Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Replacing BMW emblem

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Replacing BMW emblem

Post by Stuart Truman » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:46 pm

There's a lot of stuff getting stolen off cars, and over on The Alpina Register someone's D3BT was a target of an ODBCII key clone attempt. I'd like to find a way to wire up a bloody great capacitor to the metalwork and give the thieving gits a (literal) shock :poke:
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:56 pm

Just want to resurrect this post, as I've just replaced my roundels, and whilst this was good for figuring out sizes, there was quite a bit of misinformation / badly worded stuff ;)

Bonnet roundel
70mm (73mm WILL fit however). Held on with nuts that are accessible when removing a kidney grill and reaching up inside the bumper.

Boot roundel
82mm. "Push fit" style (not stuck). I'd advise getting two new grommets before you start incase the originals are degraded.
The grommet part number is 51141807495 and they cost £0.65 inc vat.
Removal: use a plastic card - an old credit card for example. Slide it in behind the badge and slowly lever the badge away from the car.. work round the badge easing it a bit at a time until you can get a grip of it with your hand.. then slowing pull it away from the car and it'll come off. Grommets are removable with a pair of needle pliars.. just pull them out of their holes.

Side indicator roundel
82mm. These are stuck on.
Removal: remove the indicator assembly from the car (turn counter clockwise), then carefully heat the lens and roundel (specifically around the joint) with a hair dryer or (if you're being REAL careful) a heat gun.
As it heats, the adhesive will become plyable and using a thin plastic card (old credit card again!) you can prise the roundel from the lens. Once seperated, using WD40 on a rag, you can clean the residue off the lens, making it suitable for mounting the new roundel on.
:zzzz:

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:32 pm

edit: removed my post, as yours was obviously a typo ;)

you're right.. the front IS 70mm.. however, the 73mm will fit in the recess, but does sit proud when compared to the original.
however, you can also trim the 73mm to fit quite easily ;)
:zzzz:

Caemon

Post by Caemon » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:05 pm

sk93 wrote:edit: removed my post, as yours was obviously a typo ;)

you're right.. the front IS 70mm.. however, the 73mm will fit in the recess, but does sit proud when compared to the original.
What you mean 'trim' which bit and how?
MONTEGO BLUE COUPÉ .E86 3.0si ...| M Suspension | M Steering Wheel | Champagne Leather | Piano Black
108s | SatNav Professional | Cruise Control | Heated Memory M Seats | Xenons | Stubby | Black BMW Roundels

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:19 pm

Caemon wrote:

On either side of the back of the badge, at the edge level with the the lugs, you can 'shave' a centimetre up and a centimetre down from the lug with a craft knife or dremmel in a kind of concave cut. The lowest point needs to be 2 or 3mm deeper than the rest of the edge. I'd put a photo up from another post but I can't find one right now, and the one I had modifies by another member got nicked over a year ago :oops:

I do know it will need stuck on with silicone adhesive behind the badge and in the lug holes though (or strong double sided tape) because, as pointed out above, the lugs are not long enough to attach the self tapping nuts behind the bumper.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Bumpy

Post by Bumpy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:08 am

Wow ! ..
So many opinions here...

Size of Rondels ....
Why not just take a minute and measure it ?
It was my understanding that the front is 70 and the rear is 82.
I just measured the front and it is 70 mm.

If you are considering 'sticking' on any trim, I would recommend 3M Two sided automotive trim tape. You can get it in two strengths (permanent and semi- permanent)
You can cut it to fit irregular shapes. I used it to reattach my Z4 emblem on the rear, and its been through two Canadian winters with no problems.

Removing emblems ...
I would avoid a metal knife. Just asking for scratches or stitches !
If you go that route use a plastic pry or even a spatula.
I prefer using monofilament fish line as my experience with dental floss hasn't been good.

Cheers and Best 'o' Luck
Bumpy

Caemon

Post by Caemon » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:22 am

Bumpy wrote:Wow ! ..
So many opinions here...

Size of Rondels ....
Why not just take a minute and measure it ?
It was my understanding that the front is 70 and the rear is 82.
I just measured the front and it is 70 mm.

If you are considering 'sticking' on any trim, I would recommend 3M Two sided automotive trim tape. You can get it in two strengths (permanent and semi- permanent)
You can cut it to fit irregular shapes. I used it to reattach my Z4 emblem on the rear, and its been through two Canadian winters with no problems.

Removing emblems ...
I would avoid a metal knife. Just asking for scratches or stitches !
If you go that route use a plastic pry or even a spatula.
I prefer using monofilament fish line as my experience with dental floss hasn't been good.

Cheers and Best 'o' Luck
Bumpy
Thanks Bumpy... problem isn't measuring the size of the existing badge - that's easy... but non colour standard replacement badges don't seem to be available at 70mm - either 68mm or 73mm is all I can find in the black emblem design

Bing wrote:
Caemon wrote:

On either side of the back of the badge, at the edge level with the the lugs, you can 'shave' a centimetre up and a centimetre down from the lug with a craft knife or dremmel in a kind of concave cut. The lowest point needs to be 2 or 3mm deeper than the rest of the edge. I'd put a photo up from another post but I can't find one right now, and the one I had modifies by another member got nicked over a year ago :oops:

I do know it will need stuck on with silicone adhesive behind the badge and in the lug holes though (or strong double sided tape) because, as pointed out above, the lugs are not long enough to attach the self tapping nuts behind the bumper.
Thanks Bing any further information / images would be much appreciated :thumbsup:
MONTEGO BLUE COUPÉ .E86 3.0si ...| M Suspension | M Steering Wheel | Champagne Leather | Piano Black
108s | SatNav Professional | Cruise Control | Heated Memory M Seats | Xenons | Stubby | Black BMW Roundels

wiseguy

Replacing BMW emblem

Post by wiseguy » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:07 am

So today I replaced my boot emblem. I thought I’d share some additional advice, which I I didn’t see above. I’m not sure how the last roundel was put on my boot lid, but gently prying the roundel off of the lid, eventually required snapping the roundel lugs, which were FIRMLY lodged in the black plastic grommets. There wasn’t enough to grab onto with needle nose pliers (I tried) so I eventually used a Dremel tool with a small drill bit to remove the stuck broken pegs. I didn’t damage the grommet, but having extras on hand isn’t a bad idea. Mine must have been glued in.
2007 3.0SI Roadster leather/auto/Carver-Logic7
stereo system/xenons/sport/108s/ LeatherZ MK4 armrest/ Ultimate
Cupholders/ GROM BMW Mini 98-06 trunk USB Android iPhone car integration adapter kit

R.I.P. Dice Mediabridge 1500. 2010-2023.

enriqueb

Replacing BMW emblem

Post by enriqueb » Fri May 29, 2020 10:11 pm

thank you for your help

I did indeed what you said and took one kidney and replaced from inside, 70 mm here a picture so everyone knows how it looks like from inside
20200529_221012.jpg
20200529_221012.jpg (165.49 KiB) Viewed 1014 times