Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cleaning MV2's

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Boogle

Re: Cleaning MV2's

Post by Boogle » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:23 pm

Reggie-g75 wrote:I use the cheap alloy brush from halfords - You can just about get it in the crack :roll:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... r&istBid=t
I use this, plus the EZ Wheel Brush: http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-an ... d_480.html

And Bilberry wheel cleaner: http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-an ... d_499.html

Cleans the entire inside of the rim quite nicely. I use a sponge on the front after I've had a good go with both brushes. Takes as long to clean the wheels as the entire rest of the car!
Z4 '06 3.0si Sport Silver Grey, Cruise, Aux-Input, Dension, ZHP
Prev: Z4 '57 2.0 Sport Stratus Grey
Soft Top Care Guide

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:27 pm

is that not a bit big?

Reggie-g75

Post by Reggie-g75 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:31 pm

On mine it's fine - bit tight on a few of the creases but good enough. I've actually just bought another one - a 'kent' version from B&Q.
3.0 si sport coupe '07; auto, carbon black, beige oregon interior, zenons, sat nav (with speed cameras!), bluetooth, heated seats, comfort pack, Parrot MKi9200, stubby (from b'ham) and maybe a few other bits....

Reggie-g75

Post by Reggie-g75 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:35 pm

The AG cleaner also makes the process a lot quicker. I spray, agitate with a big hozeloc brush, leave, brush and then use a shampoo laiden sponge. I then demon shine and a quick wipe with a MF to dry. Megs tyre gel and your sorted!
3.0 si sport coupe '07; auto, carbon black, beige oregon interior, zenons, sat nav (with speed cameras!), bluetooth, heated seats, comfort pack, Parrot MKi9200, stubby (from b'ham) and maybe a few other bits....

Sirwacko

Post by Sirwacko » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:35 pm

Taz x wrote:
Sirwacko wrote:Just had mine returned yesterday in satin black... Pics to follow ;)
is it cheeky to ask how much?
Not at all...

£385 buys you

Wheels removed from car
Tyres removed
Wheels acid dipped
Paint jetwashed off
Filled / grinded or smoothed
Bead blasted
Powder coated
Painted
Top coat (enamel)
Tyres on
Balanced and put on car

Practically I've got 4 brand new wheels :D

T-J

Post by T-J » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:44 am

Reggie-g75

Post by Reggie-g75 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:42 pm

Not at all...

£385 buys you

Wheels removed from car
Tyres removed
Wheels acid dipped
Paint jetwashed off
Filled / grinded or smoothed
Bead blasted
Powder coated
Painted
Top coat (enamel)
Tyres on
Balanced and put on car

Practically I've got 4 brand new wheels
wheres the pics?? :poke:

Sirwacko

Post by Sirwacko » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:16 pm

I'll upload them off my iPhone for you Tomoz :-P

Ben.

Post by Ben. » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:14 pm

Sirwacko wrote:I'll upload them off my iPhone for you Tomoz :-P
Looking forward to seeing them in black. I have MV2's on my 330 but also have a set of MV1's. I'm thinking of getting one set powder coated and in black for my winter boots.
Ex-Z owner

Davz

Cleaning MV2's

Post by Davz » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:00 pm

apologies for resurrecting an old thread, it's just that I am fed up with trying to clean the mv2's with a sponge!

Has anyone come up with a cunning plan to easily clean them?

I was thinking of trying these with some Bilberry wheel cleaner? anyone tried this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20Pcs-Foam-B ... SwridaE90j
2006 2.5 Monaco blue, orange footwell lights, Blue boot lights, 20/15mm wheel spacers, Buckley06 gear knob, Aux, MV2's, M pedals, Eibachs, Bilstein B4's, Whiteline front ARB. H&R rear ARB. Roof motor relocated, Alpine speakers, Xenons.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Cleaning MV2's

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:05 pm

Cleaning them was the one thing I didn't like about MV2s.

Those foam brushes look like they ought to work OK.

I sold the car and got one with 108s! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Cleaning MV2's

Post by mr.tourette » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:22 pm

trolls breath then a jet wash followed by the halfords glove shaped noodle mitts seems about the best solution for me so far
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Davz

Cleaning MV2's

Post by Davz » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:32 pm

I'll give the foam sticks a go and report back..........fingers crossed :?
2006 2.5 Monaco blue, orange footwell lights, Blue boot lights, 20/15mm wheel spacers, Buckley06 gear knob, Aux, MV2's, M pedals, Eibachs, Bilstein B4's, Whiteline front ARB. H&R rear ARB. Roof motor relocated, Alpine speakers, Xenons.

skelters

Cleaning MV2's

Post by skelters » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:57 pm

PITA to clean.

The problem with the Wheel Woolies and the Halfords brush is that they're too thick to get into the spokes. The Halfords brush I had was used about 4 times before it was binned. Wheel Wollies sitting in a bag unused.

Had to replace all the lotions and potions I have as stocks were running low. Moved over to the Gyeon stuff to give it a try.

Can honestly say the best results I've had cleaning the wheels is a combination of Gyeon - Q2M Foam, Gyeon Q²M Iron and Gyeon Q²M Tar.

Brake dust removed with the Iron remover and some stains that wouldn't come off without a lot of hard work came off with the Tar remover with very little effort.

I'm convinced all the Tar removal treatments are actually Turpentine.

Foam the car and the wheels
Rinse
Iron on the wheels and leave for whatever it says on the bottle
Rinse
Any bad tar marks or brake dust, staining etc. that won't come off spray it with the Tar remover. Again leave for however long it says on the bottle.
Rinse and repeat if required.

And that's it. No brushes involved and very little effort.

Bilt Hamber - Korrosol Iron Remover also gets good reviews and is a bit cheaper.
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!

Steve84N

Cleaning MV2's

Post by Steve84N » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:28 pm

This is the brush that I find is easy to use and works with some wheel cleaner like Bilberry.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-an ... d_973.html

In my experience the most difficult bit to clean is the concave part before it becomes the inner barrel. You need a lot of bristles on the end of whatever brush you're using to work and most brushes have the majority of bristles along the side.

My C63 multi spoke wheels are actually relatively easy to clean as the transition from outer rim to barrel is smooth rather than stepped. I don't miss cleaning the MV2s on my old 330Ci...
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc