Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4m Coupe v Z4 3.0 Coupe

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Eurohooner

Re: Z4m Coupe v Z4 3.0 Coupe

Post by Eurohooner » Sun May 29, 2011 5:59 pm

I've had both. You need to drive both as they are different cars and feel very different to drive. I don't think they are better or worse but are different and not just regards the speed. The M is more urgent and feels more highly strung, the 3.0 feels softer but it still a very quick car. Go for the one you like rather than the one you think you should.
Z4MC. Interlagos blue. Black nappa. ITG filter. Eibach springs. 19's M3 alloys.

agentbiscuit

Post by agentbiscuit » Sun May 29, 2011 8:41 pm

Franzino wrote:
agentbiscuit wrote:
Franzino wrote:If you buy a Z4 3.0i coupe and then after some time go into fitting a Z4M bumper, ..
I didn't know there was any physical difference between non M and M Z4s! In what way are the bumpers different?

Sorry, I'm not to Z4s :headbang:
The Z4M has no fog lights, but instead there are cooling ducts for the brakes. Every recent BMW M has this set-up...

Difference BMW Z4M vs Z4 3.0i: rear diff, rear prop shafts, suspension (all parts give or take), rear bumper, front bumper, wheels, tyres, brakes, bonnet, seats, steering is hydraulic not electric, ECU, front struts, front lower wishbones, engine, whole exhaust system, steering wheel, gear box…

Z4 3.0Si

Z4M

Franz, thanks for the in depth reply! I had never really noticed before.
Z4M Coupe, black, totally standard, just as BMW meant it to be...... (other than a strut brace) :0)

johnlondonw3

Post by johnlondonw3 » Sun May 29, 2011 10:28 pm

Thanks everyone ,very sensible responses .....I'd like an M because I would like to think I could handle it ,reality is I'll never use it on a track and I'm too slow to drive it as it needs to be driven !
However I recognise the nagging doubt that I'll always regret not having spent another couple of thousand ...... :headbang:
They both seem great value cars compared to others in a similar performance/quality bracket ,I'm in no rush will keep an eye on prices and see what comes up

billygilly

Re:

Post by billygilly » Sun May 29, 2011 11:37 pm

mediabrand wrote:Also don't get confused with the vanilla 3.0i engine as fitted in the roadsters. The 3.0si engine in the coupe has more power and more torque, and was voted one of the best engines of all time. It's also not without it's flaws... but you can read elsewhere about that. I can't remember the performance figures and I'm out walking the dog at the moment(!) but performance is only marginally inferior to the Z4M on paper. In the real world on British roads, you won't really notice the performance deficit unless you are a law breaking lunatic.

However, if you're intending to track it then the limited slip diff is probably worth the difference in price on it's own!

I drove both and went for the 3.0si as I wanted a comfortable daily driver. 3 months on I have no regrets, but as has been said before it's personal choice.

Just my 2p.

Woo, every days a school day never realised the si engine was never fitted in facelift roadsters

bmwangler

Re: Re:

Post by bmwangler » Sun May 29, 2011 11:44 pm

billygilly wrote:...........Woo, every days a school day never realised the si engine was never fitted in facelift roadsters
That's not right though????
3.0i SE Roadster/De-Badged/Sterling Grey/108's/Xenons/Pro Sat Nav/Stubby/PDC/Retrofit Bluetooth/Cruise/ ///M Steering Wheel/ZHP/ ///M Black Grilles/

Franzino

Post by Franzino » Mon May 30, 2011 12:05 am

bmwangler wrote:
billygilly wrote:...........Woo, every days a school day never realised the si engine was never fitted in facelift roadsters
That's not right though????

Here is the teacher speaking; "The facelift roadster and coupe were both fitted with the 3.0si engine (365 HP)" 8)

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Mon May 30, 2011 12:06 am

billygilly wrote:
Woo, every days a school day never realised the si engine was never fitted in facelift roadsters
I think you have misread what they were trying to say.....

The non M coupe only came with one engine option the 3.0si N52.... the facelift 3.0 roadster has the exact same engine (and in the UK the facelift 3.0 was only offered as an si)

Having driven both the MR and my current 3.0si (obviously :roll: ) i'd say the feel totally different.. the M is much more exciting.. and more of a hooligans car... and coming from an S2000 this was the ideal replacement for me... however i couldnt justify the £400+ RFL... and the real world performance wasnt much different.. however the M certainly feels more exciting to drive.

When i got my car last year i was doing 12K miles a yr... so the 3.0 made more sense to me.. however now my work situation has changed (i now work abroad 4 days a week) so now i'd prob be under 6k a year.... and as such if i had to make the same decision now.. i'd prob opt for an M... however would need to be a coupe.. as that stupid battery in the boot of an M takes up too much space for me to be able to fit golf clubs into a roadster.

billygilly

Post by billygilly » Mon May 30, 2011 2:05 am

Still confused sorry, all coupes have the si engine?

