Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Pre-face lift 3.0i vs 3.0i se

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
James93

Post by James93 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:48 pm

Hoping someone can clarify, I bought my z4 which is an 03 3.0i over a year ago but I’ve now noticed there’s a 3.0i se made between 03 and 05.

Is the difference that the se model has slightly higher non-m sport suspension?
E85 3.0i Manual (Black, roof motor relocation, heated seats, Goodyear Eagle F1s, refurbished 108s with grey centres, Xenon headlights, stubby aerial and a secret unknown button)

Mike6

Post by Mike6 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:52 pm

From that age I don't think there is any difference. The later 3.0 si is of course different

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:56 pm

From launch,in 2003(UK), there were se models,and m sport models.
Some se models were also specced up with the M sport pack,which added all the M sport kit on
So it can get confusing,as some think that we m sport didn't exist,lol (But they did).
It was a cheaper and savvy way to get the m sport kit without the m sports models slightly higher cost

To answer the question,A Standard SE model did have slightly higher,circa 10/15mm if memory serves me, without checking, higher suspension,and Standard,non Sport seats (flatter base/non Sport side bolsters.
Hopefully that helps.

2006 model, facelift,was either just Si or Sport,if I remember correctly. :thumbsup:
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

TheDan

Post by TheDan » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:58 pm

All pre-facelift 3.0i cars irrelevant of variant (SE / Sport / M-Sport) came with M-Sport spec suspension, ie 15mm drop on the standard. The 2.5i and smaller had the suspension differences from spec to spec.

For example, mine is a 3.0i SE spec, but came with M-Sport suspension:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (14.09 KiB) Viewed 459 times
In terms of other differences, there are minor things such as if it was built post Oct 2004 the cruise control wiring loom was removed. Previously the loom was present whether the car was specced with cruise control or not.

James93

Post by James93 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:03 pm

craig3.2 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:56 pm From launch,in 2003(UK), there were se models,and m sport models.
Some se models were also specced up with the M sport pack,which added all the M sport kit on
So it can get confusing,as some think that we m sport didn't exist,lol (But they did).
It was a cheaper and savvy way to get the m sport kit without the m sports models slightly higher cost

To answer the question,A Standard SE model did have slightly higher,circa 10/15mm if memory serves me, without checking, higher suspension,and Standard,non Sport seats (flatter base/non Sport side bolsters9.
Hopefully that helps.

2006 model, facelift,was either just Si or Sport,if I remember correctly. :thumbsup:

From checking on auto trader and searching number plates, it seems there’s either 3.0i or 3.0i se, can’t find any titled m sport. So I’m thinking the 3.0i has sport suspension as standard and that you could have paid extra for the sport seats in either? My brain is hurting but yes the suspension height difference is 15mm
E85 3.0i Manual (Black, roof motor relocation, heated seats, Goodyear Eagle F1s, refurbished 108s with grey centres, Xenon headlights, stubby aerial and a secret unknown button)

James93

Post by James93 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:08 pm

TheDan wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:58 pm All pre-facelift 3.0i cars irrelevant of variant (SE / Sport / M-Sport) came with M-Sport spec suspension, ie 15mm drop on the standard. The 2.5i and smaller had the suspension differences from spec to spec.

Capture.PNG

In terms of other differences, there are minor things such as if it was built post Oct 2004 the cruise control wiring loom was removed. Previously the loom was present whether the car was specced with cruise control or not.
I see, if I put my number plate into a checker (Ck53ksf) it comes up 3.0i so i guess it’s either sport or M sport although difficult to tell. If you put in an se car from auto trader they all come up 3.0i se as yours probably would.

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:49 pm

The pre facelift,pre 2006 cars came in Se and Se m sport,with the m sport pack.
The non m sport versions had Standard seats and higher suspension.
I am going from when I owned a 20month old 2005 3.0i back in 2007.
And I looked at Standard,se and M sport models on 05 reg cars,also looked at 06 reg facelift cars at the time,and the M sport was branded Sport in those cars at that time.
The car I ended up buying,back in 07, was a 3.0i SE with the M sport pack,which listed in the sales sheet as having Lowered,Sports suspension,New England leather with (rare) M sport fleck panel,as well as M sport Sports seats.

Often made me chuckle when people said you got se or m sport,but not se m sport spec.
But you did. At that time.

Hope that clears that up :thumbsup:

James93

Post by James93 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:52 pm

craig3.2 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:49 pm The pre facelift,pre 2006 cars came in Se and Se m sport,with the m sport pack.
And I looked at Standard,se and M sport models on 05 reg cars,also looked at 06 reg facelift cars at the time,and the M sport was branded Sport in those cars at that time.
The car I ended up buying,back in 07, was a 3.0i SE with the M sport pack,which listed in the sales sheet as having Lowered,Sports suspension,New England leather with (rare) M sport fleck panel,as well as M sport Sports seats.

Often made me chuckle when people said you got se or m sport,but not se m sport spec.

Thanks, yes that makes sense now, just don’t know what one I’ve got lol. However, interesting that you’re still into Z4s 14 years later, I think a lot of us just get a bug for them!

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:59 pm

James93 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:52 pm
craig3.2 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:49 pm The pre facelift,pre 2006 cars came in Se and Se m sport,with the m sport pack.

Thanks, yes that makes sense now, just don’t know what one I’ve got lol. However, interesting that you’re still into Z4s 14 years later, I think a lot of us just get a bug for them!
If you ask your local BMW dealer nicely,just ask someone in the service department,to print out the spec sheet of your car,going by reg/vin number,as that will tell you exactly
It will show either se,or M sport.
Or like my 3.0i did,it showed se model,with the M sport pack in the options taken on the car.
Cheers

And yeah,came from years of Hot hatches before my first z4, and find them just so capable and enjoyable,and such a raw thrill, especially when pushing on.
Not much else gives such a level of enjoyment at similar price points,be it at a 3k spend or a 17-22k spend,when newer.
There's not much else as raw and good to drive, unless you spend Alot more money.
:driving: :D

Sticks

Post by Sticks » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:18 pm

TheDan wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:58 pm All pre-facelift 3.0i cars irrelevant of variant (SE / Sport / M-Sport) came with M-Sport spec suspension, ie 15mm drop on the standard. The 2.5i and smaller had the suspension differences from spec to spec.

Yes, the 3.0 SE came with M Sport suspension, and thus lower. The only other M Sport option was seats @ £475, which were relatively rare at the time. Some commented at the time they were too narrow but I guess it's all relative. Hard to believe 17"s were standard too.

OP: The 2004 price list doesn't mention a 3.0i, only a 3.0i SE so perhaps an error.
3.0 SE Auto, Sapphire Black, Elipsoids, Xenons, Sat Nav, BT, Cruise, MFSW, 6CD, non-rfts.