Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof Motor - Fixed Spacer & reusable parts?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
getsetbrett

Post by getsetbrett » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:59 pm

Afternoon all,

Front windscreen latch motor working fine & roof retracts as normal to fully down when button pressed.
Main motor behind passenger seat whirring away when trying to put roof up but very slow or no operation unless it is given a helping hand.

My local indy didn't want to remove the roof on my 2006 Z4MR without a plan going forward, he has diagnosed as the motor as the drain holes were indeed substantially blocked.

As we haven't physically seen the motor/pump can anyone tell me the difference between the motors sold with a fixed spacer and one sold without. Is there a difference between pre-facelift & facelift cars......

https://roofmotors.co.uk/bmw-z4-e85-cab ... 347193448-

https://roofmotors.co.uk/BMW-Z4-E85-New ... 347193448)

I am hoping to reuse the other fixings/parts. Is it wise to replace any of the below while I am at it

Pump to Motor seal
*Alloy Spacer
Mounting plate (stainless steel)
Pump to Motor fixing bolts x2 ( stainless steel )
Bowden Cable housing replacement fixing bolts x2 ( stainless steel)
Plastic impeller and fixing shim
Drive engagement pin and spring

thespannerman

Post by thespannerman » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:53 pm

Two things from own experience. One, get the pump/ motor moved into the boot, and Two, if the roof is going ok in one direction but not the other it’s more likely the pump head than the motor part that’s at fault.

Al
BMW newbie, 2003 E85 2.5 SE - but after 10 Discoveries this ought to be a walk in the park :P