McKoval

Post by McKoval » Mon May 30, 2011 7:58 am

billygilly wrote:Still confused sorry, all coupes have the si engine?
yep, the coupe came out in two options only - 3.0si coupe and M coupe

sammyz

Post by sammyz » Mon May 30, 2011 1:14 pm

If you are doing lower mileages then the extra costs of having an 'M' -road fund, servicing, fuel against the kudos/opportunity of owning an 'M' car for few thousand extra would tip the balance for me.
Yas Marina Blue 35i.

ColoradoCruising

Z4m Coupe v Z4 3.0 Coupe

Post by ColoradoCruising » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:00 am

Having been searching for decent arguments as the merits of both, and my last car in the UK was a 911, here in Denver I've been bewitched by a 2007 Z4Mc. I'm not sure I'd ever not regret going for the M, as the roads in Colorado are pretty fine. So, will likely get my next door neighbour to do his side gig, and head to Vegas with him for an auction and drive back an M. We've just started the search. Otherwise, there is a fine example in Maryland with just 9k on the clock, pristine, from a respected German cars prestige seller.

https://www.avaziauto.com/2007_BMW_Z4%2 ... 858635.veh

That being said, for $35k less, is an equally well-looked after si: https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/45343509 Oh, the American way of putting exclamation marks after each feature. Ho hum. :D

The point being, found this thread to be very informative. And the pros/cons, SWAT analysis, lead to the M. Cheers.

KevinC

Z4m Coupe v Z4 3.0 Coupe

Post by KevinC » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:13 am

ColoradoCruising wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:00 am That being said, for $35k less, is an equally well-looked after si: https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/45343509 Oh, the American way of putting exclamation marks after each feature. Ho hum. :D
That car in your link above is not an M, and also an automatic - COMPLETELY different beast than an M, I can assure you.

Avazi or EAG can provide an ultra-clean, ultra-low-mileage example, but at a price to match (and then some). I managed to find one privately in the last month with 34k miles, full service history back to the 1200-mile service, immaculate condition, super-desirable (for me) spec - Space Gray, carbon leather trim, NON-nav (an absolute requirement) and basically bone stock. Boom, done deal.

I would strongly suggest you drive both versions before making a final decision on M vs non-M. They are vastly different cars. Good luck with your search!
--
'08 Z4 M Coupé
'19 Golf R

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Z4m Coupe v Z4 3.0 Coupe

Post by buzyg » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:50 am

ColoradoCruising wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:00 am Having been searching for decent arguments as the merits of both, and my last car in the UK was a 911, here in Denver I've been bewitched by a 2007 Z4Mc. I'm not sure I'd ever not regret going for the M, as the roads in Colorado are pretty fine. So, will likely get my next door neighbour to do his side gig, and head to Vegas with him for an auction and drive back an M. We've just started the search. Otherwise, there is a fine example in Maryland with just 9k on the clock, pristine, from a respected German cars prestige seller.

https://www.avaziauto.com/2007_BMW_Z4%2 ... 858635.veh

That being said, for $35k less, is an equally well-looked after si: https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/45343509 Oh, the American way of putting exclamation marks after each feature. Ho hum. :D

The point being, found this thread to be very informative. And the pros/cons, SWAT analysis, lead to the M. Cheers.
Wecome to the forum. :) Hope you bag a cracking ///M. That top link looks like a Beauty. 8) :thumbsup: That will be one great drive home. If you get a chance post a hello in the Newbies section, with a pic of your car. :wink:

Wildfire

Z4m Coupe v Z4 3.0 Coupe

Post by Wildfire » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:04 am

I got my E86 in 2011 (I think) and intended to keep it for around 2-3 years. I decided against the extra £3-4k for the M.

Heart says I wish I had bought the M. The car would have depreciated less, I would have had more power, better steering and I love the M looks.

However, the head says for me it was the right choice. The car lives outside and is treated as a daily driver when I do use it. The OH totaled the passenger front wheel and scuffed the front bumper and before that some *rse took out the front wing and bu$$ered off with no note (2 months into ownership). To have that happen to a M would have killed me.

The OH also struggles a bit with the RWD and vision and has a tendancy to light up the TC. Another 80bhp just wouldn't be sensible. That said she now has her own car.

Plus a few things have gone with car: AC condensor and compressor, stuck calipers, new discs all round, starter motor, altenator, water pump, lower control arm bushes. Add in servicing and that would have been a fair bit more expenisve.

Depends on what you will use it for and what your budget is. On the road in real world terms, I've nevr had a problem keeping up with the M boys on runs out. But power is fun :D
2007 3.0si Coupe, LED interior lights, Stubby, ZHP, AC Schnitzers, 15mm spacers on the rear. 1993 Modified Pre-Cat TVR Griffith, Ducati Monster 821, MV Agusta F3 675

ColoradoCruising

Z4m Coupe v Z4 3.0 Coupe

Post by ColoradoCruising » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:21 pm

KevinC wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:13 am That car in your link above is not an M, and also an automatic - COMPLETELY different beast than an M, I can assure you.
Hi Kevin, I know, hence the "well-looked after si" understanding it is not an M.
Anyway, the Vegas auctions which my neighbour attends sounds like a good way forward. And unlike many UK auctions, you do get a 30-day guarantee if there are some major failures, or outstanding liens. Cheers.