Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85 SRS Light problem

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
AntF

E85 SRS Light problem

Post by AntF » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:45 pm

Hi, we have a 2004 2.2 Z4 E85 with around 100k on it. Most things are still working pretty well but recently had an SRS light come on. Coincidentally the seatbelt not buckled warning stopped working around the same time, or was noticed as I looked into the problem.
The code I have read from the B pillar satellite module is "98D5 Resistance,firing circuit,front airbag,right(E85),or passenger airbag(E6x),stage 2,too high". I have removed the seat and cleaned all the contacts, checked B pillar module for moisture and all seems OK and checked the small safety connector in the boot near to the battery. I can clear the code and it seems OK for about 5 days, when the light returns with the same error.

Passenger occupancy seat pad seems to be operating according to the live data I can read. The driver seat buckle isn't showing in live data as connected, even though it is, but the dash light goes out when the ignition is turned on and the car completes the start-up cycle of checks whether the belt is fastened or not. The fact that the seat belt warning doesn't seem to function makes me think the airbag light problem is connected, but the code I get doesn't suggest the tensioner is the issue. Only other thing to check is the connector and wiring on the door airbag.

Does anyone have any experience of this issue? I am wondering if it is worth swapping the seatbelt tensioner to see if that changes anything. Do these need coding or is it a straight swap?

Sorry for long post, but trying to give as much background as possible.
Thanks for any input.

AntF

E85 SRS Light problem

Post by AntF » Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:43 pm

In case this helps others... I went through all the connectors again and rechecked the small connector in the boot near to the battery safety link. I read another post of a guy with a similar issue and thanks to this I have not had the light come back on. The connector was clean but the very fine pins didn't seem to be making a good connection and bending them slightly to tighten the connection seems to have worked.

Sidewaze Samm

E85 SRS Light problem

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:44 pm

AntF wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:43 pm In case this helps others...
Welcome to the forum - so it was self-help for you in this case, but your post may well help someone further down the line :thumbsup:
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

AntF

E85 SRS Light problem

Post by AntF » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:29 pm

Hi, yes, I always hate it when you find a thread with the same issue but never find out how a problem was fixed. I hope this is helpful at some point as I had tried all the other options before replacing parts.