Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Xenon upgrade

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Dubbedown

Xenon upgrade

Post by Dubbedown » Sat May 13, 2023 3:13 am

Unitedleeds1919 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 1:39 am
Dubbedown wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:41 pm Xenons are fine but the original Hella projectors that came on these cars 20 years ago don’t have the sharpest output. I would use this time to replace the projector entirely and put in high quality d2s bulb. I did this swap 2x and it makes a huge difference and bring it up to par with modern LEDs.

IMG_6284.jpeg

IMG_6285.jpeg
Wow that is impressive
Thank you. The OEM projector upgrade is one of favorite mods for this car. I went with the Morimoto EvoX-R 2.0 since it’s a direct PnP swap with the Hella E55.
Last edited by Dubbedown on Wed May 17, 2023 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow latest mods on Image Imolarot_S54 M Coupe OEM+

agent851

Xenon upgrade

Post by agent851 » Sat May 13, 2023 8:45 am

I've rebuilt my headlights from halogen to xenons (used evox-r projectors), and replaced front lens, as it was scratched somewhat. The results are great - clean cut-off line, good light output, MOT passed.
The hardest part was aligning them with high beam bowls, as just swapping them resulted in high beam being really high. So just a heads up to anyone that is considering replacing the projectors.
Sorry for my engrish

thecremeegg

Xenon upgrade

Post by thecremeegg » Sat May 13, 2023 7:10 pm

I'm going to order from EM Tuning as they do a kit with the required bracket, just plug and play then. There are videos on youtube I think showing the beam
Z4M - Interlagos Blue with Black Leather
Z4 3.0i - Sapphire Black with Red Leather - FOR SALE!

RMB

Xenon upgrade

Post by RMB » Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Just searching around xenon retrofits and discovered this thread.
So my question is should I not be put off by a good car but without xenon’s?
Thanks
E85 2.5i manual for the weekends
F22 M240i
E82 123d. Gone
E46 M3. Sold huge mistake
E46 330ci. Gone

smorris_12

Xenon upgrade

Post by smorris_12 » Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:37 pm

Following on from my earlier contribution here, I've had the Bevensee H7 LEDs in for nearly 2 years now and they're still great. I do a fair bit of night driving so longevity isn't an issue. With this upgrade option I'd pick a car based on anything but headlights knowing I can upgrade for the price of a round of drinks.

Also, I've thrown some H7 LEDs in the non-projector high beams and they're super too. Obviously not quite correctly focussed but that doesn't matter for these.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

RMB

Xenon upgrade

Post by RMB » Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:44 pm

Excellent thanks Scott.
Just remembering my E82 halogens and how bad they were but also a real pita to change bulbs, which was far too frequent.
E85 2.5i manual for the weekends
F22 M240i
E82 123d. Gone
E46 M3. Sold huge mistake
E46 330ci. Gone

Unitedleeds1919

Xenon upgrade

Post by Unitedleeds1919 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:38 am

smorris_12 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:37 pm Following on from my earlier contribution here, I've had the Bevensee H7 LEDs in for nearly 2 years now and they're still great. I do a fair bit of night driving so longevity isn't an issue. With this upgrade option I'd pick a car based on anything but headlights knowing I can upgrade for the price of a round of drinks.

Also, I've thrown some H7 LEDs in the non-projector high beams and they're super too. Obviously not quite correctly focussed but that doesn't matter for these.

I have not changed a bulb on the zed for years and it was my first z4 probably 5 years ago, I remember it been very awkward working blind and very fiddly, my questions if you don’t mind are the led bulbs look massive how do you retain the bulb do use different retainer clips? Also does the original connection fit onto the bulb ie the the wires do they fit the same? I can’t remember what it looks like I changed for performance bulbs which hardly improved visibility, I also like night driving

smorris_12

Xenon upgrade

Post by smorris_12 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:07 am

It's all a bit vague I'm afraid; it's been a while, so this is a few idle rememberances.

Low beams: they had a separate driver and the hardest bit was putting the unit somewhere tidily where it wouldn't rattle about. They required converter rings that allowed them to fit in an H7 holder - possibly they were D2S fitment. I think the driver had flying spade connectors that I just pushed into the loom connector (I presume I wrapped them in tape.)

The high beams were stand alone units. From the fact that I've still got another set of converter rings kicking about, I presume they were direct H7 fitment and I think they plugged straight into the loom.

I don't think I resorted to taking a wheel off for access but I'm a glutton for contorting myself into small spaces!
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

Unitedleeds1919

Xenon upgrade

Post by Unitedleeds1919 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:29 am

smorris_12 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:07 am It's all a bit vague I'm afraid; it's been a while, so this is a few idle rememberances.

Low beams: they had a separate driver and the hardest bit was putting the unit somewhere tidily where it wouldn't rattle about. They required converter rings that allowed them to fit in an H7 holder - possibly they were D2S fitment. I think the driver had flying spade connectors that I just pushed into the loom connector (I presume I wrapped them in tape.)

The high beams were stand alone units. From the fact that I've still got another set of converter rings kicking about, I presume they were direct H7 fitment and I think they plugged straight into the loom.

I don't think I resorted to taking a wheel off for access but I'm a glutton for contorting myself into small spaces!
Cheers buddy, appreciate that, it does seem worth the effort although been honest I’d probably buy the bits and get the garage to get it on the ramp and whip the wheels off :thumbsup:

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Xenon upgrade

Post by mac27040 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:27 pm

facelift xenons are not a straight swap, the pre-facelift main beam used the inner light, the facelift uses the outer xenon. I tried this many years ago and you will lose the flash feature, I was lucky as i had the intravee setup for my nav, the guy added flash to pass for me so mine work fine. Think you would need a new LCM and poss rewire the lights & coding.
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics