Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Suspension spacer (not wheel spacer) - input appreciated!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Phippy

Post by Phippy » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:34 pm

Hi All,

I recently updated my suspension with some B4's and Eibach springs after much research/help from the forum.

I am pleased with the slightly lowered height and ride quality, especially on smooth roads, the handling is so much nicer through corners - although that could also be partly down to new powerflex ARB bushes too - however I now realise the roads around me aren't as smooth as i had thought!

While the firmness of the ride isn't a problem, it has highlighted an unforeseen issue; if there is a significant dip/bump in the road the front wheel rubs on the wheel arch slightly and the aerodynamic flap scrapes the ground. This might not be a major problem, however it is ruining the enjoyment i get from some of the nice B roads (scenery wise) i like to drive on.

With this in mind i have decided to get a set of suspension spacers, they come in 5mm or 10mm @ ~£50/£80 respectively from Eibach.

Does anyone have spacers fitted and know if the 5mm would resolve the problem, or should i get 10mm to be sure?

If i get 5mm i'd just do the front, whereas 10mm i'd probably get front and back so the car didn't look odd / front higher than back (would like to avoid having to do the back as it was a PITA to get to the rear mounts!)

Alternatively, would fitting the uprated dampers to the front (i think they are B6) also resolve the problem? Is it ok to have different dampers on front to rear (cant see why this would be a problem)

Thanks in advance!

Some pics;

2008 BMW Z4 3.0SI Sport Coupe
2013 VW T5.1 Camper - Built not bought

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:36 pm

Didn't know Eibach did that sort of spacer (spring pad?).

Whatever you fit, make sure the front doesn't end up much higher than the rear, or you risk upsetting the high speed aero balance.

About 10mm higher at the rear seems to suit higher speeds (100mph+) better than the standard 10mm higher at the front...which was figured with crap OEM springs in mind.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:03 pm

How much shorter are the springs now than the original ones? B4 struts are designed to work with standard springs, they will work with Msport (15mm lower) but if you go much beyond that then they won't be at their best.

ZedsDeadbabyZedzdead

Post by ZedsDeadbabyZedzdead » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:05 pm

Seems a tough one

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:45 pm

cut the flaps off an get smaller front tyres - job jobbed :rofl:
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

Phippy

Post by Phippy » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:46 pm

mmm-five wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:36 pm Didn't know Eibach did that sort of spacer (spring pad?).

Whatever you fit, make sure the front doesn't end up much higher than the rear, or you risk upsetting the high speed aero balance.

About 10mm higher at the rear seems to suit higher speeds (100mph+) better than the standard 10mm higher at the front...which was figured with crap OEM springs in mind.
I called them and they do sell them, but you need longer screws to fit through the mounting plate.

In the end i decided to just swap back to OEM springs on the front, will see how it looks but appreciate the heads up about front/back variance. I also ordered new rear springs just in case.

While i'm at it also going to fit the larger spring pad in the rear driver side to get rid of the uneven ride height (passenger higher and driver side at rear).

I will post side by side comparison of the OEM vs Eibach when possible, for anyones future reference.
2008 BMW Z4 3.0SI Sport Coupe
2013 VW T5.1 Camper - Built not bought