Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Spacer fitting advice, copper grease??

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
JSz4

Post by JSz4 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:26 pm

Have a set of Bimecc spacers arriving today, 12/15mm, planned to clean the surface of the hub with a wire brush and the mating surface of the alloy but just wondered if anyone had any fitting tips.

Read comments on here previously recommending using copper grease to avoid the spacer fusing to the hub but also comments saying avoid doing this!

Cheers Jeremy

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:31 pm

I always put the smallest smear of copper grease on the mating faces, both on the spacer to hub, and wheel to spacer.
The discussions are more often with regard to copper grease on the bolt threads. Whilst this can prevent them sticking, it also affects the tightening torque, less resistance due to the grease meaning the bolts go round a little bit further before the torque is reached.
Again this seems to come down to personal preference, but my advice would be yes, do the mating faces, but leave the bolt threads alone.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

TheDan

Post by TheDan » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:42 pm

I fitted 10mm spacers to mine recently and decided against copper grease between disc and spacer but I still grease between wheel and spacer.

The reason I omit the grease between disc and spacer is because I actually don't mind if the spacer fuses slightly to the disc (as long as it can be knocked off with a crowbar or similar). Also, I fitted new coated discs with new spacers so the contact surfaces are super clean and rust free.

This way whenever my car goes to a garage for wheels off work (or I do my own wheels off work) the spacer doesn't fall off with the wheel and either the garage or myself forget to put it back or lose it. Plus when the garage does refit a spacer that falls off I guarantee they wont copper grease it.

In regard to what enuff_zed says about greasing the bolt threads... its a big no no for me personally.

PDJ

Post by PDJ » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:52 pm

If you look at torque settings for bolts with and without grease it is around 10-15% differance

PDJ

Post by PDJ » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:53 pm

When was the last time you had your torque wrench calibrated

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:05 pm

PDJ wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:53 pm When was the last time you had your torque wrench calibrated
Torque wrench? Wheel bolts are three white knuckles on a 1/2" drive ratchet handle. :rofl:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Jl-c

Post by Jl-c » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:21 pm

PDJ wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:53 pm When was the last time you had your torque wrench calibrated
every twelve months, one of the few benefits of working at a cal house :thumbsup:
Ex E86 Z4 3.0si coupé facelift blue now Z'less
Porsche 997 C2S black-gone-, Mazda Eunos 1.8 yellow-gone-, Audi S4 Avant v6 Quattro 3.0 supercharged red-gone. Abarth 500 red. Abarth 124 Spider GT black. Porsche Cayenne red.

iiNNeX

Post by iiNNeX » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:37 pm

I also have a set of 12/15 bimmecs arriving soon, I usually apply a tiny amount of copper grease between spacer and wheel, they will be going on new discs so surfaces are not rusty thus shouldn't fuse so badly. I also use copper greases on wheel bolts but again a VERY small amount. Torque wrench is a good investment but can do fine without once as you get a "feel" for how tight something is.
'07 E85 Z4 2.5Si Sport Individual - Manual - Build Journal - Now gone
Ruby Black / Champagne Extended Nappa

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:32 pm

Greasing advocate here.
Grease on everything in fact. Spacer, wheel, disc faces. Always on bolt threads after a clean. Door hinges, spark plugs, brake assemblies, my creaky left knee. You name it, I'll grease it!
:evil: :lol:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.