Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Driving the Z4 during the winter?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
spreadsheet monkey

Post by spreadsheet monkey » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:27 am

Robb wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:04 am One of the things that annoyed me the most during winter was the windows freezing into the door seals and not dropping for you to get in, pouring water on them every morning to get into my car was becoming tiresome.
Think i might try some silicon based grease this year to see if it helps, other than that it was as good as can be expected, toasty warm but a bit of a liability on the snow, just keep a shovel in the boot.
I've had coupes in the winter before and this is a pain in the bum when the temperature drops below zero overnight. The glass freezes to the door seal, but the electric window motors still try to drop the glass by a couple of cm when you open the door. Can't be good for the window motors or the door seals.

Any recommendations for products to keep the rubber in good shape and stop the glass freezing to it?

spreadsheet monkey

Post by spreadsheet monkey » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:28 am

jhbuining wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:10 am I've got a Webasto ThermoTop-C parking heater in mine (probably the only one on the forum that has one) which is a very nice addition. Also very usefull in above zero conditions to pre-heat the engine. In below zero conditions this also defrosts the windows and prevents problems with frozen door seals.
Nice luxury to have on a convertible. Not cheap though!

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:40 pm

spreadsheet monkey wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:27 am
Robb wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:04 am One of the things that annoyed me the most during winter was the windows freezing into the door seals and not dropping for you to get in, pouring water on them every morning to get into my car was becoming tiresome.
Think i might try some silicon based grease this year to see if it helps, other than that it was as good as can be expected, toasty warm but a bit of a liability on the snow, just keep a shovel in the boot.
I've had coupes in the winter before and this is a pain in the bum when the temperature drops below zero overnight. The glass freezes to the door seal, but the electric window motors still try to drop the glass by a couple of cm when you open the door. Can't be good for the window motors or the door seals.

Any recommendations for products to keep the rubber in good shape and stop the glass freezing to it?
Gummi Pflege
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

chrisgreen

Post by chrisgreen » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:53 pm

if anything it's better in the winter - smaller cabin so heats up quicker. As for water ingress - that will be the same as in the summer!

never had a problem with frozen windows or seals on mine :thumbsup:
'04 E85 Z4 3.0 silver/black - daily driver :driving: - Sold
'02 E46 M3 PY/Kiwi
'05 E46 330d Touring - Silver Grey/Black

biojo

Post by biojo » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:21 am

Tbh for a RWD car, in winter ive never had it not get anywhere.

Yes on freezing temps the windows sometimes can freeze to the seals, gummiplege will help but its not usually at the top where its stuck, its the lower part where the wind goes down. just keap your deicer in boot and apply some to the bottom window edge before you try the doors.