Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Head lights from bi Xeon to halogen

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
bg1

Post by bg1 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:12 pm

The OP has Xenon's which he needs to replace with Halogen for cost reasons.

His Xenon's work on 1 wire but he needs a 2 wire connection for the halogens.

So he wants to know where to get his 2 wires from.

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:21 pm

Alanforde wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:59 pm Thanks for the reply but no one who has replied understands what I’m going on about I’m down grading from a bi Xeon wiring from the computer to a halogen unit (led) which runs on two wires the bi Xeon run on one wire so I will have no high beam
I’m not an expert on car electronics, but looking at the diagrams posted by mac27040, you will need run a wire for each headlight between the light switch and the headlight connector and a wire from each headlight to the earthing point. The earth wire from the direction indicator / high beam switch also needs to be moved to a different earthing point. In theory it shouldn’t be too difficult, but practically it depends on how the looms are routed.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

roblightbody

Post by roblightbody » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:32 pm

I think you've been given a fair bit of decent advice, despite nobody in the topic having tried to do what you're trying to do.

1. Its not easy, which is why nobody else has done it...

2. Even if you manage it, headlight units designed for halogen bulbs, but fitted with LED bulbs, aren't legal in the UK - you may fail your MOT unless you find a friendly MOT. There's been quite a lot about this recently in all the various classic car communities.

I feel your pain with regards to the cost of repairing the xenons, but its a BMW and some parts are expensive (have you tried scrappies?) ... the headlights were probably the most expensive option fitted to your car when new too. Its one of the bits of the car that you just know will be expensive if it needs repaired/replaced.
2007 Stratus Silver E86 Coupe with Amarone interior | 1990 Mini Cooper | 2017 Golf GTi

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:37 pm

Alanforde wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:59 pm Thanks for the reply but no one who has replied understands what I’m going on about I’m down grading from a bi Xeon wiring from the computer to a halogen unit (led) which runs on two wires the bi Xeon run on one wire so I will have no high beam
You'll have to investigate coding the LCM AFAIK.
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

LittleZ4

Post by LittleZ4 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:39 pm

Does this pin out help at all?? It may help if you need to swap wires about??
Attachments
Screenshot_20210903-213703.png
Screenshot_20210903-213703.png (99.55 KiB) Viewed 607 times
3.0i Maldives blue, Coilovers, Bola B1's, Buckley06 Gear knob, Handbrake & Indicator badges, Backbox delete, CDV delete, cupra r splitter, RAM air filter, Bigger Brakes, M3 ARB, SMF.

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:08 am

What pins is this talking about? The headlight connector pins or from? Those don’t look like a normal set up to me. For example Don’t see how you can have 2 indicators and 1 hazard when they are all the same? And rain sensor isn’t a thing for the headlight? Is it? That’s in the windshield AFAIK.
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

1 Series - E87
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Redmex

Post by Redmex » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:14 am

I'm lost with these headlight combinations but definitely need better dipped headlights. I think I have the basic 04 plate Z4 headlight units with Mazda 40w lightbulbs from the living room
Sorry to hijack the thread but what is the best,legal, and cost effective upgrade now that autumn is upon us?

LittleZ4

Post by LittleZ4 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:09 am

kis wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:08 am What pins is this talking about? The headlight connector pins or from? Those don’t look like a normal set up to me. For example Don’t see how you can have 2 indicators and 1 hazard when they are all the same? And rain sensor isn’t a thing for the headlight? Is it? That’s in the windshield AFAIK.
Kis this was taken from an old thread which I believe is the connectors on the headlight side of things. The OP said he need two wires for the main beam, my thinking was this may help locate which wire is which in the connector (or infact the loom on the engine side)
I think this might have been on one of Mac's threads??
3.0i Maldives blue, Coilovers, Bola B1's, Buckley06 Gear knob, Handbrake & Indicator badges, Backbox delete, CDV delete, cupra r splitter, RAM air filter, Bigger Brakes, M3 ARB, SMF.

paulc_bkk

Post by paulc_bkk » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:02 pm

I’m with LittleZ4 on this

Going from xenon to halogen - while unusual should be possible

Move pin 3 to pin 4, and then pin 8 to pin 3 in the car side wiring loom, and it should plug straight into a Halogen setup

There’ll be options to change through programming too to be able to revert to a more basic operational setup

LittleZ4

Post by LittleZ4 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:09 pm

This is my thinking too..plus the rain sensor may be required if for example it's a sunny day but raining heavily. Hence still bright but reduced visibility, lights may get activated?

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:46 pm

paulc_bkk wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:02 pm I’m with LittleZ4 on this

Going from xenon to halogen - while unusual should be possible

Move pin 3 to pin 4, and then pin 8 to pin 3 in the car side wiring loom, and it should plug straight into a Halogen setup

There’ll be options to change through programming too to be able to revert to a more basic operational setup
You need to be careful with swapping those pins. The pictures show a xenon to xenon diagram. Not a xenon to halogen.

I've bench tested a handful of halogens and even pre facelift xenon (apart from the actual xenon...higher voltage and all that). The pins don't match the headlights connectors that I'm familiar with.
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

1 Series - E87
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Sidewaze Samm

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:34 pm

Are you sure your xenons are irrepairable? What exactly is up with them? maybe post a picture...
Also - whilst I admit I don't know much and haven't really got much of an idea about your issue, let alone how to fix it - could it have something to do with halogens having seperate dip/main bulbs, and xenon having the one bulb with a moveable shutter? (think I got that right. Maybe)

Edit: Somehow my post got stuck in cyberspace and I see that before it actually appeared there has been some tech speak from more knowledgeable people than I who appear to know some things. So I shall now look for a dark corner to hide in...
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.