Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Starter packed in

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
kis
Lifer
Lifer

Starter packed in

Post by kis » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:40 pm

Thanks for the further replies. I'll try give it a go without moving manifold then ... yes M54B30 :)

Luckily the AA guy removed the bolts to check he could do the job... he said previously he ordered a new starter for a customer and couldn't get the old one off because it had seized on. So the E10? E12? have both been cracked loose. So I'll be able to nip them off with my 10mm spanner. It's the other bolts that will be tricky as they are under the manifold...

Will give it a go at some point in the next couple of weeks :thumbsup:
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

steve_naive

Starter packed in

Post by steve_naive » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:04 pm

The only thing I know about z4 starter motor is that the OE one is small, but the bigger (cheaper?) BMW ones work too.

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Starter packed in

Post by kis » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:41 pm

Evening all,

Managed to get your starter installed today parabolica. And it lives! Works a treat! Thanks buddy!

Was much easier than expected. As I said the AA guy loosened the bolts for me. So used a 10mm to get the bolts out. The hardest part for me was actually getting the unit off the car. I think the locating pin on my engine was quite corroded/seized. So would wiggle slightly but didn’t want to come off.

I used your guide bigwinn. So thanks for taking the time to do that. Very useful!

Just wanted to add, I didn’t remove anything, not even the sound generator pipes. Slightly fiddley but do able. It helped having the new starter for reference for the bolt positions. I removed the big 13mm bolt blind, but then moved the starter into a ‘visible position’ to take the 10 and 8mm off. Then the same when re-installing.

Thanks to everyone for comments/help :thumbsup:
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

1 Series - E87
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Starter packed in

Post by bigwinn » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:59 pm

kis wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:41 pm Evening all,

Managed to get your starter installed today parabolica. And it lives! Works a treat! Thanks buddy!

Was much easier than expected. As I said the AA guy loosened the bolts for me. So used a 10mm to get the bolts out. The hardest part for me was actually getting the unit off the car. I think the locating pin on my engine was quite corroded/seized. So would wiggle slightly but didn’t want to come off.

I used your guide bigwinn. So thanks for taking the time to do that. Very useful!

Just wanted to add, I didn’t remove anything, not even the sound generator pipes. Slightly fiddley but do able. It helped having the new starter for reference for the bolt positions. I removed the big 13mm bolt blind, but then moved the starter into a ‘visible position’ to take the 10 and 8mm off. Then the same when re-installing.

Always a pleasure Kis!!!
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

parabolica

Starter packed in

Post by parabolica » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:56 pm

kis wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:41 pm Evening all,

Sounds like pretty much the same as my experience; to begin with I couldn’t believe I could even get my hands on the starter/bolts let alone get it out - but got there eventually. I also had to shave down the locator pin as I couldn’t get it into the new unit.

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Starter packed in

Post by kis » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:23 pm

parabolica wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:56 pm I also had to shave down the locator pin as I couldn’t get it into the new unit.
Thats a good shout. I should have cleaned mine up, but didn't as I wanted to test fit the unit, then it was a bugger to get it off again. So a TIP to anyone about to do this job, clean the locating pin and/or trim it down if you need before refitting the starter! :D
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

1 Series - E87
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71