Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Engine whine through audio.

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Natishin

Post by Natishin » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:00 pm

I have a 2003 Z4 and an Android phone.
When I plug in a 12v adapter in the cigarette lighter to charge my Samsung phone I hear the engine rev's whining through my speakers.
Do I need a specific BMW adapter?
I remember back in the '80's I'd do something with the spark plug leads that would suppress the noise.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Steve
2003 Z4 3.0i, Merlot.
Cheers, Steve :driving:
'03 Z4 3.0i Merlot, Cream leather interior.
6 spd manual, stubby, Michelin Pilot Sports.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:13 pm

That would generally indicate a bad earth on the audio equipment as a rule, however throwing in charging a phone does seem to cause others to have said whine so is more likely electrical interference.. are you using a cheapo chinese charger in the socket ? If so Id start by buying a genuine item from Samsung and see how you fare then, I never had issues using a genuine Sony lighter socket charger
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

rdm05z4

Post by rdm05z4 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:36 pm

Wait what there are people out there that listen to radio , music while driving their cars!!! Oh the shame of it!! The best music is the sound of the exhaust!! But all kidding aside as stated it probable is a bad ground etc. And yes I too am old enough to remember the noise suppressors that were needed to be installed. Good luck with your issue.
2005 3.0i Manual, Sterling Gray Metallic Sport suspension, heated seats, top line Business Cd radio
2007 Nissan Maxima -Silver-Auto
2009 VW Wolfsburg Jetta-Black-6sp manual

Natishin

Post by Natishin » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:09 pm

Are you able to direct me as to where the ground is located for the radio?
Cheers, Steve :driving:
'03 Z4 3.0i Merlot, Cream leather interior.
6 spd manual, stubby, Michelin Pilot Sports.

rdm05z4

Post by rdm05z4 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:16 pm

It depends on the unit you have. Unlike the units of old most of the newer ones don't have a separate ground wire. The usually are bundled with the newer connectors. The best advice and give is to do a search on your make model of unit for ground wire, or ignition noise. I suspect you may get more information that I can provide with not seeing the setup. Good Luck.
2005 3.0i Manual, Sterling Gray Metallic Sport suspension, heated seats, top line Business Cd radio
2007 Nissan Maxima -Silver-Auto
2009 VW Wolfsburg Jetta-Black-6sp manual