Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New springs fitted and Maxum's how to

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
ZermattV
Lifer
Lifer

Re: New springs fitted and Maxum's how to

Post by ZermattV » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:43 am

PS was last seen tracking his 924 writing about his 911 SC in GTPorsche .
Awaiting an Alpine A110
2016 M-Sport Fiesta ST

- Previously - 997 Targa - Z4M 2006 - Z4 3.0 Roadster - MX-5 1.8 Phoenix

adam1985

Post by adam1985 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:03 pm

Darkangelv2 wrote:Apologies, Massive thread resurrection!!!

I used this guide this weekend - thanks so much PawnSacrifice (if you're still here?!)!

One bit of really useful info would be the socket sizes required which would have saved me a bike ride to Halfords half way through (none of my 3 sets had an 18MM socket!).

Also, I've only done the rear so far as I hit issues with the front end (insufficient spring compressors).

For the front, can anyone let me know if it's ok to atleast de-torque the bolt in the top of the front strut whilst it's all bolted up? It's going to be a bugger to steady/grip the strut on my own whilst giving it enough oomph to get it undone when off the car....
Hi Darkangelv2 do not detorque the bolt in the top of the front strut at anytime unless the spring compressors are on the spring as it will release all of the energy stored in the spring. I had to use two sets of spring compressors to to sufficiently compress the spring when I changed mine.
IIRC Once compressed you should see that the top of the thread that you remove the bolt from has a allen key slot. What i did was put a socket onto the nut then pass the allen key through the socket and then use a spanner to twist the nut while holding the allen key.
57 BMW 3.0si sport Coupe, Carbon Black, Bilstein B12 Suspension, CSL reps & style 339s for winter - Current
10 Skoda Fabia mk2 vRS, Rallye Green, Black Roof, Black Gigaro Alloys - Gone
08 Fiat Grande Punto Dynamic Sport, Red, Dual Sunroof - Gone

Darkangelv2

Post by Darkangelv2 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:28 pm

adam1985 wrote:
Darkangelv2 wrote:Apologies, Massive thread resurrection!!!

I used this guide this weekend - thanks so much PawnSacrifice (if you're still here?!)!

One bit of really useful info would be the socket sizes required which would have saved me a bike ride to Halfords half way through (none of my 3 sets had an 18MM socket!).

Also, I've only done the rear so far as I hit issues with the front end (insufficient spring compressors).

For the front, can anyone let me know if it's ok to atleast de-torque the bolt in the top of the front strut whilst it's all bolted up? It's going to be a bugger to steady/grip the strut on my own whilst giving it enough oomph to get it undone when off the car....
Hi Darkangelv2 do not detorque the bolt in the top of the front strut at anytime unless the spring compressors are on the spring as it will release all of the energy stored in the spring. I had to use two sets of spring compressors to to sufficiently compress the spring when I changed mine.
IIRC Once compressed you should see that the top of the thread that you remove the bolt from has a allen key slot. What i did was put a socket onto the nut then pass the allen key through the socket and then use a spanner to twist the nut while holding the allen key.
You legend, thanks very much. I've bought a much better set of spring compressors now (specifically call themselves MacPherson Strut type) which look like they'll be safe and secure.

I had read about an allen key being used to hold the strut but struggled to see how it will be done when I had it in front of me. My sockets don't have a way of using a wrench on them so not sure how I will manage that. In case, I've bought a clamp that secures to the strut without damaging it and you can put a spanner on that.

Either way, I won't touch the bolt until I'm compressed. :thumbsup:
BMW Z4 2006 2.5SI - 437M Wheels - Strut Brace - H&R ARBs
3.0si Brake Conversion - Custom Nappa Sport Interior - Z4M Bumper+Bonnet -
BC Racing BR Coilovers - AFE Stage 2

adam1985

Post by adam1985 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:35 pm

I had a socket like the one in the link below which I think was for a spark plug. It has a flat on it that I put the spanner on. I'm not sure what size you need.
http://www.tesco.com/direct/toolstream- ... 4-8401.prd
57 BMW 3.0si sport Coupe, Carbon Black, Bilstein B12 Suspension, CSL reps & style 339s for winter - Current
10 Skoda Fabia mk2 vRS, Rallye Green, Black Roof, Black Gigaro Alloys - Gone
08 Fiat Grande Punto Dynamic Sport, Red, Dual Sunroof - Gone

soundb0y

Post by soundb0y » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:55 pm

Great guide will hopefully be following it in a couple of weeks!

My new z is just slightly too low and scrapes going into my garage and on speed ramps. Need to find out what springs are actually on it first.
Although it's been up on a ramp and nothings being damaged...

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:23 pm

will be using this, this weekend as need to fit some rubber bump stops on the rear springs, great write up

Darkangelv2

Post by Darkangelv2 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:24 am

Yeah, I was slightly amazed the guide's not sat in the 'How-To' section.

As I say - 18MM & 16MM sockets required! And definitely a breaker bar of some sort (atleast 450MM).

Also, Check and check again that you have your springs the right way round :thumbsup:

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:44 am

as you can see from this, i WILL be doing this at the weekend, i collected 4 new rubber bump stops for the rear yesterday from dealers to fit at weekend as mine currently has NONE and i think 1 of the springs is upside down...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80233

Darkangelv2

Post by Darkangelv2 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:55 am

I used the extra thick (14MM) rear pads as I wanted to avoid the rear end sagging at all (sometimes they don't sit 'level' after lowering).

You will know they are the right way up because the pad's 'nipple' will slot nicely into the correct end and vaguely hold rather than having to be forced in if you do it the wrong way round.

Darkangelv2

Post by Darkangelv2 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:00 pm

adam1985 wrote:I had a socket like the one in the link below which I think was for a spark plug. It has a flat on it that I put the spanner on. I'm not sure what size you need.
http://www.tesco.com/direct/toolstream- ... 4-8401.prd
Thanks for this.

I've bought one of these already through as I reckon it'll be v useful for other stuff too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221847093442? ... EBIDX%3AIT