Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Car Beards Z4M Coupe Progress Thread

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Optinium

Post by Optinium » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:03 pm

Hey again peeps!

So got my (new to me) Titanium Silver 2007 Z4M Coupe delivered to me during last week and decided to do a first drive video in anticipation of me documenting getting it back into shape and doing some mods.

Video is now live on youtube and I'd love some feedback from some people more invested in cars rather then my dis-interested girlfriend xD
It's my first car video so be gentle :D That said if there is any criticisms or suggestions for further content on either the Z4M or Supra then please let me know.

The car is in ok condition but needs a chunk of work to get back to something I'm happy with and then ultimately build upon it.

I'm aiming to also add some stuff to this thread over time and ask for help a plenty :D Infact in my next post I'll need some help sourching an item or 2.

Thanks in advance for any support, it's good to be back in a Z4M >:D

Youtube: Car Beard Instagram: its_car_beard
Current: 2015 F-Type R RWD, 2022 Tucson N-Line S

Gone: 2021 GR Supra Pro 2007 E86 Z4MC 2016 F-TYPE R AWD Convertible, 2014 F-TYPE V6S, 2007 E86 Z4MC, 2010 E89 Z4 23iSdrive

Zulu4

Post by Zulu4 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:26 am

Well done for the in-depth video. :thumbsup:
My only criticism is that, in Britain, it's pronounced "Zed" :D :poke:
Enjoy it :driving:
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

Optinium

Post by Optinium » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:29 pm

Zulu4 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:26 am Well done for the in-depth video. :thumbsup:
My only criticism is that, in Britain, it's pronounced "Zed" :D :poke:
Enjoy it :driving:
:D You're the 3rd person now to pull me up on it haha, I've obviously been watching too many American content. I also work in the gaming industry and use a piece of software called Zbrush and everyone says 'ZEEBrush', it's a habit I can't get out of. In one vid I'll have to pinch myself to not say ZEE :)

Gone: 2021 GR Supra Pro 2007 E86 Z4MC 2016 F-TYPE R AWD Convertible, 2014 F-TYPE V6S, 2007 E86 Z4MC, 2010 E89 Z4 23iSdrive

Optinium

Post by Optinium » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:50 am

Next video is up, doing a walkaround in this one. Explaining what I've found, maybe other people can see something i don't?

Already made a lot of progress on the car, most of which I've recorded which has been fun :D
I'm contemplating some more substantial mods/upgrades for the future.

Question for any BMW/Z owner, has anyone used Performance M in Manchester? Anyone rate them?

Optinium

Post by Optinium » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:46 am

Hey all I'm having a bit of trouble diagnosing a problem with central locking and a auto window up on the passenger side. I believe it might be the GM5 unit but not 100% sure. So this is what I've done so far...

- The car battery has gone flat a few times before sale over the last 18 months and was delivered to me dead so this might be the root cause of the issue. Battery is fully charged and fine now.
- Neither key unlocks or locks the car remotely, for all intents and purposes they seem dead.
- I checked fuses and originally there was a 5amp fuse in one of the central locking spots which kicked up a code, I replaced with a 7.5amp as intended and the code vanished, the 5amp was fine so unsure if that could have caused anything.
- The central locking button in the car works fine, all doors/hatch/fuel cap unlock with the key via the drivers door fine.
- I have tried the 3 variations of the reset/re-pair procedure many times with no luck.
- I have had the GM5 module out of the car and inspected it, it seems to have been repaired in the past.
- Might be related or it could be the keys are just dead, but the light under the mirror doesn't react to any key input.
- As for the windows, Auto up/down stopped working on both. I ran the reset procedure and the driver works perfectly now and the passenger only does auto down not up, tried resetting on multiple occasions with no luck.

After a run through with a scan tool I have a couple of codes remaining with the following info-
0E - Power Window: Open Jam protection strip or lost of scaling/Error EKS electronic Passanger door. (I originally had the same code with the drivers side but once cleared and reset that worked perfectly and the code vanished, however the passanger one remains)

SO... does this seem like the order of operations for a GM5 module issue? both the central locking relays and the one for the passenger window?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Last edited by Optinium on Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:28 am

Could try charging a key on a toothbrush charger or similar, see if that brings it back to life.

