Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof rubbing off roll hoop covers

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Dr. Zed

Post by Dr. Zed » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:48 am

Hi all,

This might be a bit of on add question, and perhaps it's normal but is the roof meant to rub off the plastic covers when being powered and raised?

I spent an entire weekend recolouring my covers with plasti dip. They were a pain to get out but was so happy with the results.

Reinstalled them and the first time I put the roof down I noticed it had just peeled the plasti dip off on either corner.
Maybe I need plastikote or something similar but just wondering if this is normal. It's not something I would have paid attention to previously.

Thanks!
Maldives Blue 2.5i E85

pilch

Post by pilch » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:30 pm

I've noticed that roof lining on mine makes contact with the hoop covers. Whether it's normal or not I don't know but can't see how it wouldn't :?

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:34 pm

It’s possible that (as with mine) someone had previously been in the roof lining and not put it back together properly?

There are a few fixings and straps that make sure it doesn’t foul on the hoops
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

BumpyZ4

Post by BumpyZ4 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:05 pm

Mine rubs too. It must be the German engineering that you read about.
Last edited by BumpyZ4 on Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2003 E85 3.0i Sterling Gray
KLR 650
Diva Roadster (Kit Car)

Zulu4

Post by Zulu4 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:04 pm

Mine rubs.
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

Dr. Zed

Post by Dr. Zed » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:17 am

Thanks for all the responses! Seems it might be normal. Might need to get a more durable paint solution for it then!

@bigwinn this did cross my mind but there doesn't seem to be any signs of tampering. I'd expect the roof lining to sag or show signs where someone tried to get behind it but nada. The same can't be said for my interior reading lights though. Someone went at that thing and made an absolute mess of the plastic around it. Clearly used a screwdriver instead of a plastic tool.
Maldives Blue 2.5i E85

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:32 am

Dr. Zed wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:17 am Thanks for all the responses! Seems it might be normal. Might need to get a more durable paint solution for it then!

@bigwinn this did cross my mind but there doesn't seem to be any signs of tampering. I'd expect the roof lining to sag or show signs where someone tried to get behind it but nada. The same can't be said for my interior reading lights though. Someone went at that thing and made an absolute mess of the plastic around it. Clearly used a screwdriver instead of a plastic tool.
Just from experience- my 1st Z didnt rub so never looked for issues

The current one did, and when I fixed the roof loom break it was clear someone had been in before and done a half assed job of putting it all back together- which wasnt evident on first look?

But looking at the amount of rubbers on here it may just be a Z thing!
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me

Dr. Zed

Post by Dr. Zed » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:37 pm

bigwinn wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:32 am
Just from experience- my 1st Z didnt rub so never looked for issues

The current one did, and when I fixed the roof loom break it was clear someone had been in before and done a half assed job of putting it all back together- which wasnt evident on first look?

But looking at the amount of rubbers on here it may just be a Z thing!
Hmm, the fact it rubs doesn't bother me per se, but it's the hassle and work it took to plasti dip the covers for the roof to then just peel the corners of the plasti dip off. I might need to have a look again at the roof. Any suggestions where to look and how to fix it?
Maldives Blue 2.5i E85

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:59 pm

It will cost you nowt to undo the plastic cover at the headlining of the roof

If I recall it’s open the hood to like 3/5th of the way open- it may slowly creep so a second pair of hands will help keeping it in place

Undo the 7 t20 screws on the plastic cover- the two side ones only present themselves when the roof is in this position.

Let the roof lining sag down and look at the void inbetween to see if there is anything remiss or undone

I’ll find the thread where I undid mine to get to the loom

EWS Delete PM me

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:06 pm

EWS Delete PM me

MichaelK

Post by MichaelK » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:42 pm

Mine rubs because it has the horrible leather windbreaker that wraps over the roll over hoops.
Really want one of the normal 3 piece mesh ones but its money that could be spent elsewhere at the moment.