Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Advice on OEM Head Unit & Bluemusic

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
marcop123

Post by marcop123 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:16 pm

Hi

I recently got my first Z4 Coupe E86.

It came with the OEM Head unit, i started looking at Bluetooth Modules and read about the Blue Music, The original spec sheet unsure how accurate as says heated seats but i don't have..Says there was CD multi-changer so im hoping cables to connect the blue music but if connect this to the CD changer cables and use source to CD changer does that then make the singe CD on the head unit in operable ? so only left with radio and blue sound BT ?

The sound from the CD player is really good but as had 10 speaker set up i felt it wasn't right and took it to car audio place, who discovered signs of a previous upgrade and the 3x speakers (i forget make) look good quality and proper welded speaker connection etc but they were not working and discovered the 3x speakers on each side not connected.

The audio place suspect that the car was previously upgraded and at some point prior to sale the amp used to power these 6x speakers was removed and likely also the original head unit was put back in.

Before discovering the speakers not connected\working he had suggested replacing the OEM head unit to a kenwood giving 50W as opposed to OEM 20W.

I like the look of the OEM and dont like the look of any new head units with buttons and lights and would be happy with the use of the cd player and blue tooth.

If i add a 4 channel amp (if only want 2 of the 3) lower door speakers to work or 6 channel ( for all 3 to work) he said might just be over kill all 3 each side.
Currently i have 2x tweeters at mirrors area, 2x centre door speakers, 2x rear behind seats (all working good sound) and then the 3x on each lower door not connected as no amp connected to power them.

If Blue sound works with leaving the OEM able to play CDs i will keep it, but if need new head unit that ties in a bit with interior i have the aluminium dash then any options ?
Any 4 or 6 channel amp recommendations ?
or general advice on what best to do with situation, the upgraded speaker system all looks great quality and happy with the hidden find i just now need to either buy right amp, or head unit but ideally the blue sound works for me and the OEM head unit doesnt need replaced to provide more power if buying amp ?

Thanks

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:22 pm

I have the bluemusic Bluetooth receiver plugged in where the cd multichanger previously went. The CD player in the radio head unit still works
Now: Z4MC Titan Silver
Gone: E86 3.0Si Sport Titan Silver - M exhaust + bumper - Battery Relocated - Aero Front
E86 3.0Si Sport Silver Grey - Carbon Diffuser - Aero Kit - B/Box Mod - Storm MW V2
E85 2.5 Si Sport Titan Silver

marcop123

Post by marcop123 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:59 pm

:thumbsup:

veryverydarkblue

Post by veryverydarkblue » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:12 am

Do you have any photos of what you've found? Based on your description I'm not sure you have the OEM 10 speaker option, and that will determine best upgrade path. I'm intrigued by the 3 lower door speakers you mention

The basic setup is 6 speakers: 2 tweeters in the mirror areas, 2x footwell woofers, 2x small round mids behind seat - the door grills look like mid speakers but are actually blanks. The upgraded speaker options have 4 speakers behind the seats (2 subs and 2 mids) and actual mid speakers behind the door grills.

I'm with you that the OEM head unit looks the best, and has great functionality with the bluemusic.
2006 E85 3.0 SI Sport Manual
Midnight Blue IND / Extended Black Leather / MV2s

Prev: 2005 E85 2.0i SE Manual. Sapphire Black. poverty spec.

marcop123

Post by marcop123 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:38 am

Hi I have since discovered the car has had the Jehnert upgrade and door facias ! So quite a find I know am trying to find out if adding an amplifier is sufficient and keep the oem headunit although the Audio guy I visited was dead against it and said would sound terrible and also the blue music is not good but I commented many people on forum rate it but now looking options what I can do to get optimum sound.
https://www.jehnert.de/en/produkt-kateg ... adster-en/

I haven’t yet figured out how to post photos :|

veryverydarkblue

Post by veryverydarkblue » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:57 am

Wow - I've never seen that setup before - that's a cool find! Do you know whether you still have the rest of the Jenhart kit installed i.e. the footwell woofer, mid and tweeters with associated crossover? It's seems odd that the door woofers are there but not connected, as it looks like they are supposed to operate as part of a 2 channel setup through the crossover.

If I were you, I'd probably be trying to piece together the full Jenhart setup and go from there. Ideally you'd want to amp up all of the front speakers together through the properly designed crossovers. Just amping up the door woofers (potentially in parallel, depending on impedance, with a low pass filter) might give you more bass if that's what you want, however you will quickly find lack of power in the rest of the system an issue.

Unless you are a real audiophile, ignore your audio guy re the blue music and OEM head unit. They're more than adequate as a source.

marcop123

Post by marcop123 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:36 am

Hey,
Yeah so yeah currently is 3x Jehnert door speakers and 1x Jehnert speaker above the 3 on door and 1x tweeter and behind the seats I’ve not pulled the grill but thinking will be consistent with whole set up.

