Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85 2004 Headlight Replacement

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
SteveG_z4

Post by SteveG_z4 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:25 pm

Evening All

I have one headlight that is causing me problems with water ingress and some internal damage from previous owner. Second hand units seem to be hard to find and expensive. Considering replacing both units and then selling the one good unit to offset the costs.

There are a few options on Autodoc but none seem to be an exactly the sames as OEM fit.

Does anyone have any experience of swapping them out, not looking for anything clever. Just want a matching set and for it to pass the MOT.

Thanks!!

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:45 pm

I'd always advocate repairing/refurbishing if possible before going to the expense of replacing. What's the 'internal damage' you mentioned'?
Condensation issues can usually be remedied by either reversing the existing back cover gasket or replacing the gasket. Try also smearing some silicone grease on the gasket to see if that helps.
Most internal components are replaceable via using a donor unit if you can find one.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

SteveG_z4

Post by SteveG_z4 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:17 pm

Unit has some debris loose inside from a blown bulb and wiring had been nibbled by something furry while it was left parked by previous owner. Garage got it sorted for MOT but unit looks tatty and I have an intermittent bulb fault that I think it linked to the wiring issues.