Seems like it's had a hard life that one :cry: On the plus side nothing too major to put those bits right. Good luck with it :thumbsup:

(Bluetooth code should be in one of the manuals but wouldn't bother anyway, outdated tech these days, better aftermarket options available)
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:16 am

Not used them personally but Darren wood is the place to go 👍🏻

Optinium

Post by Optinium » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:19 pm

Got some videos do work through soon as I hav some updates on the car but wanted to post this befroe then :)

Did an almost 10 hour round trip today to Essex to grab a set of Aero side skirts from fellow forum member Jonny English.
I'd like to say thanks to Jonny for being such a nice fella and host, he also did a chunk of the graft swapping my standard TitanSilver units with the Aeros which was very much appreciated given I'd just got up at the crack of dawn and done a 5 hour journey :D

His Roadster was in awesome condition and has a nice presence, was cool seeing someone so enthusiatic about the cars. If you didn't know he is parting with some of the mods before selling the car so check out his thread here - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=131422

Here's a quick snap of them on my car, light was getting thin and it's a quick and dirty mobile photo but I'm super happy with them :D

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:31 pm

Lovely - now your car looks how it should have looked when it left the factory. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Roberltd2

Post by Roberltd2 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:40 am

Good quality video production IMHO
2007 E85 2.5 si Sport in Montego Blue.
1994 Eunos J2Ltd - sold and now undergoing restoration.
1963 Triumph Thunderbird.

Optinium

Post by Optinium » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:56 pm

@Mr Tidy - Yeah definately, an expensive bit of plastic but looks awesome :)

@Robertltd2 - Thanks, that means a lot, hopefully future ones will get better :D

A question to people out there with regards to Coilovers... I think I'm after some Bilstein PSS9 or 10's, anyone know where the best deal is to be had?

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:50 pm

Optinium wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:56 pm A question to people out there with regards to Coilovers... I think I'm after some Bilstein PSS9 or 10's, anyone know where the best deal is to be had?
When I bought my car almost 2 years ago fitted with H & R coil-overs I soon realised I knew sweet FA about suspension, and don't know much more now!

But it does seem you need to work out what you want them for! The only adjustable part on mine is the ride height, so they are nothing more than lowering springs with height adjustment. Which suited the previous owner fine because all he was interested in was the car's stance, but I didn't like it grounding on speed-bumps so I got them raised up (and took the spacers off)!

I met up with another MC owner today who has Intrax coil-overs on his car and they have adjustable compression/rebound and camber which suits him fine because he does track days so he drives the car there, stiffens it up then softens it for the drive home. And he can have the camber set to how he likes it, although they need a regular rebuild to keep them how they should be. He did have a disappointing failure on one of the Bilsteins on his previous 3.0Si Coupe FWIW.

But then there are also kw options:- viewtopic.php?f=9&t=131005.

I'm going to stick with what I have because my car is only ever going to be used on the road, and having dampers that are only 2 years old with less than 10K miles on them makes sense. Because although it came with a set of Eibach lowering springs and H & R lowering springs all 8 dampers were OE ones from 2006!

If I was going to fit anything else I'd definitely do an awful lot of research first, based primarily on how I plan to use the car, because getting it wrong isn't cheap!

Good luck anyway. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Optinium

Post by Optinium » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:14 am

Thanks Mr Tidy, it's always nice touch base and have someone drop a few questions to make you double take.

My feelings are that the suspension needs an overhaul, it's still sharp when compared to most cars but it's a bit garunchy at slow speeds, especially when turning and a bit sketchy when taking a hard turn at some speed, it's got way better with new tyres but still a bit not quite there.

I'm after a slew of things, like usual I want everything, it's mostly going to be road driven (spirited driving), I've enjoyed driving it back to back with my Supra as you feel the evolution :D I hope in future I'll have time to do some light tracking but also want it lowering a bit. That said I think my main want is a slightly smoother feel, something a bit less crashy.

If the current equipment on the car was good/new I'd be leaving it but since it needs a refresh I thought it makes sense to put money towards something better all around.

I hear both the KW V3 and PSS9 or 10 are great with the Bilstein being a bit softer with the adjustments easier to access, and they dont need spacers supposedly although I'll be getting some methinks.

I'd love to be told otherwise or advised on any experiences :)

JK0202

Post by JK0202 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:47 am

Those side skirts look really good mate. Another thing to add to my wish list...folk on here weren't joking when they said they are good at helping you empty your wallet! :P
Z4 coupe 3.0si, Sport Silver Grey, manual - ZHP, stubby, gloss black grills, 19" CSL's

330ci Sport Convertible, Oxford Green, Automatic

G01 X3 M Sport Carbon Black

Optinium

Post by Optinium » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:28 am

JK0202 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:47 am Those side skirts look really good mate. Another thing to add to my wish list...folk on here weren't joking when they said they are good at helping you empty your wallet! :P
Thanks,
and yeah don't I know it.
I've spent just over £6k in the last 2 weeks on upgrades and parts for it and probably another £2k in the coming weeks on some maintenance and labour costs for stuff I cannot do feasibly/easily myself. I guess I could have put some more money towards a real minter but then I'd have no fun with it and I'd want to baby it, this way it's guilt free :D