Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Best way to touch-up stone chips

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
JimmyPop

Post by JimmyPop » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:54 pm

Hi,

On the advice of the guy in the local dealer's service department I bought the spray paint touch-up set - paint and lacquer - to fix a couple of small stone chips/scratches. He suggested i should spray it in to a pot and use a fine brush to apply it to the areas rather than use the touch up pen which would leave a thicker blob of paint.

Off I went to do this yesterday after washing my car - filled in a couple of small chips with paint (unfortunately smudging it over the edges slightly). When I applied the lacquer a bit later in the same manner, it seemed to dissolve the paint I had applied, leaving no mark on the surrounding paint work. Overall, the chips look slightly better but are still visible as though it needs to be built up in layers - is this the case? Does the lacquer actually dissolve the paint and make it blend a bit better? If so, should i just keep on applying alternating coats of pain and lacquer until I'm happy with the result or will it damage the surrounding paintwork?

ksher
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Best way to touch-up stone chips

Post by ksher » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:17 pm

I always use touch up pen. I agree that it's easier to have a thick paint over the small chip. So I always try to get only very little paint on the brush before applying it on the chip.
Current BMW: 640d Gran Coupe M Sport (F06), 118d SE (F20).
Previous BMW: Z4 sDrive23i M Sport (E89), 318i Sport (F30), 120d SE (F20), Z4 2.5i Sport Roadster (E85), 523i Sport (E60), 323Ci (E46), 523i SE (E39), 318i (E36).

Russ59

Post by Russ59 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:07 am

I always use a piece of rolled masking tape to a point or a cocktail stick and as you said build up a little at a time.
Dont fill the chip in one go.
When you've dabbed in a few times with colour then repeat with a dab of laquer.

You will always see where the chip was.
2005, 3.0l Toledo Blue, sports seats, sports suspension, ZHP, MFSW,4 clear spot rear lights, clear side repeaters and third brake light , 19" AXE EX14 wheels, DIY carbon badges, interior parts gloss black wrapped, rear spoiler

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:18 am

I use a toothpick to get a very small dab, apply a dab of lacquer then once its hardened over a couple of day just give it a light compounding + a polish and wax.

Darren M

Post by Darren M » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:22 am

I never bother with lacquer because when applying that is usually when the repair ends up sticking out higher than the surrounding paint
Current 2011 X1 2.0d xDrive
2006 Z4 M Coupe Interlagos with Light Sepang interior - GONE 08/2012 - PY56 GH* - where now?
2006 Z4 Si Coupe - Montego blue - GONE approx 05/2009 - WJ56 YU* - where now?

JimmyPop

Post by JimmyPop » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:43 am

Cheers guys. I know it will never be perfect but just want to make a couple of them less noticeable. Especially the one I picked up on my way home from the garage :(

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GAZA62 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:46 pm

Get the Halfords kit much better than OEM one.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... pag%7C%7C1
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

IF IT WAS NOT FOR BAD LUCK I'D HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL

WaZZZZman

Post by WaZZZZman » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:09 pm

You may want to try this product to repair rock chips. I used it on one of my cars, and it worked great, however colors that have a great amount of metallic flaking, the results have not been so spectacular. What happens is that as the chip paint dries, the metal floats to the top and when you rub the blob off you wipe the metallic part off and you can see the chip. If you have a color that is not metallic, you will not be able to see the chip at all. Take the link and see what you think.

http://www.langka.com/

Woots
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Woots » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:50 pm

WHATEVER YOU DO...DO NOTTTT USE A BOTTLE OF T-CUT! :D
Thats my advice :lol:
Lotus Exige 350

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mcbeee » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:52 pm

Woots wrote:WHATEVER YOU DO...DO NOTTTT USE A BOTTLE OF T-CUT! :D
Thats my advice :lol:

Will do Woots, I have one to fix right now so thanks for the tip.

:D :D
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)

stirz

Post by stirz » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:05 pm

2003 2.5 se Sapphire Black ....... eibach springs , stubby , cruise control , led boot light , clear third brake light , zhp gear knob , ice ipod aux

JimmyPop

Post by JimmyPop » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:33 am

Wow! Great write up but I'm a bit too timid to try something as involved as that...

Had a look at the Scratchmaster kit which looks like it may well be something I could cope with. Thanks for the link and everyone's advice!

TO//M

Post by TO//M » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:08 am

This product works amazingly well. But, personally, I prefer to protect the paint with a clear mylar product. Good luck.

http://www.drcolorchip.com/

Thermaltake

Post by Thermaltake » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:19 am

I just used this to do mine

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Loew-Cornell-F ... B004YZXV8U

Found a video of AMMONYC on youtube do a classic Porsche with it and it came out great as did my car. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz-zW-cLdUs

The paint comes out so fine, that it takes multiple little dabs to fill a 1mm stone chip and even more to bring it up to level with existing paint, But if your a keen hand you can almost blend it in perfectly.

My bonnet and top of front bumper now look great, up close you can still see as its impossible to get everything level unless you go down the wetsanding route which i didnt want to do. this gets you 90% of the way for 10% of the work.

I got my paint from paints4u.com, Seems reccomended alot from detailingworld, its pricier than elsewhere, But 100ml of paint with pre mixed laquer was about £17 next day, Match is perfect, Cant see any colour difference on the areas i filled, Just the slight step in paint level where I couldnt get it just right. Their website is naff though.

Only problem with the loew-cornell is it only works vertically from what i found because of the reservoir, Have a chip on my door which could be filled easily but the paint wont come out the loew-cornell as the tip if that fine if held horizontally. Will have to use a toothpick or something similar.

BRC

Post by BRC » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:01 am

Thanks Thermaltake, very useful information especially as this is something I intend to apply myself to over the winter months.

Sold a pair of soft top side covers and now retired.