So the Jehnert amp looks around £500 and if the previous seller had own head unit he has just removed both and connected up the OEM again.

I have emailed Jehnert to ask what I need to get back to optimum and explained the situation.

I am happy to buy the amp , I’m just not keen on replacing headunit and would like the new amp to work with the OEM head unit and power the system and also if I can add blue tooth I’d be more than happy with.

Thanks for info !

veryverydarkblue

Post by veryverydarkblue » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:24 pm

Sounds like the right move. Good luck!

You will definitely be able to make it work with the OEM head unit. Don't let anyone persuade you otherwise!

marcop123

Post by marcop123 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:55 pm

My car audio knowledge is starting from scratch :)
I had said to car audio place I wanted to keep OEM head unit but add BT and sent link to blue sound but he said sound terrible and need to replace OEM with latest kenwood DAB/CD head unit £189 to give blue tooth and usb and think was 55w RMS and a Hertz DPower amplifier £199 but now finding the Jehnert setup I’d prefer to buy their own amp if it’s easy to do so or I need to find a suitable amp or if this Hertz good enough or if now not spending the £189 for head unit to put towards another amp !
But he had mentioned in-line amplifiers which sounded perfect to then make the OEM head unit suitable but seemingly wasn’t possible then the Hertz amp and the new head unit was only options on table.

I just don’t want to pay over the odds in an area I don’t know enough about but now found this Jehnert set up I’m happy to pay the £500 or so for their own amplifier or an alternative but the hertz does look good £199.

But all the steering wheel kits and facias and cabling all added up to £700+

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:59 pm

I don't know much about audio but whoever your using sounds like they're just trying to flog their stuff rather than actually help you. I do know there's nothing wrong with the BlueSound dongle, works fine you just lose the CD changer. Audio quality is perfect, so that would be enough reason to doubt any advice he is giving for a start.
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

marcop123

Post by marcop123 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:27 pm

I have now checked all the speakers and they are all Jehnert so previous owner has removed the Jehnert amp that came as part of the package they offer. I have emailed Jehnert explaining what I have left if the system and if sell their amps individually etc and what all I need to get it going. The package price seems to be £500 cheaper without the amp or sound system as named but I did find 2 Jehnert used amps on eBay in Germany for about £140.
It may be case trying to sell me their stuff the audio guy but he also said to buy my own if can get cheaper so decent enough and said he would fit it only insisted he buys the connector cabling like for steering wheel kit etc so he knows good and doesn’t set up with some inferior and doesn’t work so that fair enough.

With what talked about I just want to get the amp and bluemusic although out of stock Amazon but I found a place in Germany https://www.musikimauto.de/navi.php?qs=E86&search=

There a couple of options I emailed their support team but error.

I don’t have the navigation system which I’m presuming the DSP reference , the guy previously had a cd changer so should be good to go.
What is the one I want from this German site from the couple of options ? Or if know any other bluemusic sellers ?
Cheers

veryverydarkblue

Post by veryverydarkblue » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:14 pm

Chasing up the Jehnert route is definitely the right one. Integrating those woofers without the proper crossover or amp will be either difficult or disappointing I would think.

There are 4 options for the bluemusic. With or without microphone (for phone use), and either connected by the cd changer (3+6pin) or behind the head unit - all will give you the bluetooth music you want. The newer head unit connected ones are easiest to fit yourself if you are confident removing the air vents (fiddly the first time, easy after that!).

marcop123

Post by marcop123 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:38 pm

Yeah audio guy had vents off so comfortable there after watching.

I will go for the bluemusic with the hands free be as well I guess and only £3 more. So leaves flat pin connection option or no flat pin ? This I’m not sure on.

This DSP1 & DSP2 I’m not sure is this navigation system ?

veryverydarkblue

Post by veryverydarkblue » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:03 pm

The flatpin one is the one you want for fitting behind the head unit.

DSP refers to the audio system that came with the professional hifi option. You can decode your vin to confirm you original options, however, from what's been done to your car so far audio wise, it's exceedingly unlikely to have had it specced as it's reportedly very good and hard to improve on!

marcop123

Post by marcop123 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:44 pm

Ahh ok I was just reading about DSP so still unsure about what was shipped originally with car as the report I got is incorrect in that says like heated seats but there is no option and says 6 cd changer which may just have been removed at this Jehnert upgrade.

I searched eBay for Jehnert amps and there is 2 in Germany which seems to be an 8 channel DSP amplifier. (As I’m still waiting for a reply from Jehnert) this seems a good option price wise as seems to be £500 less when selecting the whole kit without the amplifier so £130 or so 2nd hand, I’m just not sure if this is adaquate or if they do more than one amp and a different one is what I require but also seems unlikely and base their systems around the amp etc so trying to decide if take a punt if it suffice , it’s £150 all in.

Thanks info flat head I will order that now as well from German site 40 euro 7 euro postage , musikimauto.de

It is exciting getting closer to getting this hidden gem firing on all cylinders , this car keeps giving and giving haha