Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sat-nav delete how-to?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Sat-nav delete how-to?

Post by markplant » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:07 pm

Mojito wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:49 am Hi Mark,
I'm also interested in what you achieved replacing your sat nav screen. Hats off to you - brilliant piece of work :thumbsup:
I just happen to have a spare working satnav screen, but one that has a couple of pixelated lines, so a perfect donor. Just wanted to ask a couple of questions:
What software are you using with the Xperia as it's a relatively old phone - came out in 2013 I think.
Are you using a bluetooth OBD sender for car info?
I know Xperia will turn on when powered through USB power lead, but how do you get Xperia to turn off - no battery perhaps :? This might be a stupid question :)
You help appreciated
Hi
It was just android with a skin
Yes BT for odb2
I drilled a small hole in the top edge of the nav surround to access the power button to switch off if not been used for some time.
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Sat-nav delete how-to?

Post by markplant » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:07 pm

I'm also interested in what you achieved replacing your sat nav screen. Hats off to you - brilliant piece of work :thumbsup:
I just happen to have a spare working satnav screen, but one that has a couple of pixelated lines, so a perfect donor. Just wanted to ask a couple of questions:
What software are you using with the Xperia as it's a relatively old phone - came out in 2013 I think.
I know Xperia will turn on when powered through USB power lead, but how do you get Xperia to turn off - no battery perhaps :? This might be a stupid question :)
You help appreciated
Hi
Yes BT for odb2
I drilled a small hole in the top edge of the nav surround to access the power button to switch off if not been used for some time.
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Mojito

Sat-nav delete how-to?

Post by Mojito » Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:22 am

markplant wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:07 pm
You help appreciated
Hi
Yes BT for odb2
Thanks Mark, that's really helpful. I've now found this thread: viewtopic.php?t=56746
Really interesting and some great work in there.
E85 3.0i SE Sterling Grey, 2004
E89 20i SDrive M Sport - Mineral Grey - Sold

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Sat-nav delete how-to?

Post by markplant » Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:35 am

That's the one I used , but didn't need to worry about motor control

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Sat-nav delete how-to?

Post by inkey$ » Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:23 am

Mojito wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:22 am Thanks Mark, that's really helpful. I've now found this thread: viewtopic.php?t=56746
The perfect thread, but frustrating that little remains of the imagery to go along with those instructions. Feels like we need a proper how-to for this with embedded thread photos, other options for tablets, etc as I can imagine a few people wanting to take this on.
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

dj_jormi

Sat-nav delete how-to?

Post by dj_jormi » Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:58 pm

Mojito

Sat-nav delete how-to?

Post by Mojito » Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:16 pm

inkey$ wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:23 am
Mojito wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:22 am Thanks Mark, that's really helpful. I've now found this thread: viewtopic.php?t=56746
The perfect thread, but frustrating that little remains of the imagery to go along with those instructions. Feels like we need a proper how-to for this with embedded thread photos, other options for tablets, etc as I can imagine a few people wanting to take this on.
I'm going to continue working on this, but as I've only just got my Z back together, something to play with later in the year. I've got a spare monitor, car has satnav installed and I have a spare headunit with display, so could continue to use OEM radio. I have in mind keeping it as simple as possible. Others have done the hard work - thank you for sharing, especially Mark. Would be nice if I could find a more up to date 6.4" phone that will fit - seem to be quite a few models that might work. I will keep the existing motor setup for raising/lowering monitor and use Tasker or Automateit apps to programme automatic power on and off to phone. I will loose the original car computer info, but bluetooth OBD port to the phone for Torque App. Will also bluetooth sound to car. Sounds easy doesn't it :lol: If I do try it, I'll start a new thread, but as I say a Winter project :)
E85 3.0i SE Sterling Grey, 2004
E89 20i SDrive M Sport - Mineral Grey - Sold

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Sat-nav delete how-to?

Post by inkey$ » Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:17 pm

Mojito wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:16 pm
inkey$ wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:23 am
I'm going to continue working on this, but as I've only just got my Z back together, something to play with later in the year. I've got a spare monitor, car has satnav installed and I have a spare headunit with display, so could continue to use OEM radio. I have in mind keeping it as simple as possible. Others have done the hard work - thank you for sharing, especially Mark. Would be nice if I could find a more up to date 6.4" phone that will fit - seem to be quite a few models that might work. I will keep the existing motor setup for raising/lowering monitor and use Tasker or Automateit apps to programme automatic power on and off to phone. I will loose the original car computer info, but bluetooth OBD port to the phone for Torque App. Will also bluetooth sound to car. Sounds easy doesn't it :lol: If I do try it, I'll start a new thread, but as I say a Winter project :)
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0