd, cruise retrofit.....

Foyzy

Post by Foyzy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:38 pm

Yes, I get Ipod text perfectly, but no USB. I don't even get to browse folders or play music with USB, let alone text. Probably something really simple but I just can't figure it out!

nightyard

Post by nightyard » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:52 am

my coupe came with a dension 300 when I bought it, its a nice solution and I have an ipod and a usb flash stick plugged into it and I switch between the 2...but I think an aftermarket headunit is what im going to get next as I don't like the quality of the business class one :thumbsdown:
Current : 640D M Sport & F30 320D
Previous: e39 3.0i, e86 3.0i, e85 3.0i, e46 m3, mk1 Audi TT, e92 2.0D

chris g

Post by chris g » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:57 pm

i fitted the parrott to the landrover and the dension to the zed, the parrot is good if you dont mind an additional display

i had an amp fitted to the zed at the same time and its currently giving me feedback as the dension has an amp too .... back to the shop on monday ...
[img][/]2007 2.5 si, dension, new sub woofers and amp, cup holders,mods on the list, sound gen, exhaust bypass, lsd, cruise retrofit.....

TonyP

Post by TonyP » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:37 pm

Sorry to liven up an old thread, but I thought I'd add to this rather than start a new one, my question is this----Is there any additional functionality by using an iPod as opposed to a USB Stick?

Tony

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:21 pm

That depends upon the hardware solution you're using. Most iPod interfaces just pass through the head unit or steering wheel controls to the iPod. USB keys are obviously dumb devices so any functionality like shuffle, playlists etc are provided by the interface you buy.
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

TonyP

Post by TonyP » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:11 am

Thank-you, although we're predominately Apple/iTunes users in our household I rarely use playlists anyway so I'm thinking a USB stick may be ok.

However a cheapy iPod would be easier as 90% of the music in my iTunes has been ripped in .m4a format which the Dension wont play natively so it would save me using a coverter to make them all into mp3's.

Mangozac

Post by Mangozac » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:20 am

TonyP wrote:Thank-you, although we're predominately Apple/iTunes users in our household I rarely use playlists anyway so I'm thinking a USB stick may be ok.

However a cheapy iPod would be easier as 90% of the music in my iTunes has been ripped in .m4a format which the Dension wont play natively so it would save me using a coverter to make them all into mp3's.
If that's the case I'd go with the cheap iPod then. Functionally there's no difference, it's just that iPods have disadvantages:
- Cost
- Additional complexity (so more prone to failure)
- Internal battery won't like being completely charged all of the time
Current: 06 E85 M Silbergrau
Previous: E85 3.0si Silbergrau, 03 E85 2.5i Maldives Blue.
Mods: Gaptech OTH+R, Dension Gateway 300 with USB, CDV-, clear side indicators, euro tails, stubby, MFSW retrofit, OEM Bluetooth/VR