Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Retro fit cruise control

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Andrew Sheldon

Retro fit cruise control

Post by Andrew Sheldon » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:29 am

I am considering fitting cruise control onto my E84 2006 Z4. Checking how to fit the new stalk on YouTube I found 2 different methods of fitment , one was a simple plug and play kit in that there was an existing fitting located under the steering wheel that simply plugged into the new stalk. The other system had a whole bunch of wires that needed to be spliced together making it a whole lot harder to fit and not really something I would wish to carry out.
Can anyone explain why there are the two different kits and which one should I use..

Zulu4

Retro fit cruise control

Post by Zulu4 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:48 am

Older Z4's were wired from the factory with all the loom and plugs in place. With my first 2003 Z4, I just bought the stalk and plugged it in (perhaps I modified the plastic surround a bit - it was a long time ago).
Yours may be too new for that - Take the plastic surround off and look for the plug.
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

Rockhopper

Retro fit cruise control

Post by Rockhopper » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:44 am

Check the build date of your car. 2004 its likely to be plug and play - later cars not so much but still not difficult.

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Retro fit cruise control

Post by Zedebee » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:48 am

As Zulu says, take off the lower cowling and have a look for a loose connector (small 2 or 3 pin) in the loom on the left hand side of the steering column. If you have it, then the cruise control stalk is plug and play, you just need to cut out part of the cowl (it’s marked) that the stalk fits into.

If yours isn’t pre-fitted, you can get a custom loom from Srhutch for a reasonable price and it is about an hour to fit with basic skills. If you get one of Hutch’s looms, there is no splicing required and comes with full instructions. Well worth it.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

srhutch

Retro fit cruise control

Post by srhutch » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:35 am

Andrew Sheldon wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:29 am I am considering fitting cruise control onto my E84 2006 Z4. Checking how to fit the new stalk on YouTube I found 2 different methods of fitment , one was a simple plug and play kit in that there was an existing fitting located under the steering wheel that simply plugged into the new stalk. The other system had a whole bunch of wires that needed to be spliced together making it a whole lot harder to fit and not really something I would wish to carry out.
Can anyone explain why there are the two different kits and which one should I use..
As your car is a coupe it won't have the loom fitted. As above I can supply a loom for £20 posted which doesn't require splicing, just re pinning two wires and a pin for the ECU which from memory on the 3.0si is blank so just plug and play.

Andrew Sheldon

Retro fit cruise control

Post by Andrew Sheldon » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:52 am

Thanks for you replies, I will take off the steering cowl and have a look for the small plug in adaptor.. That seems like the way to go..

Sidewaze Samm

Retro fit cruise control

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:52 am

Andrew Sheldon wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:29 am I am considering fitting cruise control onto my E84 2006 Z4.
Don't know what an E84 is, but it's not a Z4.... having said that, if you have a 2006 Z4 then it will not be factory wired for cruise and you will need the loom from srhutch, as above
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

Andrew Sheldon

Retro fit cruise control

Post by Andrew Sheldon » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:12 am

Sidewaze Samm wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:52 am
Andrew Sheldon wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:29 am I am considering fitting cruise control onto my E84 2006 Z4.
Don't know what an E84 is, but it's not a Z4.... having said that, if you have a 2006 Z4 then it will not be factory wired for cruise and you will need the loom from srhutch, as above
Sidewaze Samm wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:52 am
Whoops , my bad... typo... E85 sorry

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Retro fit cruise control

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:16 pm

If I may be allowed to piggyback onto this thread?
Took the lower column shroud off my 2.2i to look for the pre-wired loom for the cruise control.
Found two connectors!
Which one is it?
And what is the other one for please?
Cruise Control Loom.JPG
Cruise Control Loom.JPG (105.77 KiB) Viewed 770 times
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

thespannerman

Retro fit cruise control

Post by thespannerman » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:08 pm

It’s the black one from what I have found.

Al
BMW newbie, 2003 E85 2.5 SE - but after 10 Discoveries this ought to be a walk in the park :P

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Retro fit cruise control

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:22 pm

thespannerman wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:08 pm It’s the black one from what I have found.

Al
Thanks Al, yes that marries up with the photos of the stalk I've found.

So, any idea what the white plug could be for?
Last edited by enuff_zed on Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

ZedsDeadbabyZedzdead

Retro fit cruise control

Post by ZedsDeadbabyZedzdead » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:39 pm

This one looks interesting I’ll keep an eye on the thread from a distance if that’s ok

Special Kay

Retro fit cruise control

Post by Special Kay » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:15 pm

srhutch wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:35 am
Andrew Sheldon wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:29 am I am considering fitting cruise control onto my E84 2006 Z4. Checking how to fit the new stalk on YouTube I found 2 different methods of fitment , one was a simple plug and play kit in that there was an existing fitting located under the steering wheel that simply plugged into the new stalk. The other system had a whole bunch of wires that needed to be spliced together making it a whole lot harder to fit and not really something I would wish to carry out.
As your car is a coupe it won't have the loom fitted. As above I can supply a loom for £20 posted which doesn't require splicing, just re pinning two wires and a pin for the ECU which from memory on the 3.0si is blank so just plug and play.
Hey srhutch,
I realise this is an old thread, and I'm unsure as to whether or not your still making these wiring kits. I've just become the owner of a 07' coupe and would love to add this option to my car. Firstly, do you still make the looms? and what's the process in getting one from you with a set of instructions?
Secondly, could you please supply me the correct part number for the cruise control stalk?
Any additional parts or assistance would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you :thumbsup:

Andrew Sheldon

Retro fit cruise control

Post by Andrew Sheldon » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:08 am

Special Kay wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:15 pm
srhutch wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:35 am
Hey srhutch,
I realise this is an old thread, and I'm unsure as to whether or not your still making these wiring kits. I've just become the owner of a 07' coupe and would love to add this option to my car. Firstly, do you still make the looms? and what's the process in getting one from you with a set of instructions?
Secondly, could you please supply me the correct part number for the cruise control stalk?
Any additional parts or assistance would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you :thumbsup:
They do still do the wiring kits on UK Ebay as well as the stalks. There is a YouTube vlog showing you how to fit it, 3litre cars only.

mattimus

Retro fit cruise control

Post by mattimus » Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:02 pm

Hi, does anybody know anywhere near York who would be prepared to fit an aftermarket cruise control kit to an E86?

I'd rather get someone who's doing this day in day out to fit it than risk me cocking something up.